News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The more random than that other thread thread

Started by James Gryphon, October 09, 2017, 04:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

Persephone ate six pomegranate seeds while in Hades in Greek mythology, so then she had to stay there for six months out of the year.  Sounds super risky to eat a bunch of pomegranates...

(Thankee!  Ling and Greedling are both awesome. XD  ...Wait, have you started watching FMAB?!)
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on March 28, 2019, 05:02:41 PM
But then she'll be stuck in Hades forever!
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on March 28, 2019, 05:29:23 PM
Persephone ate six pomegranate seeds while in Hades in Greek mythology, so then she had to stay there for six months out of the year.  Sounds super risky to eat a bunch of pomegranates...

(Thankee!  Ling and Greedling are both awesome. XD  ...Wait, have you started watching FMAB?!)

Pardon me, bit of a Greek mythology junkie here. Hades is the actual God of the Underworld, technically speaking Persephone had to stay in the Underworld. Also, Hades kidnapped her and she was down there for a while before eating and technically she should have stayed the whole year around but her mother, Demeter, was angry and bitter and made it winter so Hades came to an agreement for the 6 months thing. This was your crash course in How The Ancient Greeks Believed The Seasons Worked, asked for by.... No one. XD

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Maudie

But, like, why was she not supposed to eat? I am confusion.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Cornflower MM

If she ate or drank anything, she'd be stuck in the Underworld forever. It's been a while but it's something about eating food of the Underworld traps you there.

Also I was wrong - She only ate one seed, and she stays in the Underworld for 1/3rd of the year. Not 6 months.

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Cornflower MM on March 31, 2019, 06:18:53 AM
If she ate or drank anything, she'd be stuck in the Underworld forever. It's been a while but it's something about eating food of the Underworld traps you there.

Also I was wrong - She only ate one seed, and she stays in the Underworld for 1/3rd of the year. Not 6 months.
Hmm...Learn something new every day. ;D
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Cornflower MM

Tungro

I was commissioned to find a dead rat under someones house, didn't take me long...

Ouroboros

Tungro

Commissioned in the sense, "You have to earn your food" :P

Ouroboros

That's... probably illegal, and certainly not a commission.

Cornflower MM

Tungro