News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

CoMe HeRe WhEn YoU ArE BoReD

Started by Matthias720, June 12, 2011, 04:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icefire

...and "Dúlamán" means seaweed!
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Tiria Wildlough

Have you seen this website? That's where I learned about Gaelic pronounciation. Though I'm a bit confuzzled about slender and broad consonants. ???
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Redwallfan7

"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Nightfire

Quote from: MatthiasMan on April 23, 2012, 10:42:46 PM
Same with ring around the rosy......Ashes, ashes, we all fall DOWN! What kind of line is that!?! Eh?

Warning: the following may upset those who have previously loved this rhyme, or are sensitive to gross stuff:

That song was actually written during the Black Death. The lyrics are:

"Ring around the rosie,
A pocket full of posies,
Ashes! Ashes!
We all fall down!"

The point of this is simple. During the Black Death, then the buboes and sores covering the body were rose-colored. So that's what 'the rosie' symbolizes. The 'ring' around the rosie represents the fact that there were ring-shaped rashes that often surrounded the sores. The 'posies' symbolize how people often carried flowers in their pockets to ward off the disease and bad smell of death. The 'ashes, ashes' part represents how the people's dead bodies were burned. And the 'we all fall down'....well, that told of how no one was safe from the Black Death.  At least, this is what I learned from several resources.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Redwall Musician

Interesting. On a different note, here are some words of evil smartness:

"If you practice hard and try your best, you might win. But if you cheat, you always win!"
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Icefire

@ Nightfire: Have you read this before?

QuoteMany have associated the poem with the Great Plague which happened in England in 1665, or with earlier outbreaks of the Black Death in England. Interpreters of the rhyme before the Second World War make no mention of this; by 1951, however, it seems to have become well established as an explanation for the form of the rhyme that had become standard in the United Kingdom. Peter and Iona Opie remark: "The invariable sneezing and falling down in modern English versions have given would-be origin finders the opportunity to say that the rhyme dates back to the Great Plague. A rosy rash, they allege, was a symptom of the plague, posies of herbs were carried as protection and to ward off the smell of the disease. Sneezing or coughing was a final fatal symptom, and 'all fall down' was exactly what happened." The line Ashes, Ashes in alternative versions of the rhyme is claimed to refer variously to cremation of the bodies, the burning of victims' houses, or blackening of their skin, and the theory has been adapted to be applied to other versions of the rhyme. In its various forms, the interpretation has entered into popular culture and has been used elsewhere to make oblique reference to the plague.

Many folklore scholars regard the theory as baseless for several reasons:

1.The explanation appeared very late;
2.The symptoms described do not fit especially well with the Great Plague.
3.The great variety of forms makes it unlikely that the modern form is the most ancient one, and the words on which the interpretation are based are not found in many of the earliest records of the rhyme
4.European and 19th-century versions of the rhyme suggest that this "fall" was not a literal falling down, but a curtsy or other form of bending movement that was common in other dramatic singing games.

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Redwallfan7 on April 25, 2012, 04:57:13 PM
Who here likes funtrivia.com?
Wow, I never thought I'd meet another member here. What's your account name? I'm Daaanieeel over there. I only have one Redwall quiz (on warcries), and it is one of my worst. That'll soon change.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Nightfire

Quote from: Icefire on April 25, 2012, 08:59:09 PM

QuoteMany have associated the poem with the Great Plague which happened in England in 1665, or with earlier outbreaks of the Black Death in England. Interpreters of the rhyme before the Second World War make no mention of this; by 1951, however, it seems to have become well established as an explanation for the form of the rhyme that had become standard in the United Kingdom. Peter and Iona Opie remark: "The invariable sneezing and falling down in modern English versions have given would-be origin finders the opportunity to say that the rhyme dates back to the Great Plague. A rosy rash, they allege, was a symptom of the plague, posies of herbs were carried as protection and to ward off the smell of the disease. Sneezing or coughing was a final fatal symptom, and 'all fall down' was exactly what happened." The line Ashes, Ashes in alternative versions of the rhyme is claimed to refer variously to cremation of the bodies, the burning of victims' houses, or blackening of their skin, and the theory has been adapted to be applied to other versions of the rhyme. In its various forms, the interpretation has entered into popular culture and has been used elsewhere to make oblique reference to the plague.

3.The great variety of forms makes it unlikely that the modern form is the most ancient one, and the words on which the interpretation are based are not found in many of the earliest records of the rhyme
4.European and 19th-century versions of the rhyme suggest that this "fall" was not a literal falling down, but a curtsy or other form of bending movement that was common in other dramatic singing games.

I've never read it before, but it seems to correspond with everything I said on the poem.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Icefire

Quote from: Nightfire on April 26, 2012, 04:16:22 PM
Quote from: Icefire on April 25, 2012, 08:59:09 PM

I've never read it before, but it seems to correspond with everything I said on the poem.

Apparently you didn't finish reading the quote then because it actually talks about why that theory is probably not correct.

Nightfire

*shrug*

I used to intentionally fall onto my brother at the last line of that rhyme. XD

MatthiasMan

Who here has ever been to www.coolmath-games.com ?

Redwallfan7

"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

MatthiasMan

i'm so close to becoming a full member (five stars)

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: MatthiasMan on April 27, 2012, 02:42:54 AM
i'm so close to becoming a full member (five stars)
Quality over quantity. :)
Received mostly negative reviews.

Tiria Wildlough

My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.