News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Star Wars discussion

Started by blindsimeonjtp, October 07, 2012, 03:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izeroth

I disagree on your point that it would've happened without Anakin. If Anakin hadn't been there, Mace Windu could've executed Palpatine and saved the Republic.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Izeroth on December 04, 2014, 03:26:20 AM
I disagree on your point that it would've happened without Anakin. If Anakin hadn't been there, Mace Windu could've executed Palpatine and saved the Republic.

That already happened.  ::) Anakin didn't fight Obi-Wan until after Mace Windu was killed. If the Masters had succeeded, then Order 66 would've failed in it's entirety wouldn't it? I'm pretty sure that was before Order 66 was executed (quite literally).
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Izeroth

I was kind of talking about Anakin in general, not necessarily the Obi-wan/Anakin scene.

Hickory

Any jar jar binks lover needs to be...  words do not describe my loathing.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Søren

I thought I could tolerate Jar Jar, then I saw the movie again and put my foot down. Can't stand that little Gungian.

I'm retired from the forum

Dannflower Reguba

What do people have against Jar Jar!? Now, don't get me wrong, he wasn't awesome by any means, but you can not tell me that you never laughed at him.... If you do, you're either a liar, or soulless.  :P  ::) Admittedly, a lot of his gags were predictable stupidity jokes, but that still doesn't change anything.

I forgot how much we covered the cross-guard lightsaber, but I gotta say I've heard so many opinions it's just.... I can't... I'm not finishing that phrase. But yeah, great idea, executed improperly. I might've said this before, but the only reason it isn't viable is the fact that the emitters for the side blades have emission sticks (my random name for those little metal thingies that stick out of the side to produce the blade). They could be cut off, the only metal on that part should be below the emission only, not above... Am I making sense?

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Hickory

Has anybody read How star wars conquered the galaxy? by chris taylor? You'd be surprised how... poch jar jar was in the first draft of Phantom Menace.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The Skarzs

Quote from: danflorreguba on December 22, 2014, 06:15:39 AM
      I forgot how much we covered the cross-guard lightsaber, but I gotta say I've heard so many opinions it's just.... I can't... I'm not finishing that phrase. But yeah, great idea, executed improperly. I might've said this before, but the only reason it isn't viable is the fact that the emitters for the side blades have emission sticks (my random name for those little metal thingies that stick out of the side to produce the blade). They could be cut off, the only metal on that part should be below the emission only, not above... Am I making sense?
I would recommend watching a video done by Skallagrim on the matter.
In case anyone didn't look it up, I'll sum it up.
The original lightsabers had absolutely no protection for the hand; it seems like an easy weakness for anyone fighting would be to simply slide their blade down their opponent's and buzz off their fingers. Even though it's a bit obvious that there is metal between the protective blades and the handle, at least it's more protection than nothing.
Of course, if you really want to go and be all "It's just as well if they didn't have any protection at all if it's going to have a weakness like that", I don't see why the metal it is made of can't be a lightsaber-resistant metal. There is an entire list of metals that can stop the lightsaber blade, and it would be worth it to invest in such metals for some possibly necessary protection.
As for the guard being made of the same stuff that can cut through a body effortlessly, yes that seems a bit far-fetched. It would make more sense to have a cross-guard made of saber-stopping metal.

It doesn't have to be very big to save your hand.
Last thing to remember is that this is Disney, Hollywood: Do you think they would have a sensible black cross-guard in their trailer, or some flashing lights that shock people because it's new and unexpected?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

MatthiasMan

All I can say is..... CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!

Who else is practically jumping off walls with excitement!?!? :D :D

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: The Skarzs on December 22, 2014, 05:22:26 PM
Quote from: danflorreguba on December 22, 2014, 06:15:39 AM
I would recommend watching a video done by Skallagrim on the matter.
In case anyone was too lazy to look it up, I'll sum it up.
The original lightsabers had absolutely no protection for the hand; it seems like an easy weakness for anyone fighting would be to simply slide their blade down their opponent's and buzz off their fingers. Even though it's a bit obvious that there is metal between the protective blades and the handle, at least it's more protection than nothing.
Of course, if you really want to go and be all "It's just as well if they didn't have any protection at all if it's going to have a weakness like that", I don't see why the metal it is made of can't be a lightsaber-resistant metal. There is an entire list of metals that can stop the lightsaber blade, and it would be worth it to invest in such metals for some possibly necessary protection.
As for the guard being made of the same stuff that can cut through a body effortlessly, yes that seems a bit far-fetched. It would make more sense to have a cross-guard made of saber-stopping metal.

It doesn't have to be very big to save your hand.
Last thing to remember is that this is Disney, Hollywood: Do you think they would have a sensible black cross-guard in their trailer, or some flashing lights that shock people because it's new and unexpected?

Okay, first off, don't use derogatory words like "lazy" to describe other people, especially when you write a post that makes it sound like you're angry at someone because you honestly sound like you're upset right now (calling people lazy, sarcastic implications of a contenders response, uncalled for company insult). I'm trying really hard not to get riled..... Not to mention, all you posted was a name and doc type, we've got no address, doesn't that technically make you the lazy one?  ::)

Anyway, it's very possible that the metal emissions could be made out of vibro or some such other material and that's not something I considered (especially since the lightsaber eventually cuts through most of those anyway... except for vibro as before mentioned, I've yet to see that material cut through). But that would be a potential waste of material if the energy source for another way to stop (possibly more effectively) is already there, the only thing needed is a firm way to grip the handle without risking touching them which is why I recommended having a metal underside. Traditionally, Jedi and Sith use lightsabers, so it'd make sense for them to stick with that than to invest in something foreign... And they could possibly be used as a weapon even,  whereas a metal cross guard could not. I'm not saying it's not possible, but all things considered, wouldn't it just make more sense this way?

The Skarzs

Well excuse me for having you take insult at a simple poke in fun that I did not mean seriously. If I could post a link I would have. Please refrain from assuming my intentions, or just bite your tongue.
You do not know me when I am angry, and that previous post was definitely not me being upset in the least; I was trying to relay information that I though logical.

Now, it might not necessarily make more sense to have sabers form the guard because I'm pretty sure it requires a semi-lengthy tube to make the saber work properly, and basically sticking two mini-lightsabers to the handle opposite each other just doesn't make much sense to me. It's not like having something be a defense and offense is a bad idea; I think that would be a great advantage one could use, and it might be worth the effort of making a safe saber-blade guard. However. . . Wouldn't a guard itself be foreign enough? I mean, if one were to go so away from the orthodox to make a guard at all, making a guard out of blade would be just as alien as making it out of metal.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Dannflower Reguba

And you still sound angry! If you're not upset, than why are you highlighting sarcasm that's obviously not appreciated? Why on earth can't you post a link? If you can't post a link, that's another reason why you've got no right to call people lazy, that's just rude! Also, telling someone to bite their tongue is essentially the same as saying, "shut up your stupid." in the context you're using it in. If you want to relay information, than great! I'd absolutely love to hear it! But kindly do us a favor and don't word it in such a way that makes it sound like you're trying to shove something in someone else's face. I want to have a conversation about a simple thing, but if it's just going to be an argument than what's the point?

As far as the cross guard being foreign goes, I heard from someone who read the books that they actually used to be fairly common, or at least not un-heard of. The reason a lightsaber is a long tube is because it has to house the technology to emit the blade, the tech is already there, so in theory, those extra tubes aren't necessary. I don't claim to be an expert on any of this, not at all, this is just my take on my observations.

Søren

Who's to say this is the "new" lightsaber? This may be a one-person thing. Darth Maul had a double sided one, but not everyone did. Plus, at the end of the teaser, if you listen closely, you hear a lightsaber turned on. Its the classic "swoosh" of the one-bladed, no cross gaurd lightsabers. But when it shows the Sith lord's one, it makes the initial "swoosh", then a second sound when the cross guard is turned on. So maybe this is a unique lightsaber.

I'm retired from the forum

James Gryphon

Chill, y'all.

Vibroblades were just ordinary blades that were rapidly vibrated to increase their damage; they wouldn't be lightsaber-resistant unless the materials they were made from were lightsaber resistant.

There were several of those, although since the EU has recently been de-canonized, I'm not sure how much of that is still "real". That said, though, the EU had at least two resistant materials that I know of, cortosis and phrik.

Pure cortosis was not only lightsaber-resistant, but could actually short out lightsabers, but had the disadvantage of being brittle and much less durable than other metals. You could make a cortosis/durasteel alloy or something else, which would make it stronger and retain the lightsaber resistance, but at the expense of not being able to short the lightsaber out. Phrik was not only lightsaber resistant but durable in other aspects as well. I believe General Grievous' bodyguards were said to have had phrik electrostaves.

Now that the EU has been decanonized, I'm not sure whether cortosis still exists. Phrik might, since I think it was invented for the prequel trilogy. If so, then the lightsaber could have a phrik covering, which would give the user's hand some protection from other people's lightsabers (of course, he'd still be in danger from his own, thanks to not having any protection for his hands against his 'crossguard' ;)).

It might be a moot point, though, because there's a theory that the normal lightsaber might not be as vulnerable as you'd think -- some people say that their blades "lock" together on contact. If that's true, then you couldn't necessarily just slide your lightsaber down the length of your opponent's blade and chop their weapon or hand apart. The crossguard might be intended for use as a weapon in case of these kinds of locks.

Of course, the real reason why it exists is because of "three blades". After all: in the first of the prequels, there was a guy who had a double-bladed lightsaber. In the second one, somebody fights with two lightsabers. In the third there's a guy that uses four of them at once. So, obviously there needs to be a lightsaber with three blades in the new trilogy.
« Subject to editing »

Izeroth

With the Eu being de-canonized, I wonder if Boba Fett is still alive?