The Quest for Romance: The Hunt for the Lashkeel

Started by Rainshadow, November 16, 2012, 04:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

Nonsense!! Stellaluna had snuck aboard a ship only to find out they were going after pirates? The chipmunk surely had no luck. Her distaste clearly showed as her lips softly parted to form a little gasp. Just then a rather powerful swell rocked the ship, sending scattered waves of seaspray all over the deck. Stella instinctively ducked to escape the coming wetness, but it backfired on her. Having been a landlubber all her life, Stella had no sea legs. As the white chipmunk bent down, she lost her footing and slipped forward, sending her right into the path of an oncoming blast of water. Stellaluna was soaked.

"Agha!! Oh, confounded-" Her words were cut off as another gush of sea silenced her lips. The wet deck slided her around for a bit before she sputtered herself back to her feet. This day simply could not get any more embarrasing.

"Please, hrghff.. explain.. why are we going after p-pirates again? You'll have to excuse me.. I hit my head awhile ago and I am not myself.. "
No, that won't work.. it makes too much sense!!

Rainshadow

Cooper put a paw on the chipmunk maid's back, a concerned expression on his face.  "Are ye alright, miss?"
  Tempest decided to answer the maiden' question.  "Well, we're goin' after the pirates 'cause they've captured a hare.  Cooper an' Brielle, the two wildcats, were previous pirates on that ship, an' they've agreed to 'elp us find 'em."
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Paradox

Stellaluna flinched as she felt the wildcat's paw on her back. Looking up, she stared at him with tired eyes. All her life she had been afraid and doubtful and untrusting. It showed, too.

"I.. Yes.. yes I'm fine, thank you.. who are you?"

Quote from: Rainshadow on December 16, 2012, 02:58:14 AM
  "Well, we're goin' after the pirates 'cause they've captured a hare.  Cooper an' Brielle, the two wildcats, were previous pirates on that ship, an' they've agreed to 'elp us find 'em."

Stella turned to glance at Tempest as she explained the situation. It sounded rather precarious.. and she knew that somewhere along the way someone would get hurt, or worse, be killed. The thought made her cringe. But she had nowhere else to go.. and she couldn't just abandon these beasts. Stella was a doctor, after all. Albeit a bit new, but the chipmunk knew how to take care of many things.

"I see.. well, I have many medical supplies on hand for all of you if anyone gets hurt, when the time comes. Just seek me out."

Rainshadow

"I.. Yes.. yes I'm fine, thank you.. who are you?"

Cooper nodded his head.  "Ah, yeah, I should probably tell ye that.  The name's Cooper."  He gave his most charming smile and removed his paw from her back, holding it out to her in friendship.
  "Wot might yer name be, miss?  Surely it ain't 'Miss,' is it?"
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Paradox

"Cooper.. " She repeated the name, sounding it out as if for the first time. The big wildcat gave a rather big smile at her and held out his hand. Stella half expected him to grab her and then make her his dinner or something.. After all, she'd never met a cat before.

"Wot might yer name be, miss?  Surely it ain't 'Miss,' is it?"

This made her laugh, but the chipmunk caught herself, only allowing a soft chuckle, covering her mouth with her paw.

"Aheheh.. I am Stellaluna.. but you can call me Stella or Luna, or whatever fits your fancy, sir. You're the first cat I've ever seen before.. well.. the first that didn't try to eat me!"

Rainshadow

Cooper shrugged, his smile still wide.  "Well, I guess I'm just not hungry."  He laughed at his own joke, but not very loud, suddenly realizing that he might just scare Stellaluna with his joke.
  Tempest also smiled at that.  She had never met a wildcat that had joked around like this.  In fact, she had never actually met a wildcat, so this was a first for her!

Paradox

Stella gulped a bit, her head lowering a bit in uncertainty. But she tried to play it off cool, managing to slouch her body in a relaxed posture. She began laughing nervously. Another swell rocked the large ship, and the white chipmunk swayed to and fro a bit, her ditzy legs shambling around as she grabbed the railing and looked down at the ocean. Huge rolling swells passed by the starboard side, causing the landscape to fly up and down. Nauseated, Stella began to get dizzy.

"Oh my goodness.. "

Rainshadow

The concerned expression returned to Cooper's face.  "Are ye alright, Stella?  Do ye need to go below?"

BrookSkimmer

The lookouts on the Lashkeel had spotted the Freebeasts. A messenger went below to notify thew captain. The dark otter sat in her chair, pondering what she would do once the treasure on the island they were headed to was found. She had sent Birata to check on the slaves again. Though she liked Birata she could not stand being around him for too long.

"Captain!" The weasel aide stammered as he burst into the captain's private quaters. Raven shot up from her chair and fixed the weasel with an icy stare.

"This had better be good or ye will take a turn at the oars with the slaves. Out with it!"

"Captain Brinewater, we've spotted a ship not far from here. I don't know which one it is but perhaps you do."

Raven swirled her sea cloak around her shoulders and went up to the decks. The weasel handed he a spy glass and she looked out towards the Freebeasts.

"Tis is goodbeast ship. I don't remember the name but I've seen it before in port." She slammed the spy glass down and tossed it to the weasel. "Make the new headed two points east of that ship, we'll cross by and see if the crew wants a spot of raiding." She chuckled. "Bring me Birata."

Brielle's stomach dropped as she kept an eye of the Lashkeel. At first she supposed the evil ship would not spot them, but then she saw the sails change.

The she cat wished she had more time for formalities. She would have liked to introduce herself to the chipmunk. However, now was not the time.

"I'm sorry to interrupt. Miss Stella was it? Perhaps you should go below decks." She motioned to Cooper and then spoke quietly to him.

"I just saw the Lashkeel change course. It is coming this way. What should be do?"

Rikkendo overheard Brielle. "We must fight them and take back the slaves that ship carries!"

Acorn eyed Stella. "I don't know about you but I've never fought before. What should we do?" Though she hardly knew the chipmunk, Acorn thought that being a doctor, Stella might know what to do.

BrookSkimmer

OOC: Making this a double post so no one misses it. The Land HO! thread is now closed. All characters in that thread have now merged with this one. Feel free to post about the Rusty Scallop 's crew joining the Freebeasts. Grimly will sail the Rusty Scallop away as he does not wish to do battle with the Lashkeel.

Plot direction now is this:
Crew members merging onto the Freebeasts
Crew deciding what to do now that the Lashkeel has set course on them
We can leave it a few days before the ships actually meet, but at that point battle of some sort will take place

W0NWILL

Birata enjoyed being with the slaves, hearing them beg for mercy and groan in pain as the slave master, an old(for sea travel) ferret, crack the whip. And the new slave, Elay, cursed in her strange language and flinched whenever the whip came over her back, "Embleer elli." (Damn enemy.) She would always mutter.

It do Birata good to see she was fitting in so well.

The weasel aide came down the hatch and saluted to Birata, "Cap'n Brinewater wishes t'see ye, sir." He said the last word with a hint of contempt that, thankfully for the weasel, Birata didn't catch. He nodded, "Go up to the riggings and keep an eye on the other ships." He ordered. Birata went to the ladder, slipped a bit in the water that had splashed in from the portholes, and climbed out. He, this time, knocked on the door before entering.

Paradox

Stella took in a deep breath, holding on to the railing for support as she reassembled herself. She could do it.. she didn't have quite the strongest stomach for the sea, but when something serious happened, she could always manage to pull herself together for the wounded and dying. It was her job.

Are ye alright, Stella? Do ye need to go below?

The chipmunk rubbed her eyes, and stood a little straighter. She had to get ahold of herself. "I will be fine, Cooper.. thank you."

The other wild-cat who did not introduce herself to Stella piped up, her voice smooth and strong.

"I'm sorry to interrupt. Miss Stella was it? Perhaps you should go below decks."

She was right.. and Stella sensed that this pirate ship was already in sight. Her suspicions were rewarded as she heard some other beast speak up about fighting and taking the slaves back from the Lashkeel. Stella was no swordfighter.. and although she could throw a punch and a kick in, the cinnamon-tinged chipmunk knew that once a giant axe or a huge sword came her way she was finished.

Acorn the squirrel was still at Stella's side. She was a young one.. and looking around, the doctor realized that everyone was busy. Beasts conversing about what to do of the Lashkeel. Beasts with periscopes. Beasts manning the helm. Up in the riggings. A sense of responsibility grew on her as she looked at Acorn. She had to watch out for her. Her question of what to do came next.

"You should stick with me, Acorn.. we will be belowdecks in the hold.. the main deck will most likely be full of fighting. You could help me with the wounded as they come in.. I could show you how to take care of them. How does that sound?" She smiled reassuringly.

Rainshadow

Cooper nodded his thanks to Stella, having thought just moments before that Acorn might be too young for fighting.  He looked to Brielle, only to see that she was gesturing for him to come closer.  He took a few steps and leaned in close, feeling the shecat's breath on his fur.
  "I just saw the Lashkeel change course. It is coming this way. What should be do?"
  Cooper thought for a moment, then started speaking quietly, so he wouldn't worry other beasts.  "I think that we should stand an' fight, but I'm not so sure that all the other beasts'll want to do that.  After all," he continued, glancing at the other beasts on this ship, "do all these folks look like warriors to ye?  They're all still stumblin' about!  They wouldn't be able to stand straight up fer one minute, let alone try an' fight."

BrookSkimmer

You should stick with me, Acorn.. we will be below decks in the hold.. the main deck will most likely be full of fighting. You could help me with the wounded as they come in.. I could show you how to take care of them. How does that sound?

The younger squirrel felt a little bit of relief enter her as the chipmunk spoke. she didn't know Stella but she felt comforted by her. Perhaps it was that she was a doctor, or perhaps it was just the way she was. It didn't matter why, Acorn felt an immediate connection. Acorn was afraid of battle and of the wounds it would cause. However, she wanted to help and this seemed like a good way.

"That sounds like a good idea Stella." Acorn gave a small smile. "Should we sent up a sick bay below decks? I saw some canvas we could use to make covers for beds. And, maybe we should get some medicines ready too?" She waited for her new friend to lead the way down.

do all these folks look like warriors to ye?  They're all still stumblin' about!  They wouldn't be able to stand straight up fer one minute, let alone try an' fight.

Brielle took a look at the other crew beasts. It was true, some of them would not fair well in a fight. The young squirrel stood out, as did a few others. However, Stella had offered to watch over Acorn. Rikkendo had just offered his aid and he looked strong enough. There were many otters aboard now who could fight. Plus, they were two wild cats!

"Some of them don't look the part." She whispered into Cooper's ear. "But others," She motioned to Rikkendo who was brandishing his weapon. "will come to our aid." She reached out and took Cooper's paw. The she cat looked deep into the eyes of her handsome friend. "We must fight them Cooper. I'm afraid, but we must! Not just to save the slaves to to wipe out what Briewater stands for!" As she spoke her voice grew in volume until other would be able to hear.

Then her voice dropped down again and she kissed Cooper lightly before taking both his paws. She spoke softly to him. "And you must lead us to battle."
_______

Raven's ears flicked as the knock sounded at her door. She stood, tossing a gold coin in her paw.

"Come in."

Birata entered the room. Again Raven found herself needed to keep her mind focused. He was such a handsome beast. If this was another time, another place, she would have told him so. But that would not do. She was the Captain of a slaving pirate vessel and he was her lackey. It would not do for them to be together right now. Maybe someday,m when they reached the hidden island. Then she would tell him her feelings, but not now. Now it was time to plan a battle.

"Ah, Birata. Having fun tormenting our slaves I hear?" She did not wait for a response. "I'm sure you know by now that there is a ship not far from our current location. You will lead the charge of rounding up slaves from this ship. Kill any who resist too firmly, take all others as slaves."

She tapped the charts laying on her table. "After we take more slaves we will make a much quicker trip to our destination. Our island, and on it, treasure!"

The Lashkeel was ordered to pile on sails. The dark ship was now on a direct course for the Freebeasts!

Rainshadow

Cooper felt lightheaded as Brielle kissed him.  That was unexpected! he thought, staring at her in shock.  He quickly overcame that feeling and attempted to look less amazed at the fact that this pretty shecat had just kissed him.

"And you must lead us to battle."

Grasping both of Brielle's paws, Cooper gazed at her in wonder.  "Y-ye think I should lead these beasts?  I'm just an ex-pirate, I'm not a leader!"
  He looked at his footpaws, sighing.  What right did he have to lead them?  He was a simple vermin, not high up in the ranks.  "Mebbe Cap'n Buckler could lead 'em.  'E's a cap'n, after all!"

Tempest looked at Acorn and Stella.  "If it's alright wi' ye, I'd like to 'elp.  I don't want to fight.  I'd rather 'eal."

Meanwhile, on the Rusty Scallop, Avalanche was holding onto the riggings, standing on the mast.  He peered into the distance, stretching his vision, trying to see the other ship.  Was Tempest with them?  He dearly hoped she was.  He didn't think he'd be able to bear it if she had been left behind in Mossflower, or if she'd been captured.