Started by Jetthebinturong, February 28, 2013, 06:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Redwaller

Hmmm, I have it on the tip of my mind.........................
...................................................................................
....................................................................................
.......................... Are they some sort of monsters that live in marshes?

Probably not.

Jetthebinturong

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: Redwaller on April 15, 2013, 08:23:29 PM
QuoteWhat is a Barghest?
It's a werewolf?

Nope, it's someone you invite to share a chocolate bar with you - the modern version is spelt barguest.  ;)

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on April 15, 2013, 10:23:01 PM
Quote from: Redwaller on April 15, 2013, 08:23:29 PM
QuoteWhat is a Barghest?
It's a werewolf?

Nope, it's someone you invite to share a chocolate bar with you - the modern version is spelt barguest.  ;)

No it isn't no jokes please

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Aye, ve already 'ave a zread for zat.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Jetthebinturong

Jetthebinturong

I am now going to post the answers to my first round of questions

where does the saying between a rock and a hard place come from? (yes that is related to mythology) It comes from between a rock and a whirlpool which in turn comes from between Scylla and Charybdis. Scylla and Charybdis were monsters from Greek mythology, Charybdis inhabited a whirlpool, she sucked in water and spat it back out at oncoming ships. If you wanted to avoid her you had to move closer to the rock that Scylla was on she would shoot down her six heads and pick sailors up from the decks of the ship

What is the difference between a griffin and a hippogriff? A hippogriff is a crossbreed between a griffin and a horse, it has the back legs of a horse and the front half of an eagle

What is a Barghest? A Barghest is a large black dog with huge teeth and claws, their folklore comes from the north of England, there is a particularly famous Barghest supposed to be living in a gorge called Troller's Gill, a Barghest looks something like this

What is black shuck? Black Shuck is a spectral black hound believed to be a form of a long dead earl, in 1577 it supposedly attacked St Mary's church in Bungay and the scratch marks he left on the door can still be seen

What is the difference between a phoenix and a firebird? A phoenix is reborn, a firebird isn't pretty simple. Congratulations to Cregga Rose eyes who is the only person to get this

What is Cetus? Cetus was a sea monster from Greek mythology that was sent by Poseidon to destroy Aethiopia. In order to placate the beast the king and queen chained their daughter Andromeda to a rock to sacrifice her to Cetus, however as the monster was about to devour Andromeda Perseus came back from his task to kill Medusa and used the Gorgon's head to turn Cetus to stone

What were Medusa's sisters called? Sthenno and Eurayle

What is the blood of gods and titans called? Ichor only Rusvulthesaber got that

Were there any more cyclopes than Polyphemus THAT ARE MENTIONED in Greek mythology? Brontes, Steropes and Arges the sons of Uranus

Who was Argus? A giant with 100 eyes created by Hera

What was the name of the owner of Pegasus? Bellerophon

What was the name of Odysseus' aide? Mentor

What was the name of Odysseus' wife? Penelope

What was the name of Odysseus' son? Telemachus

Who was Prometheus' brother? Epimetheus

What was Prometheus' brother's wife called? Pandora only Rusvulthesaber got that

Why is she famous? She opened the box that contained all the evils of the world+hope Rusvul got that too

How was the minotaur born? detail the exact cause. Minos of Crete pledged to Poseidon that he would sacrifice the next thing Poseidon sent to him. Poseidon formed a white bull from the wave crests and gave it to Minos to sacrifice but Minos thought it was too beautiful to sacrifice and sacrificed a normal bull instead. Poseidon went into fit of rage that Minos had broken his promise so he enchanted Minos' wife to fall in love with the Cretan bull and the Minotaur was born
Feel free to post more questions