"Run like a hare and fight like a Bear..."

Started by Tam and Martin, June 07, 2013, 07:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osu

Yanno, I don't believe I've thrown my two cents in on this one... I'm still looking for the book this line appears in, it isn't Mattimeo and I can't find my copy of High Rhulain.... sad, sad day. :'(

Normally I would say that since bears are named, period, they are canon -- however, they are mentioned only once in passing (to my knowledge) in the series, much the same way horses and cows are, before, I think, BJ had the world of Redwall worked out. For this reason I don't think of horses as a canon species. I'd put bears in that same category. Something worth exploring in fanfiction, but not a likely candidate for a Redwall character in an official book, as exciting as that sounds!

But I'm going to pretend I think they're canon anyway. :D I would say bears would be characters in much the same way whales and sharks are. That the sentient characters might think of them in a mythological sense is an interesting theory, but dragons are mentioned multiple times in the series (and somebeast(s) at Salamandastron even carved what they fondly imagined a dragon head to look like), so I don't think bears and dragons would be reckoned in a similar manner.

Something as huge and magical as a dragon would work well to represent an active volcano and would therefore be a plausible thing to bring up when talking about Salamandastron. Bears are.... well, bears. Animals, flesh and blood, clearly not in the same category as mice and weasels but not high enough up the chain of legends to be considered a myth.

[/My two cents. ;D]
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Maudie

Actually, this was in High Rhulain, and by that book I'm fairly certain Jacques had a fairly good idea about what the world of Redwall was gonna be like, so you can't say that it was before it was developed.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Osu

*still can't find my copy of High Rhulain* ....I believe you! ;D Whelp, looks like it's the whale theory for me. I think there's also evidence there for the "creatures from a faraway land" idea, too, if Frunk was the one to sing it. If anybeast had the ability to find another coast with bears, it'd be him.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Tam and Martin

The Hares sang that song together after they won the battle of Green Isle.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Tam and Martin on July 15, 2013, 08:37:12 PM
The Hares sang that song together after they won the battle of Green Isle.
Which clearly states that it was a common song amongst hairs, which means that they must have known what bears are.
In a way, it might be impossible to say that bears are just a mythical creature in the world of Redwall. Because if they are real in this world, why aren't they real in that world? BJ himself said that he would (and did) only use creatures native to his area. And, it just so happens, that bears are native to his area. So, what if he was implying that bears are real in the world of Redwall, just they live far, far, far away from the place that we read about in the series?
That's my true opinion on the subject. :)

Life is too short to rush through it.

Sailears

...but you'll never be better than MtW!

;)

Edit: maybe too obscure.
My ears, how are you, wot!

Ungatt Trunn

Life is too short to rush through it.

Sailears

^Yeah apologies, too obscure, nevermind.

(Reminded me of commander shepard song - "fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than...")
My ears, how are you, wot!

Rusvul

Honestly. This is completely irrelevant. Bears exist IRL, and as a writer, does every single word you write have to be completely in character? If you want to pick nits, I mean, how do the storytellers in the prologue tell a tale that's this detailed? How do they ever know the thoughts of that red-shirt vermin? Or his name? There's so many things that don't fit in perfectly, and would be really weird if it was an accurate historical history book, but it's fiction. Written by an author for enjoyment. There isn't a logical in-characer explanation. There doesn't have to be.

Sorry for being a wet blanket. Is it really obvious that I'm depressed as of writing this  :'(?

Buzz_Bumble

That reminds me of the idiotic questions we used to get in school English (LIterature) exams: "What was the author thinking when they wrote {insert scene from book / movie / play}?"

I always felt like writing answers like:
  • How should I know I can't mind read.
and
  • He was probably trying to decide what to have for dinner.
  • He was probably worrying about whether the could finish another chapter by the end of the week.
  • He was probably trying to figure out how he could pay his bills when the money from the book was still months away.
or
  • I only read the silly book because you forced me to. It's pure boring drivel.
The only only school subject more useless is physical education / sports class. ::)

The Shade

They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Maudie

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on July 23, 2013, 07:56:50 AM
That reminds me of the idiotic questions we used to get in school English (LIterature) exams: "What was the author thinking when they wrote {insert scene from book / movie / play}?"

and
  • He was probably worrying about whether the could finish another chapter by the end of the week.
  • He was probably trying to figure out how he could pay his bills when the money from the book was still months away.
or
The only only school subject more useless is physical education / sports class. ::)

Okay...
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on July 23, 2013, 07:56:50 AM

and
or

Ach, zat remindz me o' vone o' me Writin' promptz: Vot vid ye dae if ye could fly?

Me rezponze: Ah vid fly around ze vorld gazerin' piecez for a machine zat vid make a pill. After findin' av o' ze piecez an' buildin' it it vid make ze pill, vhich ah vid eat. After eatin' it it vid make me ztop flyin'. Ze End.

An' ah pazzed viz zat!!!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

The Shade

They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I