News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Sports you play

Started by Mariel, July 20, 2013, 05:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Vone o' me teacherz uzed tae make uz run three lapz around ze track before lettin'uz play durin' Recezz. By ze time ye 'ad finizhed, Recezz vaz almozt over. Ach, zat vaz zae annoyin'!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Dannflower Reguba

You know, this topic is about PLAYING sports, not hating on them, so if you guys have rude comments, please keep them to yourselves.  >:( And aside from that, keep Nationality out of it!
Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on July 25, 2013, 11:14:14 PM
Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on July 25, 2013, 10:25:45 PM
There's apparently a new system planned for schools in New Zealand to force every child to take part in an out-of-school sport to combat the supposed "obesity epidemic".  ::)

Vhich zeemz tae appear more in America zen in anyvhere elze.

Gee, thanks for calling us fat.  >:(

As far as Sports go, I Competitively play Basketball and run Cross-Country, aside, I play Req (spelling?) Soccer (just finished my 13th season of the game) I enjoy just about any Sport, but I'm not a big fan of Baseball or Football (Rugby if you're not American, don't ask me how it got the name). REALLY want to try Lacrosse!

As for the Sport vs. Machine debate, you need both. Exercise machines can help get you fit, but you need a team sport for interaction, learning how to work with people that you can't stand, and figure based ideas. The machines can give you a base, but the sport gives you the tone. 
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Rainshadow

Well, I don't know if hiking is considered a sport, but I enjoy hiking.  I went up a mountain (well, sort of.  I walked up a path that was already almost at the top, and it wasn't a mountain that was covered in snow or anything.  It was more like a giant hill with small patches of snow.  :P) last Sunday, and I made a new friend, AKA a chipmunk who was looking for food at the frozen lake.  He was literally climbing into people's laps, hoping to get some food!
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Rainshadow on July 26, 2013, 06:05:11 PM
  Well, I don't know if hiking is considered a sport, but I enjoy hiking.  I went up a mountain (well, sort of.  I walked up a path that was already almost at the top, and it wasn't a mountain that was covered in snow or anything.  It was more like a giant hill with small patches of snow.  :P) last Sunday, and I made a new friend, AKA a chipmunk who was looking for food at the frozen lake.  He was literally climbing into people's laps, hoping to get some food!
I think it would be considered a sport. i enjoy it also. We don't have many mountains here in Florida but I do enjoy walking in different trails.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Maudie

I like hiking when I have my dogs with me, cause they pull me up the trail. ;D
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Mask on July 26, 2013, 06:21:34 PM
I like hiking when I have my dogs with me, cause they pull me up the trail. ;D
We have a dog but she is rather slow (cus she's old.)

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Maudie

Mine are puppies, so they're pretty strong! They can pull all 107 pounds of me up a very steep trail.

Anyway, back on topic. I like basketball! ;D
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

MeadowR

Quote from: Mask on July 26, 2013, 04:33:58 PM
@MeadowRabbit: I would rather play sports than exercise on a stupid exercise machine. I hate jogging, running stairs, or anything that has no fun or game plan in it. I don't like things that seem like they are designed to make me healthy. I'd prefer something that is fun and makes me sweat. That's why I like tag nd basketball and frisbee and riding bikes. I didn't mean any offense by that. People who don't like sports would probably prefer exercise machines. But I don't. ;)

That's fair enough! That's why I said there should be a choice. So those who want to play the team sports still actually can! :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Maudie

Quote from: MeadowRabbit on July 26, 2013, 06:48:13 PM
Quote from: Mask on July 26, 2013, 04:33:58 PM
@MeadowRabbit: I would rather play sports than exercise on a stupid exercise machine. I hate jogging, running stairs, or anything that has no fun or game plan in it. I don't like things that seem like they are designed to make me healthy. I'd prefer something that is fun and makes me sweat. That's why I like tag nd basketball and frisbee and riding bikes. I didn't mean any offense by that. People who don't like sports would probably prefer exercise machines. But I don't. ;)

That's fair enough! That's why I said there should be a choice. So those who want to play the team sports still actually can! :)

Ok, I'm glad you're taking that post well, I was worried that I was a bit extreme in there. :o

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Rainshadow on July 26, 2013, 06:05:11 PM

Hiking is a Recreation, not Sport.  ;)

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Mariel

I WANT TO DO FENCING SO BADLY,but we don't have really any where I live and they cost to much for our family to afford :'( :'( :'( I make do though. :) :( I have done some self-defence classes I "fought"fiercer than anyone else (we were doing it in the case that someone was trying to do something bad)and I was called a fighter by several people ;D. I loved doing it, but I sometimes I got in a almost period of delirium(as much as possible without being in a true crisis) and, oh, I bit the instructors hand ::) :D :D It was a bit embarrassing. ::) 

Buzz_Bumble

There's apparently a new system planned for schools in New Zealand to force every child to take part in an out-of-school sport to combat the supposed "obesity epidemic".  ::)

The "obesity epidemic" is mostly just a myth, and it has almost nothing to do with "not enough exercise" or "how many kilojoules are in our food" ... it's really about most people simply eating too much and being too lazy to make proper dinners when McDonalds is quicker (and more expensive and less tasty). Coca Cola has just started a silly new advertising campaign here in New Zealand trying to prove how "socially responsible" they are at fighting this supposed epidemic - it's already annoying and likely to be entered in the annual Worst Ad Awards.  ::)

Personally, I don't like pointless exercise in any "organised" form. I get enough "exercise" doing normal everyday things like walking around the shops, washing the car, getting printouts from the printer, etc.

A lot of the so-called "health and fitness" stuff is simply nonsense put into the public attention by those making money out of it. For example, for years there have been claims that people should take supplements like fish oil. Now there are claims that using such stuff doesn't help and may even be causing other problems (especially when over-used) like raising the risk of getting some forms of cancer.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on July 26, 2013, 11:25:34 PM

The "obesity epidemic" is mostly just a myth, and it has almost nothing to do with "not enough exercise" or "how many kilojoules are in our food" ... it's really about most people simply eating too much and being too lazy to make proper dinners when McDonalds is quicker (and more expensive and less tasty). Coca Cola has just started a silly new advertising campaign here in New Zealand trying to prove how "socially responsible" they are at fighting this supposed epidemic - it's already annoying and likely to be entered in the annual Worst Ad Awards.  ::)

Personally, I don't like pointless exercise in any "organised" form. I get enough "exercise" doing normal everyday things like walking around the shops, washing the car, getting printouts from the printer, etc.

A lot of the so-called "health and fitness" stuff is simply nonsense put into the public attention by those making money out of it. For example, for years there have been claims that people should take supplements like fish oil. Now there are claims that using such stuff doesn't help and may even be causing other problems (especially when over-used) like raising the risk of getting some forms of cancer.

That has literally nothing to do with you playing Sports, if you're going to hate, do it somewhere else!

Russano the Wise

Each school year I do a P.E. class at my local college with a bunch of other homeschoolers. We do it twice a week for an hour and a half each time. It is usually one of my favorite things to do each week. We play sports and sometimes do the exercise machines although I don't like that as much as the sports. I find I don't get tired as quickly if I'm focusing on a game and not focusing on just running on a treadmill.
     Some of the sports I really enjoy playing at P.E. are Basketball and Ultimate Frisbee. And I'm not to bad at them even though I'm usually playing with several boys that are twice my size and several years older than me. 
"But if you really love your friends, they're never really gone. Somewhere they're watching over you and they're always there inside your heart." -Martin the Warrior

Rusvul

I sometimes enjoy playing sports, but only on my terms. When I want to, with who I want to, for as long/short as I want to, with no coach yelling at me to get myself hurt. What I really really don't like is practicing for sports. I hate pointlessly running in circles, or tripping over ropes and cones. And stretching. Ugh. I was forced to do a P.E. soccer class every other week last school year. Pretty much everybody else was fine, although nobody really liked it. Our coach, I suppose he would say, "Made the most of our time", aka, worked us for forty five minutes straight with no breaks and no water. I'm surprised that I managed to stay on my feet, I literally almost collapsed several times. I'm not exaggerating at all with that. Either I'm pretty darn unfit, or that P.E. class was really awful, or both. Honestly, I think it did me more harm than good. It gave me a 'worst case scenario' P.E. class, and as it was the first one I've been in since second grade, (As a homeschooler, I've done things like fencing and Tai Kwan Doe instead of P.E.) it's kinda the only one I remember. It kinda makes me think P.E. = Bad, although I know that's not always the case.