News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

What do you think about zoos?

Started by Izeroth, December 24, 2014, 01:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are zoos good?

Yes
7 (30.4%)
No
1 (4.3%)
Sometimes
15 (65.2%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Izeroth

What do you think about zoos? Are they good? Are they bad? Are they both good and bad?

Supporters of zoos would say that they save species from extinction and help fund money for conservation, but those opposed to zoos would say that they're cruel to animals.

The Mask

There okay I guess. But it really depends. In developing countries they can be terrible concrete things but some are actually luxurious enclosures. So it's good and bad I suppose
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Izeroth

I think they can be good and bad as well. They can be really bad, with awful sanitation and lack of space for the creatures... But at the same time they can be really good. Most of the zoos in the United States are pretty good, I think (though there are a few bad ones). If done right, zoos can be very important (as in the case of the zoo near where I live, which houses multiple critically endangered species). If it weren't for zoos, many species of birds and mammals would likely have gone extinct by now.

The Mask

They can actually be dangerous :o This guy got eaten and mauled by a white tiger in an Indian zoo a little while back. But it was his own fault, we ignored the signs and jumped all the barriers.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

Søren

I think wether or not a zoo is good depends on the zoo and culture. I think most Western cultured zoos take pretty good care of animals. However, in countries like India and if they exist there, the Middle East probably don't have good treatment of animals.

I'm retired from the forum

Delthion

Quote from: The Mask on December 24, 2014, 02:10:10 AM
They can actually be dangerous :o This guy got eaten and mauled by a white tiger in an Indian zoo a little while back. But it was his own fault, we ignored the signs and jumped all the barriers.

So you did it to?
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Søren

Quote from: Delthion on December 24, 2014, 04:46:48 AM
Quote from: The Mask on December 24, 2014, 02:10:10 AM

So you did it to?
*Click on overhead lamp in dark room with The Mask strapped to a chair*
Did you?

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Søren

Delthion

Søren

Ok...I typed Danflor then changed it to the Mask. :P
Anyway, back on topic:
The zoo we have here is nice. They had these two little leopards that they nursed to health. They do a lot, mostly for the clouded leopards.  Now, I recently saw a documentary called Blackfish. It's about the Orca whales that are in captivity in like SeaWorld and stuff. It's deep, moving and intense. If zoo animals are treated like that, then zoos should be investigated and punished.

Delthion

That Blackfish thing was mere propaganda. It wasn't even that bad! (As I remember it.)

The Mask

Quote from: Soren the Warrior on December 24, 2014, 02:26:03 AM
I think wether or not a zoo is good depends on the zoo and culture. I think most Western cultured zoos take pretty good care of animals. However, in countries like India and if they exist there, the Middle East probably don't have good treatment of animals.
India's zoos in general are pretty terrible. When I mentioned concrete things, I had an Indian zoo in mind. But I've also been to a really cool zoo in China. It was like three kilometers squared and all the enclosures were great.

Izeroth

I believe some people got killed by a tiger at the San Diego zoo, but if I remember correctly, they had been taunting the tiger and throwing stuff at it.

Lady Amber