News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Video Games

Started by Gonff the Mousethief, February 24, 2016, 04:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolman

@Kade Rivok eh your laptop is decent but how much are you paying for it?
For those we cherish we die in glory.

Kade Rivok

It was on sale for 1,099 US

I don't think that's too bad, honestly.  I've been thinking about building a computer (and I still plan to), but for a rig with more or less the same stuff in it (I don't know what type of 2060 is in the laptop, or the motherboard, or anything like that), the prices I was seeing were coming out to more than that all put together.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Kolman

the 2060 is the laptop equivalent to the GTX 1070 Titan which is for the gaming desktops your card has more shaders but features a lower clock speed to help it stay cool because it is in the laptop and doesn't get the efficient cooling that desktops get the I7 as long as it is a 8th gen or higher will be sufficient for you to play just about any game you want. an nabbing it for $1100 is actually on par with the cost parts so not a bad buy at all.

Kade Rivok

The i7 is actually 9th gen, but I doubt I'll be pushing it to it's limits anyways.  The only kind of workout it's going to be getting from me is games, and having 30 tabs open at once -_-

As for the GPU, since I'm a newbie I'm not really too focused on overclocking right now, so it's good enough for me  ;D
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Verdauga

*Eyes begin to glaze over from reading all this computer-y stuff.*
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Kolman

overclocking is now more of just a bragging rights factor than actually being useful anymore

Dannflower Reguba

@Kade Rivok There's a discord for the forum period. I can send you an invite tomorrow when our internet isn't about to die. Out of curiosity, what do you plan on playing? I7 and 2060 should be fine for most things, but that processing's going to bog on some higher-demand stuff (also, how many cores?).
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Kade Rivok

As far as gaming goes, I think an i7 should be fine, right?  An i9 would kinda be overkill (strictly for gaming, I mean)  :laugh:

It's an 8700 so it only has six cores.  I would have preferred it being an 8 cored 9700, but it'll still do the job.  And I definitely would have preferred something stronger than the 2060, but it's a decent mid-range choice.  (I don't need everything running at ultra anyways, this is my first real step into PC gaming after all).  As for what I'm going to play... dunno!  I need to build my PC games library after all but, from past experience, I tend towards co-op most of all.  I'm not really into heavy PVP.

Oh, and my discord username is Kadeworks
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Dannflower Reguba

If you're not doing anything too big or intensive, you're probably fine with what you've named. I'm using I7 as well (might even be the same one), and I can play Destiny 2, Dark Souls 3, and For Honor without any issues.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Rusvul

An i7 should be just fine. I have a fairly old i7 (6 cores, 3.5ghz) and I have yet to come across a game it can't handle. In almost all cases, the bottleneck will be your GPU (for most things) or your RAM (for Minecraft and a handful of other poorly-optimized games). That said, upgrading your GPU is very easy, whereas upgrading your CPU is a whole ordeal. If you're building a PC, I'd recommend buying a more-than-sufficient GPU that will last a good few years, and then putting a little less money into your graphics card under the assumption you'll have to replace it in a few years.

Tungro

After being pretty inactive, Battlefront 2 released some major updates along with plenty in the queue for later December and January

The Shadow of Korriban

Hey, do any of you guys play Galaxy of Heroes?
The best way to forget your own problems is to beat a rock with a stick.<br /><br />My YouTube channel!

The Shadow of Korriban

Scratch that:  Do any of you guys play Lord of the Rings Online?
The best way to forget your own problems is to beat a rock with a stick.<br /><br />My YouTube channel!

Kade Rivok

Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Tungro

Quote from: Sheev Palpatine on December 16, 2019, 10:32:01 PM
Hey, do any of you guys play Galaxy of Heroes?
My brother does, but I don't

Quote from: Sheev Palpatine on February 08, 2020, 11:39:21 PM
Scratch that:  Do any of you guys play Lord of the Rings Online?
I seen/heard a little bit about it, doesn't really sound like my kind of game