News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Commentary on the Book Martin the Warrior

Started by Wylder Treejumper, September 17, 2016, 07:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanddunes

Quote from: redtooth on May 26, 2018, 03:41:51 PM
Today I finished MTW for the first time. It was a nice book. The situation with Rose at the end was sad and undexpected for me. I thought Clogg was very funny. Also you should lookup what 'clogg' means. It has multiple meanings which all are linked with his behaviour :).

Anyway, one thing I dont get in this book. Its the map. Why are the hills in the south called "the northhills" and the cliffs in the north "the southcliffs"? This confused me during reading and also frustrated me a bit. Maybe someone has an explaining, or is it a mistake?

Kind Greetings,

Redtooth, first captain.

The thing is I read Mossflower before Martin the Warrior so I knew something was going to happen

clunylooney

Quote from: Ashleg on January 09, 2017, 08:44:16 PM
Quote from: alexandre on October 04, 2016, 02:17:19 PM
But Clogg was FUNNY. In Redwall, the comic relief is often the secondary villain, how was he annoying?

How he was not annoying is past me, as the things I deem annoying were probably the ones you said were funny.
Aww too bad. I loved Clogg.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Rosie Willowwater

Welcome to the second book in our series readalong event: Martin the Warrior!

Seeing as this is one of my favorites, I can't wait to start discussing!

As usual, here are a couple things to note before you start discussing:

• Please keep your posts here and in the entirety of the General Discussion board on-topic and constructive. When discussing topics like favorites, it always helps to give reasoning as to why you chose your favorite character, scene, etc. When in doubt, add more! It is always fun to see what other people think and respectfully debate with them.
  • If you would like to participate but don't own the book, there are a few resources that may be of use to you. Libby, Audible, and (of course) your local library, are all good ways to rent books/audiobooks for free (Audible is free only for the first 30-day trial). There is no harm in permanently expanding your Redwall collection though if you can afford it!
  • If you want even more Redwall discussion, please check out the Recorder on the Wall podcast episodes for the book! Every three weeks I will be posting the relevant episodes, so please check them out. Here are the episodes for Parts 1, 2, and 3 of Martin the Warrior!
  • Additionally, this book was also adapted into a TV show! Season 3 of the Redwall TV Series covers the adventures of Martin and Rose and can be found on Amazon and iTunes.

Finally, here are a few guiding questions for discussion if you are unsure what to talk about:

• Who is your favorite character, and why do you regard them as your favorite?
  • Who was your least favorite character, and why did they bother you?
  • What was your favorite scene? What stuck out to you about it?
  • What are your thoughts on the book as a whole? Where does it rank against other Redwall books and why?
  • Do you have any theories or small details others may not have picked up on when reading?
  • And anything else you want to mention!

Have fun, and happy discussing!

Captain Tammo

Alright, with that many places to get the book, I have no excuses ;D

This book is flat out awesome. The ending tugs on your heartstrings and I remember it was the very first time I was reading a book and almost cried. At the time I thought it was just because the story was sad, which it can be for some, but much much later I saw it as a sign that BJ had made a set of characters so well-written that when things happened to them I felt it too. Redwall was the series that made me a reader, and this was one of the books that made me suddenly realize that writing can evoke emotion.

May I say that I think the rivalry between Tramun Clogg and Badrang the Tyrant is one of the best in the whole series, save for maybe Pitru and Riggu Felis (in my humble opinion, though that separate book holds a special place in my heart anyway). I've always loved the kind of villains who very clearly are scheming against one another but still put up with each other and talk like -- what's the word... professionals? Clogg's arc as a whole is particularly well-written and clever, I think.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Tiny Jackalope

So... I tried to read the book but got busy after reading the first third of it. I still want to share my (very few) thoughts on what I DID read though.  ;) I am unsure if I've ever read this one before but I definitely watched the animated TV season for it so I DO know what happens... for the most part because I have forgotten some things. The dialogue is quite unique for each character and I kept reading it all in my messed up memory of what the show sounds like. Brome and Felldoh are definitely my favorite characters and are cool in their own special ways. I am saddest that I didn't get around to finishing the book because I really was looking forward to reading the part where the Rosehip Players perform at Marshank... I'll probably finish reading the book at some point next year.  :)

OH and I really like the scenes where those still in Marshank are preparing for when Martin returns (minus the spy but whatever the rest of the people... er animals... are cool XD).
*SMACKFACE*
a mere rebel... as mere as this dot -> .

Wylder Treejumper

So, I'm catching up in the Redwall Readalong, and I just finished Martin the Warrior this morning. It's always been one of my favorite books because it is so unique. As a prequel, it has an interesting flavor which isn't found in most of other Redwall books- namely, that there is no happy ending. Yes, Badrang is defeated in the grand finale, but Martin himself has lost everything that was dearest to him. It is a tale of sacrifice- What Martin gave up in order to free his friends and honor his code, and what would eventually lead to the founding of the Abbey (where Rose finally completed her promise, and helped him become as peaceable a mouse as any in Noonvale). The character of Felldoh is another facet of this tale of sacrifice. Felldoh sacrificed the way of peace for the way of the warrior in order to protect others- he told Brome that he wished he could be innocent again, but that so long as Marshank remained to enslave others he would plunge himself into violence and hate to protect others, so that they would be able to remain innocent and free. And, finally, he gave his life for it. It reminds me a little bit of Frodo after the Scouring of the Shire- "I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: someone has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them."

Also Cap'n Clogg is the absolute bestest and no one will ever convince me otherwise!
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

MathLuk

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on November 03, 2020, 09:00:09 PM
So, I'm catching up in the Redwall Readalong, and I just finished Martin the Warrior this morning. It's always been one of my favorite books because it is so unique. As a prequel, it has an interesting flavor which isn't found in most of other Redwall books- namely, that there is no happy ending. Yes, Badrang is defeated in the grand finale, but Martin himself has lost everything that was dearest to him. It is a tale of sacrifice- What Martin gave up in order to free his friends and honor his code, and what would eventually lead to the founding of the Abbey (where Rose finally completed her promise, and helped him become as peaceable a mouse as any in Noonvale). The character of Felldoh is another facet of this tale of sacrifice. Felldoh sacrificed the way of peace for the way of the warrior in order to protect others- he told Brome that he wished he could be innocent again, but that so long as Marshank remained to enslave others he would plunge himself into violence and hate to protect others, so that they would be able to remain innocent and free. And, finally, he gave his life for it. It reminds me a little bit of Frodo after the Scouring of the Shire- "I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: someone has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them."

Also Cap'n Clogg is the absolute bestest and no one will ever convince me otherwise!

I would have to say otherwise. Felldoh wasn't another facet, he was Martin's foil. While Martin was able to walk away from vengeance, Felldoh basked in it, leading to his death. He could have killed Badrang, but he chose the attainment of revenge rather than the dispensation of justice. In the end, Felldoh's goal wasn't 'be a warrior and free all the slaves' - that is Martin's. Felldoh's was 'be a warrior and make Badrang pay for what he had done to him and the ones he love', which is significantly less noble.

You were right about Clogg though.
By what strange trick of fate do our paths cross anew?

Link to the Redwall Readership Restorers: https://discord.gg/frYkSzE