They Thought Redwall was Safe! (Is Redwall as Safe as they Say it is? Part 3!)

Started by Ashleg, February 24, 2017, 11:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

The sun hung giant in the sky when Maxy at last spotted what they needed. A shrew and a hedgehog were rowing downstream in a humble wooden craft, and his ears perked and his nose twitched even though there was quite too little room for all of them at once.
The squirrel elbowed Fastooth and then raised his paws, calling out, "Hello! I am a Redwaller, can you be of some help?!"

The Skarzs

Both the shrew and the hedgehog looked around for a bit before spotting Maxy and the rest. "Aye, we c'n 'elp," called the hedgehog. "Come closer, we'll bank."
  The two maneauvered their raft to the river bank, hauling it up with the tow rope until it was well grounded.
  As Afagon approached, he took a look at the poor state of the raft, and wondered how long the two had been ferrybeasts. "Good morning," he said with a smile. "We're looking to get across."
  "Aye, what else would ye be wantin' us for?" cackled the hedgehog.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

"Directions to Redwall, maybe?" Maxy asked, doing his best to seem happy. "My friend and I bumped into these two," here he gestured to Afagon and Oriff, "Last night. Turns out, we all need to go to Redwall! How funny..."

The Skarzs

The shrew folded his arms. "You'll have to cross here, whichever way you take. What d'ye have to trade?"
  Afagon had feared the ferry beasts wouldn't just take them across just because Maxy was from Redwall. "What do you want?"
  "Oh, this an' that, we ain't picky," said the hedgehog. He looked at Afagon's mantle over his shoulders. "That there fine garment would do nicely."
  Afagon looked at his mantle. "Sir, it's cold out, I-"
  "Aye, 'tis cold," interrupted the other. "Don't look like my old paws'd be able t' row ye across if'n I'm cold."
  Oriff looked at Afagon. "Looks like he isn't gonna budge."
  The otter pursed his lips in displeasure, but took off his piece of clothing and tossed it to the hedgehog, who rubbed it against his face.
  "Now. . . What about the rest o' ye?"
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LT Sandpaw

"Now 'ang on there spike hog!" Fastooth stepped onto the raft spreading his paws akimbo, making sure the three ferrybeasts could see his grizzled features. "Th' otter be th' only one o' us who don't be need yer damn raft to ferry  'Im across. An' th' Squirrel's a Redwaller, so if'n ye ever went there for sickness or somethin', which I'd stake ye have, ye ought to take 'Im for free. So th' garment c'n pay fer me n' th' mouse's crossin'. Which is a good deal ye hear?"

The big rat bared his fangs, hoping to encourage the hedgehog to see things his way.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Ashleg

Maxy grinned at Fastooth.
"That's right," he said, looking down his nose at the shrew. "And what about great Redwall feasts? I'm sure you'd love to partake in one of those, but I fear if you demand any more payment from me or my friends it won't happen."

The Skarzs

The hedgehog and the shrew looked at each other, then burst out laughing. Oriff shook his weapon at them.
  "What the game, huh?"
  "Oh ho ho, yer alright, boys!" cackled the hedgehog. "Alright, we'll take ye across, but I'll be talkin' the otter an' mouse first."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Maxy glowered.
"What a load of nonsense, taking the otter first." he remarked to Fastooth.

The Skarzs

"'E did pay," grunted the shrew as they punted off.
  Afagon shrugged apologetically, knowing they would all get across in the end. He and Oriff waited on the other side after they were let off, and the ferry went back.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LT Sandpaw

Stepping suspiciously onto the rickety little raft Fastooth stayed right in the middle, not straying a paws breadth to either side. Chuckling he dropped down to one knee eyeing the water in trepidation. "Its not too deep now is it? No beasts gonna drown 'ere right? Not that I'm afeared or nothin'! I'm jus' curious. Hehe."

The Skarzs

"Oh, it ain't deep," said the hedgehog. "But this 'ere water's called 'lightwater'. So if you try t' swim in it, you'll sink straight t'the bottom!"
  "And don't think heavy thoughts," added the shrew. "We're almost across and we don't wanna sink now."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Maxy swung his legs over the side of the raft, a sudden scowl coming across his otherwise pleasant face.
"Stop messing with him!" he snapped at them. "Fastooth has done nothing to you."

LT Sandpaw

Unsure whether to trust Maxy's sentiment or the hedgehog's words Fastooth sank his claws a little deeper into the wood, trying not to think of the gloomy waters that swirled beneath. "Heh, if'n this little bit o' floatin' tree bark c'n ship tha' big otter across fine I'm sure it c'n hold little old me up."

A small wave rocked the raft slightly. Reaching out Fastooth grabbed ahold of Maxy's bushy tail, grinning sheepishly at his young friend. "Ah ha, ye looked like ye were about to tip o'er th' side there matey. Don' worry I got'cha."

Ashleg

"You sure it was me?" Maxy laughed, playfully sticking his tongue out at the rat. Boy, he thought, Fangfang cannot swim either but he would probably make fun of him.
He wondered what had happened in the past to scare his friend so badly.

The Skarzs

The raft reached the other side, and the two were let off.
  The hedgehog waved his paw. "Alright, youngsters, just 'ead thataway, an' ye should 'it the abbey."
  "Or you get t' th' path, then you'll know where t' go from there," continued the shrew. Then they punted off. But the hedgehog couldn't help but cackle out one more comment.
  "Don't get lost in the fog! There's monsters when the mist 's out!"
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.