They Thought Redwall was Safe! (Is Redwall as Safe as they Say it is? Part 3!)

Started by Ashleg, February 24, 2017, 11:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LT Sandpaw

Having returned to solid ground Fastooth soon forgot his fear of the water, muttering to his three companions behind the shrew's back. "Monsters tach right. Show a little dislike o' dangerous stuff like deep water an' they act like yer a newborn ratling. Th' nerve o' that shrew. I've been stompin' about these woodlands fer thirteen seasons, th' bloody things are more borin' and monster free than a mole's attic."

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Ashleg

"Monsters, huh, maybe he means tree rats." Maxy murmured, waving to Oriff and Afagon to come along. He could barely make out Redwall's tall rooftop from over the trees, but there it was, and the squirrel felt a twinge of nervousness deep in his stomach when he thought about his dream.

OOC-
Timeskip to their arrival?

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Maxy spotted Redwall through the trees and cast one glance behind him at his group before racing off and up to the Abbey's back door, fumbling in his pocket for the key until he opened it and let them in.
"I'm sure the Abbot will understand," he said to the three, placing his dagger on one of the small round tables in the small kitchen. "Fastooth, Rayne can help your wounds better and I really need to talk to Bracklew and Ra--"

"Maxy!"

The squirrel whirled around and backed up a little to avoid Duncan, his adoptive father, as the gruff hare bounded up to hug him.
"Bracklew! Grant! Maxy's back!"

Maxy pulled away slightly, chuckling under his breath. "Y-Yeah...um..."

"And who are these?" Duncan asked, glancing at the newcomers. His eyes lingered on Fastooth.

LT Sandpaw

Hearing Duncan's excited voice Bracklew jumped up from his bed, and not even bothering to strap on his sword, darted down the stairs. The squirrel warrior joined the assemblage just as Duncan was asking who the newcomers were. Ignoring them for now Bracklew focused in on his little brother, the relief evident in his voice.

"Maxy, you're safe. I heard about what happened. I'm so sorry, know you two were close. But you really had us worried. Are you alright?"

Fastooth for his part looked a little sick, and he made himself as small as possible behind Afagon, letting the otter's bulk shield him from the Redwaller's suspicious gaze. Thirteen seasons had passed, and he had changed with them. Hopefully the Redwallers would see nothing more than a scruffy aging rat that'd hitched a ride for the easy life with Maxy. And not a vanquished, hiding conqueror returning to the site of his greatest defeat.

The Skarzs

"I'm. . . Afagon," said the otter hesitantly as he noticed the compassion in Bracklew's voice. "I think we came at an unfortunate time."
  "Eh, good a time as any," said Oriff, blissfully ignorant of what Afagon had observed. "I'm Oriff, grand adventurer and handsome bachelor!"
  "Shut up, Oriff."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

"And this is my friend, Fastooth," Maxy said, shooting Oriff a fiery glare. "I'm fine."

We were nearly murdered and I swear I had a vision, I swear I did...

He ran forward and grabbed his brother's paws. "But I need to talk to you!"

"Maxy," started Duncan.
Abbot Grant appeared at the doorway, looking worn out and satisfied at the same time.

"Dad, please," Maxy pressed. "I need to talk to Bracklew alone...as soon as possible. Can you take my friends to Cavern Hole or something? I..."

He sent Fastooth a look that read I'll be back for you.

"It's urgent."

LT Sandpaw

"Alone... I suppose...?" Bracklew cast Grant and Duncan questioning look. Sighing he Maxy's paw a slight squeeze, grateful his brother was still alive. He could only think of a single reason the young squirrel would want to talk to him alone out of all the Redwallers present. It was a difficult topic to discuss, and Bracklew wasn't sure he could comfort Maxy over Stumbly's death any better than Rayne had.
"If your father is okay with that, we can go talk."

"Oo' that's th' place ye want to go." Fastooth informed Oriff, prodding the mouse in the back with his claw. "That's where they serve all their food an' trust me cully, a tooth don' forget that grub fast."

Ashleg

"I...suppose," Duncan echoed, turning as Maxy led Bracklew out of the room and down the hall.
He narrowed his eyes at Fastooth.
"And how, pray, do you know that? Did my Maxy bring food with him?"

--

Maxy placed a paw over his beating heart to try and calm himself.
"Well, um...there's one more beast I want to talk to."

The Skarzs

Afagon had turned his attention to the structure he was standing in. He had been rushed in by Maxy, and didn't have a chance to really look until now. "Wow," he whispered.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LT Sandpaw

Stepping out of the kitchen and into the Great Hall Bracklew and Maxy found a secluded spot to talk underneath the tapestry of Martin. For a moment the squirrel warrior stood awkwardly quiet waiting for some inspiration to be bestowed upon him. When none came he decided to just let Maxy talk, seeing how the younger squirrel had been the one to request the private conversation.
"Please, just say whatever it is on your mind." Bracklew said, trying to sound reassuring. "I know what happened to you is hard, I understand how it feels. But your not alone, I'm here for you no matter what."

~*~

"Me, oh I came 'ere once, errm fer a day when I broke me tail." Fastooth garbled, then trying to change the subject. "Yer a bit more hareish fer bein' Maxy's da. I gotta say I expected a bushier tail, eh ha. So 'ow did that 'appen?"

OOC:

Sorry Skarzs I know your not getting much to work with. I'm trying to think of ways to incorporate your characters into the story. The current situation isn't really great due to me and Ashes' characters already having large back stories and history and a projected-ish future at this particular junction. Do either of y'all have any ideas of how we can get some fun action with Afagon and Oriff. Maybe with Fastooth and Duncan down in Cavern Hole, to help flesh Afagon and Oriff out a little more, so they can have more of a stake in the overall story. Super run-on sentence At the moment they're just there as little more than observers.

Ashleg

"I see you like the building?"
A voice sounded from Afagon's side.
"I'm Abbot Grant, it's nice to meet you...although not at the best time, I do hope you can find our Abbey a pleasing place to stay for however long it is." The old mouse smiled and held out his thin, gnarled paw to the newcomer, and he wobbled a moment on his footpaws.

Duncan, on the other paw, was not noticing Grant. He tipped his head skeptically at the rat. "Mhm," he said, eyes slitted. "I found him in the forest. Maxy's adopted."

--

"N-no, it's not about that!" Maxy stammered. "I need to talk to you, and..." Here, he went quiet. What if his dream was merely that--a dream? How silly he would sound, and how humiliating it would be to get into such a tiff over it.
And yet the squirrel felt like it was much more than that, and lowered his voice to a whisper.
"Brack, I need to talk to alone with somebeast else. Ra..." he exhaled. "Rappy has to be there, too."

The Skarzs

"A pleasure to meet you, Father Abbot," said Afagon, shaking Grant's aged paw. "This place is quite incredible."
  He paused a moment. "I hope you don't mind, I was planning on staying her permanently."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

"Hm, I...suppose." Grant said, laughing sheepishly. "Would you and your friend like to go down to Cavern Hole and get to know everybeast before you move in?"

The Skarzs

Afagon coughed awkwardly. ". . . Yes, of course."
  "Oh, good!" said Oriff, rubbing his paws together. "Food, and a chance to mingle!"
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.