Hares

Started by belle, March 07, 2018, 01:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanddunes

they have the same problem with most creatures in this series you met one you met them all.

MeadowR

Haha! Thankfully I think just about the majority of the characters are interesting enough in their own right, so as not to get completely bored of any sameyness.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ashleg

Depends what you think is interesting!

Steelinghades

Quote from: Sanddunes on March 11, 2018, 05:28:39 AM
they have the same problem with most creatures in this series you met one you met them all.

Oh, absolutely, that is one of the biggest problems with redwall as a series--note I'm pointing out its flaws because I like it so much--is its somewhat poor characters. A lot of the time, most of the characters of similar species can be transplanted with others from different books with little change. Non-main villain vermin are the worst at this, though pretty much every species shows this.

Ashleg

I think that, although they might do it the most, it is fine for less important vermin to be similar like that, because they're just meant to be background soldiers or comic relief. The bigger problem is when it is Woodlanders, for most of the book surrounds them, and reading the same character under a different name if it's on screen a lot just becomes boring.

Sanddunes

Quote from: Steelinghades on March 23, 2018, 03:18:44 PM
Oh, absolutely, that is one of the biggest problems with redwall as a series--note I'm pointing out its flaws because I like it so much--is its somewhat poor characters. A lot of the time, most of the characters of similar species can be transplanted with others from different books with little change. Non-main villain vermin are the worst at this, though pretty much every species shows this.

I knew someone in high school who said they stop reading them because he thought they were all the same story

Jetthebinturong

Well... I mean he's basically right?
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Skarzs

In a way.
In that case, though, one may as well not read any book that is inspired by or similar to The Lord of the Rings. And there are a lot of them.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Steelinghades

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on April 23, 2018, 04:27:19 AM
Well... I mean he's basically right?

They all have the same basic premise and plot outline, but the actual events that take place within the books are generally different enough--although somewht similar still--that you can read and enjoy them.

Jetthebinturong

I guess they're popcorn books to me now. They're fun and enjoyable but lack weight. The characters have far too many similarities and the villains may as well be clones of each other. I suppose that's why I prefer the earlier books in the series, since they didn't have the opportunity to fall into that established formula.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Sanddunes

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on April 29, 2018, 11:06:51 PM
I guess they're popcorn books to me now. They're fun and enjoyable but lack weight. The characters have far too many similarities and the villains may as well be clones of each other. I suppose that's why I prefer the earlier books in the series, since they didn't have the opportunity to fall into that established formula.

That's one the problems I had with Redwall is that each book had the same hero and villain they had a different name and different creatures at times

Sebias of Redwall

Back to topic. ;) I really liked most of the hares. (though Scarum was really annoying)
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Tungro

I pretty much liked all of them except Scarum and Fleetscut(?)

Sebias of Redwall

"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Tungro

He was snobby and disrespectful to Jukka and most anybody that didn't think as he did