Ashleg?

Started by Sebias of Redwall, May 04, 2019, 06:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebias of Redwall

Is Ashleg a grey character? Because at the end of Mossflower he left to search for a peace life, and he didn't really do anything *bad* that I can remember... What do you guys think?
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Cornflower MM

From what I remember, Ashleg was mostly pushed around by Tsarmina, Cludd, and Fortunata. I wouldn't say that he never did anything "bad" but I don't recall him killing anyone or scheming evil plans. I would call him a grey character, yeah. I quite enjoyed his character and I was glad that he left around the end of the middle section and survived. I've always had an image of him in my mind of building a little hut by a river or somewhere and living out the rest of his life at peace, content with not being bullied like he was.

The Skarzs

I'm not sure if I would call him a gray character so much, but he is one of the vermin I hope had a happy, peaceful ending to his life.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: The Skarzs on May 05, 2019, 05:15:34 PM
but he is one of the vermin I hope had a happy, peaceful ending to his life.
I like the evil vermin, but their were a few that I hoped would have a happy life. (An honest one though)  :P

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Grond

I am not sure if he wanted a peaceful life per say. He left Kotir because he decided, and rightfully so, that it had become a dangerous place to be in. Tsarmina had gone mad and Ashleg was largely useless to her- it is definitely not a stretch to assume that she may have used him as eagle bait or killed him in some other way. As for not doing anything "particularly bad": during the time of Verdauga Ashleg was some kind of an advisor to him; given his injury it is unlikely he was a front line soldier doing fighting. He was also missing a leg and appeared to be maimed on one side which suggests that he may at some point have been a soldier and been seriously wounded. Verdauga may have kept him as an advisor due to his experience (apart from Verdauga he as probably the oldest member of T.E.A.) and years in service etc... Yet despite the fact that Verdauga treated him fairly well, he still had knowledge of the plot to kill Verdauga and frame Gingivere and he seemed to go along with it. For what reason, given his position, I don't know...

Jack the Quick

I've always sort of thought that ashlag had gone and started some new vermin horde. I'm not sure though, cause I don't know much about him.
'I ate the sharpest tool in the shed'

"Inconceivable!" ~Vizzini, The Princess Bride

"Art is never complete, only abandoned," ~Leonardo da Vinci

Long live the RRR!!

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Jack the Quick on May 16, 2019, 06:51:07 PM
I've always sort of thought that ashlag had gone and started some new vermin horde. I'm not sure though, cause I don't know much about him.
That's an interesting theory.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

The Grey Coincidence

My own headcanon is that he took over the shack Martin and company found the dead rat in and lived out the rest of his days there, free from stress.
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: The Grey Coincidence on May 16, 2019, 07:09:38 PM
My own headcanon is that he took over the shack Martin and company found the dead rat in and lived out the rest of his days there, free from stress.
That...would actually work...

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

The Grey Coincidence

Yup. It could even mean that the rat Martin and co buried escaped from his own horde...

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: The Grey Coincidence on May 16, 2019, 07:12:54 PM
Yup. It could even mean that the rat Martin and co buried escaped from his own horde...
Err...No.  ;D

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

The Grey Coincidence

Sebias of Redwall

Because they found a rat and Ashleg was a pine-martin.  :)

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

The Grey Coincidence

Er- that makes no sense. The rat did what Ashleg did is basically what I mean...

Sebias of Redwall

Whoops! I thought you had said that the rat could've been Ashleg. Hey! It's kinda hard to see words when they are crossed out! :P

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!