News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Tammo's Fan Fiction Competition II: Can you keep a secret?

Started by Captain Tammo, June 25, 2019, 03:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

Time for a new contest!

Hey now! So what's the catch on this second go-around?

The theme: the theme of the competition is, can you keep a secret? All fanfic entries must have a secret that gets revealed in the story. It could be through dialogue, imagery, epiphany or more. If you incorporate that element into your story, then you qualify for the contest. The rest of the content is all up to you!

Length: Exactly as long as it needs to be to tell the story! But please keep it in the style of a one-shot (i.e. one entry or chapter). The entry can be an excerpt from an existing fanfic you wrote, so long as you find a way to incorporate the theme into it! You may also nominate other peoples' works that are on the forum!

Judging: Once more, it is yours truly! I'm just looking for a good yarn, but reach out via PM or comment below if you have specific questions!

Timeline: the competition begins as soon as you read this (i.e. right now!) and ends July 26th, or when it's deemed that all the forum members who'd like to participate have already submitted. Whichever comes first!

Prizes: This one will have a grand prize! Details are still being ironed out (hence the delay)

Most importantly, how to enter: to enter, just post your fanfic on the board and include [Tammo's Competition II] in the subject line. I'll come read it and let you know when I've finished!

That covers it! Get busy, and keep it a secret!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Jack the Quick

Interesting, I'll try to write up an entry for this one.
'I ate the sharpest tool in the shed'

"Inconceivable!" ~Vizzini, The Princess Bride

"Art is never complete, only abandoned," ~Leonardo da Vinci

Long live the RRR!!

MathLuk

By what strange trick of fate do our paths cross anew?

Link to the Redwall Readership Restorers: https://discord.gg/frYkSzE

Sebias of Redwall

"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

The Grey Coincidence

Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

MeadowR

I'll certainly give this some consideration seeing as I'm trying to write a bit more again. :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Time

One-Eye the wildcat

"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

Mommui

MathLuk

By what strange trick of fate do our paths cross anew?

Link to the Redwall Readership Restorers: https://discord.gg/frYkSzE

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Jack the Quick

'I ate the sharpest tool in the shed'

"Inconceivable!" ~Vizzini, The Princess Bride

"Art is never complete, only abandoned," ~Leonardo da Vinci

Long live the RRR!!

Sebias of Redwall

Oh. I thought we had to submit by the 30th... I must've read that wrong the first time. *Runs off in a panic to finish my one-shot*

(EDIT) @Captain Tammo when do you think the results will be posted?
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Captain Tammo

@Sebias of Redwall  I'm late with the results - I thought I could get away with it and post before anyone noticed, but I should know better than to try sneaking around this attentive group of Redwallers  ;D that's not a bad thing - I'm glad you guys are excited.

That said, I'll finish the last couple reviews tonight ;D

Captain Tammo

Double-posting because I HAVE THE RESULTS!

We had a couple more entries this time around and I had a lot of fun reading through all of these. Vermin were much more prominent characters in this round, and it made for a fresh take on the themes from Redwall stories that we all know and love. I also noticed that there was quite a bit about royalty / nobility in this batch of stories. It was kind of neat seeing how you all approached stories with that central tie. Each one of you has a creative flair and style of note!

I highly suggest checking out each other's works. That's what this competition is all about: practicing writing and also engaging one another in the process and reading some fun stories! Here is the list of entries - in no particular order:

Excerpt from Sixclaw by @One-Eye the wildcat

Take Your Place by @MathLuk

Flames of Truth by @MathLuk

Kingkiller Excerpt by @Jack the Quick

Black and White Drabbles II by @The Grey Coincidence

Prophecies and Warriors Excerpt by @Sebias of Redwall

I'll be going back through my notes and leaving reviews on all of your stories to talk about the things I liked - which there was a lot of! That will be happening over the next few days. But now it's time for the results! The top three finishers of the second fanfiction competition are:

Top Three

First place and winner of our medal for the second competition: Black and White Drabbles II by The Grey Coincidence!

Here's a medal for your signature, Grey! Congratulations (and a sincere thank you to our dear @Rosie Willowwater for designing this)!

Second place and third place go to Jack the Quick's Kingkiller Excerpt and Mathluk's Take Your Place, respectively. Well done you guys!
[close]