News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Tammo's Fan Fiction Competition III: Write a thriller!

Started by Captain Tammo, October 12, 2019, 02:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

Quote from: The Skarzs on November 10, 2019, 09:14:18 PM
(I didn't even know this was going on. . .)

Huh, probably should've put out an announcement now that you mention it....
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Captain Tammo

AAAAAAAAAAAAAALRIGHTY THEN! Sirs and madams, the results are in! I read three pretty solid entries for the competition. Each one of these deserve their own spotlight - check them out here:

Death Sound by @One-Eye the wildcat

an excerpt from Meteor by @MathLuk

and Black and White Drabbles by our previous winner, @The Grey Coincidence

However, there can only be one winner in these contests. I was looking for a story which could provide a tense atmosphere by presenting a grand obstacle in the form of some kind of opposing force. Whether that be a creepy epidemic that keeps reappearing, a looming castle full of thaumaturgy, or the environment and all its predators itself.

I was also looking for a kind of 'crucible:' something that prevents the protagonist from some kind of easy escape. It's what drives the plot, like the inescapable 'tap tap', the necessity of exploring the castle, or the dark tunnel in the lands of ice and snow.

Finally, the third element I was looking for was the clock: a sense of urgency that said, "if you don't get this done in ___ amount of time, there will be consequences." I saw these come in the form of the race to find the source of 'tap tap,' the urgency of timing in the battle between magic users, and the threat of the cold on a cold-blooded toad.

Anything beyond these three key elements was extra spice that made each of your stories more fun to experience. Nice work all around! And now, for the results...

and the winner is...

Death Sounds, by One-Eye! Congratulations!

and good job all around for your hard work you put into these stories.

Now what comes next? If the community wants another contest, I'd be happy to do one. I think this time I'd set up a poll to see how people feel about a few different themes for the contest. Let me know what you think! :)
[close]
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Booklover

Congratulations, to the people who took part. They're all awesome stories!
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

MathLuk

Congratulations, One-Eye!

Tammo, another contest would be indeed nice, and us voting on the topic would be a very good idea.

I would have to admit that a thriller is a very hard genre to put into writing, but I'm glad that there are no less than three well-written stories being written and submitted.

Oh, and can I have a medal for my victory in the First Competition please?

EDIT: with Tammo's mod powers: BEHOOOOLD!
By what strange trick of fate do our paths cross anew?

Link to the Redwall Readership Restorers: https://discord.gg/frYkSzE

One-Eye the wildcat

Tbh, my submission was really short, so I honestly had no idea I would win.

Spoiler
How do I get the medal into my signiture?
[close]
"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

MathLuk

By what strange trick of fate do our paths cross anew?

Link to the Redwall Readership Restorers: https://discord.gg/frYkSzE

One-Eye the wildcat

"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

Sebias of Redwall

Congratulations, One-Eye!  :) And congratulations to everyone else who submitted a story too! You all did good.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

Good work, One-Eye!

How do people feel about doing a ficathon over the summer? We could make it a competition or just for fun.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

The Grey Coincidence

Ficathon? I'm intrigued...
CONGRATULATIONS One-Eye!
(And yes, Im all for another contest- and I think the poll idea is a good one)
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

One-Eye the wildcat

Long live the RRR!!

Booklover

Quote from: shisteer of nothing much on November 25, 2019, 04:11:47 AM
Good work, One-Eye!

How do people feel about doing a ficathon over the summer? We could make it a competition or just for fun.
You mean Northern Hemisphere winter, right?

One-Eye the wildcat

Long live the RRR!!

Booklover

It is raining here. I think the Rain God must live in England or something.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: MathLuk on November 24, 2019, 09:18:22 PM
Oh, and can I have a medal for my victory in the First Competition please?

What are you talking about?! Why, you had it all along. In your heart :) (look at your post in this thread I edited it in)