News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

J.R.R. Tolkien

Started by Redwaller, July 25, 2012, 01:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwaller

Talk about the Tolkien books! I have Silmarilion and now i'm waiting to receive The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings in one package. And i might buy the rest of his books.

Redwallfan7

I want to read the Hobbit. I'm planning to get it from my library
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Rainshadow

The Hobbit is my favorite Middle Earth book.  Is the Silmarillion any good?
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Firehawke

I really like it.  I even got to take a whole class on it in college, Lord of the Rings, too!

It talks about the creation of Middle Earth, the Rings, and other things like that.  It takes place long before The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Rainshadow

If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Redwallfan7

I'm confused as to what order I should read them in.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Rainshadow

Probably The Hobbit first, then The Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers, Return of the King.  From what I've heard from friends, the Silmarillion isn't needed to understand the series, it's just something that you can read if you're very interested in the history of Middle Earth.

Redwallfan7

White One6193

Quote from: Rainshadow on July 25, 2012, 04:21:38 PM
  The Hobbit is my favorite Middle Earth book.  Is the Silmarillion any good?

*startled cough*"Is Silmarillion any GOOD?!*cough* That's like asking if Cregga's got the Bloodwrath!

Hmm... how to explain this? Take the absolute epicness of LOTR,(multiplied by a few orders of ten) add a little High Elven romance, a dash of Atlantean myth, some angelic creatures who are Olympian and/or Norse gods in all but name; and then for the piece de resistance, a battle on the scale of Helm's Deep OR BIGGER every single chapter!!!

::)Okay, maybe I over exaggerate a teeensy bit; BUT ONLY A BIT! ;D
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Rainshadow

*Cowers*  Okay, okay!  I get the point!

Redwaller

I started reading The Silmarillion. It's long to read, and sometimes you have to reread some lines. But over that it's awesome.

I've just received the package with all the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit!

Rainshadow

Nice!  I have the One Ring.  I got it because I play a game called LOTRO, and I bought an expansion pack for it.  It gave me a cloth map of Moria, a map of Middle Earth, music, a Balrog poster, art stuff from the game, the game itself, free subscription for a month, some other stuff, and the Ring!

Redwaller

Flandor

Now I don't know if it's my ADD, or just the Lord of the Ring's writing style, but I can never get through more than Fellowship and a bit of Two Towers before I'm too frustrated to slog through any more.  It's not because it's old and long, because I like classic novels as much as the next guy and routinely read Shelley, Poe, Dostoyevski, Twain, London, Stevenson, Wilde, Stoker, you name it, without trouble.  And I adore the Hobbit; it's one of my all time favorite stories.  Idk.  It's a mystery to me but I doubt I will ever in this lifetime finish the Lord of the Rings series.

Although I do know how the story goes because I've see the movies, which I find to be pretty quality and a good adaptation of the parts of LotR I have read.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

MatthiasMan