News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Homeschoolers?

Started by Gonff, July 07, 2011, 01:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do/Have you homeschooled?

I have forever!
never
I did, then school, then homeschooled
School, Homeschool,School
School, then Homeschooled from then on
Homeschooled, then school from then on

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on August 21, 2013, 06:18:23 PM
I think home-schooling made me more social, just b/c I had to work harder to make friends.
Same here. Besides the fact that I don't have any friends  :(

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Emperor Ublaz

Myst is the best puzzle game EVER!!!

You can win by losing. Jesus did.

Why are you looking
So intently at the beans
While they are sleeping?
               --haiku by me

Linux is GREAT!!!

davers84

Quote from: Tam and Martin on August 21, 2013, 06:29:26 PM
I think home-schooling made me more social, just b/c I had to work harder to make friends.
That's what I mean. You might be good with talking to people, but your friend circle is rather small because you don't have access to the platoon of people outside your home/private school. I feel like public school allows you to break out of that and establish friendship that could last a life time. I went to public school up until the 3rd grade, but I met a kid in Kindergarten who I'm still really good friends with 24 years later. But the kids I went to school with in private school, the only time I see or talk to them is through facebook IF I'm lucky.

I do like the fact that homeschooled kids are sheltered from the what the public school system brings to the tables. There's a lot of issues out there that, quite frankly, kids don't need to be privy to. So that is a HUGE plus for homeschooling and private schools. Like I said before, definitely pros and cons on both sides of the fences. And you'll make friends when you get a job :) If you are good with talking to people (which you said you are), then when you start seeing the same people day in and out, you will build relationships! Until then, you have your online friends. I know that sounds cliche to say, but sometimes people online can be more comforting than people you know in real life ;)

Emperor Ublaz

Don't we count as friends?

Why are you looking
So intently at the beans
While they are sleeping?
               --haiku by me

Linux is GREAT!!!

Rainshadow

Quote from: davers84 on August 21, 2013, 07:09:33 PM
That's what I mean. You might be good with talking to people, but your friend circle is rather small because you don't have access to the platoon of people outside your home/private school. I feel like public school allows you to break out of that and establish friendship that could last a life time. I went to public school up until the 3rd grade, but I met a kid in Kindergarten who I'm still really good friends with 24 years later. But the kids I went to school with in private school, the only time I see or talk to them is through facebook IF I'm lucky.

I do like the fact that homeschooled kids are sheltered from the what the public school system brings to the tables. There's a lot of issues out there that, quite frankly, kids don't need to be privy to. So that is a HUGE plus for homeschooling and private schools. Like I said before, definitely pros and cons on both sides of the fences. And you'll make friends when you get a job :) If you are good with talking to people (which you said you are), then when you start seeing the same people day in and out, you will build relationships! Until then, you have your online friends. I know that sounds cliche to say, but sometimes people online can be more comforting than people you know in real life ;)

I wouldn't say that ALL homeschoolers have a smaller circle of friends.  It just depends on what you do every day.  For me, I have quite a few activities that require *gasp* social interaction, (that gasp was teasing myself because I don't like going out in public ;)) such as the Bible study I go to, band and choir, church, and then recently a drama camp.
  I'd say that just because homeschoolers don't go to a public building for school doesn't mean that they don't have friends.  It just depends on what else you do.  Well, and who your neighbours are.  You can become friends with your neighbours.  ;)

(And yes, Ublaz, in my book, internet friends count as friends.  ;))
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Emperor Ublaz on August 21, 2013, 08:17:36 PM
Don't we count as friends?
That's why I love to come on the forum!

Emperor Ublaz

Why are you looking
So intently at the beans
While they are sleeping?
               --haiku by me

Linux is GREAT!!!

rachel25

I haven't got any friends either except the ones on here  :) I've tried the whole friend thing but it ends badly on my part  :-[

Dannflower Reguba

Okay! What Public Schooler stated the lie! First off, We're just as likely to have as many friends as your average school kid, we just have to, "actively seek out friendships."

Daverse84...... You have NO idea. 1. Big mistake o life-long friendships there, because we need to seek out the friendship, it's much more likely to last than the friendship with the kid who has study hall with you all semester simply because a friendship that makes you want to take the time to go somewhere out of the way to visit with your friend is most likely more important to the person.

Sheltered? Hardly, but what I was exposed to was controlled so that I didn't go into shock and make the mistake of doing the things that I was shown. My parents care very dearly about me and my siblings, so they filter the things we know that are volatile until they think we're ready to handle them. It's called controlled adjustment.

Do you honestly think you need to see someone day in and day out? My best friend is someone that I hardly ever see, and some of my really good friends I see about once a week. A good relationship is not built upon seeing them time and again, it's built on just how much you care about the other. The divorce rate in this country just goers to prove that, married couples see each other almost every single day, but still about 1 in 3/2 break the covenant because they don't care about the other as much as they thought they did.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

rachel25

This video is so right and funny  :D

PrimroseWarrior

Ive got 3 friends. the nearest is 50 miles aeway.
"Every fairytale needs a good old-fashioned villain. You need me, or you're nothing."
    ~Moriarty

"People have died."
"Thats what people DO!"

"Did u miss me?"
      ~Moriarty & Sherlock

Maudie

I've got quite a few VERY good friends from church and homeschool classes.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

davers84

Quote from: danflorreguba on August 22, 2013, 05:23:06 PM
Daverse84...... You have NO idea. 1. Big mistake o life-long friendships there, because we need to seek out the friendship, it's much more likely to last than the friendship with the kid who has study hall with you all semester simply because a friendship that makes you want to take the time to go somewhere out of the way to visit with your friend is most likely more important to the person.
I do have an idea. I VERY GOOD idea of how homeschooling works. I took classes to teach/assist homeschooled children after I graduated. A lot (not all, but a lot) of homeschooled children are very sheltered from the world. Nothing wrong with that since there are a lot of bad things out there. But what can happen is that parents get lazy and don't allow their children to interact with other people, or they just get too overly-protective. I didn't say you don't find friends. I said it's harder to find friends. Sure, the ratio of true friendships vs acquaintances is probably going to be higher in homeschooled children simply because they are going to seek out long lasting relationships. The advantage of being in public schools is that it is EASIER to friend long lasting relationships because you don't really have to search them out. People are around you all the time and it is a lot easier to build friendships that way.

QuoteSheltered? Hardly, but what I was exposed to was controlled so that I didn't go into shock and make the mistake of doing the things that I was shown. My parents care very dearly about me and my siblings, so they filter the things we know that are volatile until they think we're ready to handle them. It's called controlled adjustment.
Yes, sheltered. That's one of the points of homeschooling. What you just described is being sheltered or "controlled adjustment".  Nothing wrong with it. It just shows that your parents care to not expose you to things people just shouldn't be exposed to. And for that, I commend your parents. Many parents homeschool their children because of how corrupt the system is. It's not perfect. And neither is homeschooling/private schools.

QuoteDo you honestly think you need to see someone day in and day out? My best friend is someone that I hardly ever see, and some of my really good friends I see about once a week. A good relationship is not built upon seeing them time and again, it's built on just how much you care about the other. The divorce rate in this country just goers to prove that, married couples see each other almost every single day, but still about 1 in 3/2 break the covenant because they don't care about the other as much as they thought they did.
I never said you had to see someone every day to be friends. I said it's easier to build relationships when you don't have friends and you start seeing people every day. That daily interaction helps. I didn't say it was impossible. Not everyone is outgoing. So someone that is homeschooled all their life with little interaction to those outside their family and probably small circle of friends is going to have a hard time adjusting to strangers. They tend to be more shy and timid.

People on here are saying they are homeschooled and don't have any friends, but how often do they interact with someone outside the home? I was encouraging them and telling them that it will change when you get a job and start interacting with the outside world.

I'm not bashing homeschooling. I think it a lot of instances, it's a wise choice. ASSUMING that the parent is actually going to teach the child along with treating homeschool as "school" and not just some excuse to keep the child away from the outside world. I firmly believe that homeschooled children should go on field trips and be involved in community projects and the likes to help get them motivated and outside their "comfort zones". THAT'S why I regret my private schooling. We weren't encouraged to interact outside our school and it greatly affected my ability to build   friendships and interact with the public. If you are homeschooled and have access to a plethora of friends, count yourself lucky because you are in the minority. Not everyone is going to have that luxury.

Tam and Martin

Maudie

Seriously, all of my friends are best friend quality, though all of them are girls. I need to get some real guy friends. Not boyfriends, friends that are guys.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3