News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Lands of Ice and Snow

Started by Taggerung_of_Redwall, July 11, 2011, 11:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Indeed. They're one of the species I shrink in my mind. Would they fit in a logboat? Probably not. Would they fit on one of the ships like The Pearl Queen? Yes, but they would be confined to the top deck since they would be too tall to go below decks.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

But why would you have to shrink them in their mind if they fit in real life? :P Sounds like you grow them in your mind.

The Skarzs

More or less. :P Shrink, grow, same thing only different.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Sanddunes

Quote from: Ashleg on April 24, 2018, 07:29:26 PM
But why would you have to shrink them in their mind if they fit in real life? :P Sounds like you grow them in your mind.

You realize some of the boats in real life are a lot bigger then the boats in the Redwall world.
If someone in the Redwall world wanted to take a bear they would have to build a boat that could holed an animal that is 8+ feet and close to 1,000 lbs or more plus supplies

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Sounds a bit absurd to me.

I'm not saying bears would fit on some shrew's Logboat. But on a pirate ship? Probably. He might topple a lifeboat but would definitely fit on a pirate ship.

If it was eight or nine feet 10,000 pounds would be... unnaturally obese. The darn thing would be dead.

Sanddunes

Ashleg

Even so, using that logic multiple 8-9 foot tall bears would fit on a pirate ship.

http://www.pirates-privateers.com/what-weight-can-a-pirate-ship-withstand-qr1108.htm

Let's say that this is the bear bare minimum here. 1,000 pounds is equal to 0.5 tons-- a pirate ship's brig at minimum could hold 90.

Vilu Daskar's ship, as an example, would likely be higher, since it was described as extremely large.

The Skarzs

1000 pounds wouldn't be an issue. What I'm thinking about is the height. I don't think there would be a whole lot of room beneath deck for a creature that size.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Sanddunes

Quote from: Ashleg on April 25, 2018, 09:27:44 PM
Even so, using that logic multiple 8-9 foot tall bears would fit on a pirate ship.

http://www.pirates-privateers.com/what-weight-can-a-pirate-ship-withstand-qr1108.htm

Let's say that this is the bear bare minimum here. 1,000 pounds is equal to 0.5 tons-- a pirate ship's brig at minimum could hold 90.

Vilu Daskar's ship, as an example, would likely be higher, since it was described as extremely large.

Okay let's say they build a ship that could hold a bear it would need to be strong enough for the bear not to destroy it because bears are really strong and supplies for at least your crew

Sanddunes

Quote from: The Skarzs on April 25, 2018, 11:05:34 PM
1000 pounds wouldn't be an issue. What I'm thinking about is the height. I don't think there would be a whole lot of room beneath deck for a creature that size.

You right the height will be a lot bigger issue then the weight unless they just bring a bear cub

Ashleg

Quote from: Sanddunes on April 26, 2018, 03:44:14 AM
Okay let's say they build a ship that could hold a bear it would need to be strong enough for the bear not to destroy it because bears are really strong and supplies for at least your crew

You realize 0.5 means there are at minimum 89.5 TONS more weight the ship can hold.

And the height, well, if you said it would be around 9 feet tall, ships are taller than that. Very much so. The bear might have his head bopping the ceiling if he goes inside or something, but that's it.

Sanddunes

Quote from: Ashleg on April 26, 2018, 05:27:19 AM
You realize 0.5 means there are at minimum 89.5 TONS more weight the ship can hold.

And the height, well, if you said it would be around 9 feet tall, ships are taller than that. Very much so. The bear might have his head bopping the ceiling if he goes inside or something, but that's it.

You realize there's a big difference in size between a human and most of the creature in the Redwall world

The Skarzs

It's all up to the reader to decide that, Sand. :)

Quote from: Ashleg on April 26, 2018, 05:27:19 AM

Ships are taller than that? I'm. . . Confused.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Quote from: The Skarzs on April 26, 2018, 07:26:33 AM
Ships are taller than that? I'm. . . Confused.

Have you seen pirate ships?