News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Brian Jacques Day 2013 Official Discussion Topic

Started by DanielofRedwall, February 05, 2013, 08:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielofRedwall

Today, the forum celebrates the memory and legacy of author James Brian Jacques, who passed away this day two years ago (5th of February 2011) from a heart attack at the age of 71. His tragic passing left many worldwide shocked and heartbroken. Throughout his life Brian, a proud resident of Liverpool, lived as a sailor, actor, comedian, radio host, bus driver and police officer. He wrote his world-famous best-selling series Redwall to read to children at the Royal School for the Blind in Liverpool.

This is the official discussion topic for this year's Brian Jacques Day. Discuss Brian, his works, special memories, what you are doing to celebrate, and more.

R.I.P. Brian.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Lily

I still remember when I found out. I had just come back from a skiing trip in Nagano and was catching up on my internet time. Redwall.org didn't update much back then, but I still checked it a few times a week just in case. It was there that I saw the death notice.

I have too many things on to do anything to commemorate Brian Jacques Day today (I have to leave for my flute lesson soon!) but here's an anecdote that shows just how far back my love for Brian Jacques' books goes:

I was visiting a friend who had just had a baby when I was in Australia recently. Her mother was also there and we were talking about another friend of ours who is currently a little too obsessed with some anime that I've forgotten the name of. My friend's mum said something to me along the lines of, "Well, we all have our obsessions. Remember those animal books you used to read over and over again when you were in primary school?" I had to tell her that I still loved those books and that I was a moderator on the official forum. We had a laugh. ;D

Wot Wot!

Good Day Chaps, it''s time to remember the man who started it all.

Been a while since I've popped by, but thank you for still being here.  Out questin' dontcha know.

I started reading Brian Jacques late.  In fact, I had only read a few Redwall adventures when I heard he had passed away.  But I was hooked, immediately, and his passing was as that of a very close friend. 

I wrote a tribute to him which you can find here:  http://www.rabbitroom.com/2011/02/medicine-for-the-recovering-english-major/

I am having a wonderful time discovering his poetry and works which he wrote prior to Redwall.  What a voice!  A true Liverpudlian!

Well, cheers to all.  And most of all, to Brian Jacques!
All you cowards of the land and flotsam of the sea
Who murder, pillage, loot whene'er  you please
There's a Long Patrol a waitin', we'll greet you cheerfully,
You'll hear us cry 'Eulalia' on the breeze.

Matthias720

I have recounted this story many times before, but once more won't hurt. Summer vacation had just started after I finished 4th grade, and I was already somewhat bored with my time off. I turned on the TV to see if there was anything on, and I found that our local PBS station had once again changed their show lineup by adding in a new show I had never seen before. Of course, I am referring to the animated version of Redwall. I was immediately hooked. For the next five days I faithfully tuned in watching every episode, wistfully wishing that this amazing show was a book, as I was (and still am) an avid reader. Lo and behold, I come to find out that it was a book, and not just one, but a whole series! In no time I was a big fan, and I eventually wound up here. But that's another story for another time. For now, I dwell on the happy memories I have of Brian Jacques and his wonderful books.

It is a true honor for me to be able to administrate this forum, and to do so in service of the memory of a great author. Brian, you are missed. I regret that we never had a chance to meet, but the stories you wove show so much of who you were on the inside, that I feel I know you as well as I know my best friends. I will be forever changed by the tales you told, and I will do my part to keep your world alive for future generations. I salute you, sir. Eulaliaaaaaa!

Dawnwing

I checked out the first book the summer I turned 14, about six years ago.  Before I had time to start it, I got Lyme Disease and Ehrlichiosis (which is like Lyme Disease but rarer and more deadly) at the same time.  I spent the entire summer sick in bed, too sick to do anything but my mind fully awake and bored.  Whenever I felt up to it, I read a couple pages of Redwall.  Brian's world was just so vivid that even the times I wasn't feeling good enough to read anything, I could picture it in my mind.  Redwall and Mossflower definitely helped me get through that summer.  I am infinitely grateful that these books were there for that.  After I recovered I read the rest of the series and enjoyed them all too, and here I am today. :)

Dannflower Reguba

My sister gave me the first Redwall book..... I didn't really expect much, so I didn't start it for awhile, but eventually I got bored of everything else, and that was all I had.... From there I became somewhere around the addict level to the series as it was so well written. Brian's books have given me an appreciation and love for the world of fantasy, and the art of writing I would have never known. R.I.P. Jaques, I miss you and your writing... I take it we ALL miss you and your writing.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Tam and Martin

My sister Martin borrowed Lord Brocktree from our friend nd she read and got our whole family started.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

phoenixfoden

well ,how did i find redwall....well i had seen someone reading a copy of outcast of redwll in the libary and wasent that interested...until i saw the badger!.so i looked to see what it was called(to shy to ask)and went to search for the book in the libarys list,and when i found out that there were HEAPS of these books i checked out mattimeo and mariel of redwall.
thank you very much brian your stories changed my life.redwaaaallll!

Mattio

Well I found it because my brother had read it and the books were lying around the house and then at school this year I saw Salamandastron my first redwall book that I read then I kept reading and reading to the point that each time I go to the library I have memorized where Brian's books are. Thank you Brian. R.I.P. REDWAAAALLLLLLLLLLL

Romsca

My pen pal told me about it (or reminded me, I had planned to read it when I was older but I had forgotten)

Captain Tammo

Dear Mr. Brian Jacques,

Thank you for being a writer, for encouraging millions, for taking time out of your day to talk to me in New York City, for being original, for creating a community, for getting me interested in reading, for "ask Brian" and helping me develop my creativity. Thank you for your characters, your books and pamphlets about your books, for inspiring many to write books and RP's and fan-fictions and create drawings, paintings, models and sketches themselves. Thank you for an endless list of things!

From the whole Redwall community, thank you Brian Jacques!
We'll never forget ye, pal! ;)
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

winifred

Thanks for somthing legendary Mr. Brian! Thanks for sharing Redwall and you kindness with everyone! Happy Redwall Day Everyone!!!
Thank you Mr. Brian Jacques! :)
Sherlock
Doctor Who
Beyond the Western Deep
Mouseguard
Ranger's Apprentice
Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Book Thief
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
:D
And many many more...

cregga rose eyes

My older sisters read Redwall when I was younger and I always wanted to do what they did so I borrowed their copy of Mattimeo. I was 8 then and had not fallen in love with reading yet, but I really enjoyed Mattimeo. That was almost 7 years ago and obviously I'm still in love with Redwall (and reading ;)).
                                        Forever REDWALL!
Drifting with the wind
I usually go by LakeLake nowadays

brocka

Soryy to be so late with this but... Thanks Brian, so much for all those wonderful stories. You enhance my life constantly by the beauty of the legends and music. You left a legacy of the imagination to all of us Redwallers of every age. I always draw strength from the courage of the heroes and ordinary critters alike. Thanks again, B.J.

Lutra

I did miss this, but I will bring up a story nonetheless. :)  I was a late bloomer to Redwall books, and even later to the TV series (we didn't get PBS broadcasts) not reading the works of Mr. Jacques until I was almost 17.  I immediately liked the stories of courageous animals defending their medieval home from the invading rats.  By 1998 there were already multiple publications so I was able to read a few back to back.  I got my mother interested in reading the stories too.

Anyway, thanks again Mr. Jacques.  Your presence within the community continues to live on in our memories. :)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra