News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Mariel or LaterRose

Started by rachel25, March 30, 2013, 04:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

is Mariel or Rose (A.K.A LaterRose) better???

Mariel
11 (45.8%)
LaterRose
13 (54.2%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Dannflower Reguba

"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Free Thought

I don't really think that you can compare the two characters fairly since they are not even remotely the same sort.  Rose was an anchor and a voice of reason for a young and reckless warrior *ahem-Martin* whereas Mariel is a rash "warrior" bent on revenge. 

I think the question should not be who is better, but rather which type of female character appeals to you- quiet bravery (Rose) or unbridled courage (Mariel).  But hey, this is not my topic... :P 

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Martin the warrior

Quote from: Free Thought on April 15, 2013, 11:35:22 AM
I don't really think that you can compare the two characters fairly since they are not even remotely the same sort.  Rose was an anchor and a voice of reason for a young and reckless warrior *ahem-Martin* whereas Mariel is a rash "warrior" bent on revenge. 

I think the question should not be who is better, but rather which type of female character appeals to you- quiet bravery (Rose) or unbridled courage (Mariel).  But hey, this is not my topic... :P 

I agree, I liked rose mainly because of Martin but I loved Mariel's determination.
Apples is ripe when they are ready  
When pears is ripe they'll fall
What must happen will happen or       
it won't happen at all

To love, you must first love yourself

rachel25

Quote from: Martin the warrior on April 16, 2013, 02:47:03 PM
Quote from: Free Thought on April 15, 2013, 11:35:22 AM

I agree, I liked rose mainly because of Martin but I loved Mariel's determination.
THATS what i liked about her too  ;)

CrazyPug37

Mariel was more of the warrior type, though LateRose was more heroic, dying while trying to fight off Badrang in the Battle of Marshank.  Though I like both characters greatly, I would have to go with lateRose, as Mariel could be a tad hotheaded at times.
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Seychelles, Malawi, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritius, Madagascar, Congo, Gabon, Togo, Burkina Faso, Western Sahara

Afrika United

Maudie

Quote from: danflorreguba on April 14, 2013, 02:48:02 PM
Quote from: Vilu Daskar on April 13, 2013, 12:00:01 AM
Mariel is way better.

On what plane of thinking, might I ask.

She was more of a fighter, I like her style better than the gentle Laterose (and I really LIKE Laterose, so this was a tough choice.) Mariel was just more adventurous and spontaneous and hot-headed and rash and all those awesome character traits  ;D ;D

Quote from: CrazyPug37 on April 21, 2013, 06:07:26 PM
Mariel was more of the warrior type, though LateRose was more heroic, dying while trying to fight off Badrang in the Battle of Marshank.  Though I like both characters greatly, I would have to go with lateRose, as Mariel could be a tad hotheaded at times.

That is the best thing about Mariel! I Love Mariel!
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

rachel25

I'm rereading Mariel of Redwall at the moment and I love how BJ made her such a fighter  ;D come and join us  ;D

Redwallfan7

I like them both equally. Mariel is more of the tough, fighter type and Rose is more Mary-Sueish. For this reason I like Mariel first.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Kitsune

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Redwallfan7 on May 13, 2013, 12:30:52 AM
I like them both equally. Mariel is more of the tough, fighter type and Rose is more Mary-Sueish. For this reason I like Mariel first.
Rose wasn't Mary-Sueish! She wasn't even close to being Mary-Sueish!

Life is too short to rush through it.

rachel25

Rose was not Mary sueish at all
Spoiler
She died for fates sake
[close]
Here's a youtube video a found involving Rose

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Ungatt Trunn

Here's a youtube video a found involving Rose

It was part of the TV series. That was also the part that made me cry :'( Whenever I saw that part, I felt a heavy weight on my soul, the type that Martin would have certainly felt. That's one of the reasons why the 3rd Redwall Season is sooo special to me: it did a very, VERY good job of capturing Rose's death as it was meant to be.
Quote from: Captain Tammo on May 17, 2013, 08:02:46 PM
Mariel!!!!
Reasons?

Life is too short to rush through it.