News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Birds of Redwall

Started by Mariel, June 23, 2013, 03:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariel

I LOVE, LOVE , LOVE, Redwall and birds just as much. :)But I feel that they don't mix. :( The birds never seem as realistic as the other characters, even if they are a main character. :-\

Shadowed One

So, what is this you are discussing? I don't understand.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Lutra

What do you mean the birds aren't realistic?  The Sparra of the abbey attics are pretty cool.  You mention the birds not being realistic...well in what sense?  What in Redwall IS realistic? ;)  All characters are purely fictional and fantasy.  Find me a fox that can continually walk on its hind legs and carry something in its forepaws.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Rusvul

Quote from: Lutra on June 23, 2013, 03:33:32 PM
What do you mean the birds aren't realistic?  The Sparra of the abbey attics are pretty cool.  You mention the birds not being realistic...well in what sense?  What in Redwall IS realistic? ;)  All characters are purely fictional and fantasy.  Find me a fox that can continually walk on its hind legs and carry something in its forepaws.
Check!

Lutra

More like checkmate. ;)  I think the birds as described in the books fit perfectly with the universe Redwall is centered around.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Lutra on June 24, 2013, 12:38:14 PM
More like checkmate. ;)  I think the birds as described in the books fit perfectly with the universe Redwall is centered around.
Except, for the case of the Sparra Realm, they only appear in two Redwall books. Whatever happened to them after that? That is the only thing that seems unrealistic to me.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Mariel

I'll try to explain what I mean by not realistic. You know Skarlath from The Outcast of Redwall,he's very important,right? But haven't you noticed how he sort of seems to be, well, purer than the other characters in the sense that he dosen't seem as harshly driven as the others.(sorry if this didn't make to much sense, I'm not good at explaining things)Oh, and does anyone know what happened to the Sparra?          

Ungatt Trunn

BJ never explains what happened to them after the accounts in Mattimeo.

Lutra

Quote from: Mariel on June 25, 2013, 08:58:09 PM
I'll try to explain what I mean by not realistic. You know Skarlath from The Outcast of Redwall,he's very important,right? But haven't you noticed how he sort of seems to be, well, purer than the other characters in the sense that he dosen't seem as harshly driven as the others.(sorry if this didn't make to much sense, I'm not good at explaining things)Oh, and does anyone know what happened to the Sparra?         

Sorry, I don't follow at all.  How is Skarlath any different than others?  He's less vicious than others?  Too friendly perhaps because he befriends a badger?  I don't see how its any different than Matthias befriending Warbeak or the Redwallers befriending the kite in Mattimeo (forgot its name offhand).  I see nothing unusual.

As for the Sparra, there is no consensus on what happened, except they disappeared.  Mr. Jacques never explains what happens.  A good guess is they leave and find a new home after the death of their queen.  Perhaps returning to Redwall brings back too many memories of her passing to deal with.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Redwaller

Quote from: Lutra on June 26, 2013, 02:29:36 AM
Quote from: Mariel on June 25, 2013, 08:58:09 PM
Or the Redwallers befriending the kite in Mattimeo (forgot its name offhand).
She was Strike Redkite.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Lutra on June 26, 2013, 02:29:36 AM
As for the Sparra, there is no consensus on what happened, except they disappeared.  Mr. Jacques never explains what happens.  A good guess is they leave and find a new home after the death of their queen.  Perhaps returning to Redwall brings back too many memories of her passing to deal with.
But at the end of Mattimeo, it says that the Sparra were then ruled (?) by that owl, and that he would teach them different things. That's basically a reason for them to stay.

Shadowed One

Yeah. Just so you know, I think that there is a separate topic for this.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Mariel

Okay so no one agrees with me, maybe it's because you don't have the same insight with birds as I do  :P

I'm right! Haven't you noticed that the owls usually always seem quaint, and many of the other birds set on killing! I am right.

Maudie

Well, the birds do seem a little different than other creatures, but I think they fit into the world of Redwall. Sure, the owl are scholarly and quaint and the sparrows seem to be a little more bloodthirsty than typical Redwall creature, but it all fits into the story.

And as for Skarlath being "purer" than other characters. I do think he's a little more gentle and peace loving than you would expect a hawk to be, but it serves to make him unique.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Mariel

Quote from: Mask on July 09, 2013, 06:39:34 AM
Well, the birds do seem a little different than other creatures, but I think they fit into the world of Redwall. Sure, the owl are scholarly and quaint and the sparrows seem to be a little more bloodthirsty than typical Redwall creature, but it all fits into the story.

And as for Skarlath being "purer" than other characters. I do think he's a little more gentle and peace loving than you would expect a hawk to be, but it serves to make him unique.
Someone agrees with me!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D