Who is the secondary villain in mattimeo?

Started by clunylooney, May 01, 2020, 07:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these two is the secondary villain of Mattimeo?

General Ironbeak
Malkariss

clunylooney

A few days ago I realized something. I realized that I don't know who the secondary villain of Mattimeo is! Who do you think it is, General Ironbeak or Malkariss?
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Kade Rivok

I would say Ironbeak.  Malkariss and Nadaz and all those creatures are certainly villainous, but they don't have much agency, in my opinion.  They're more used as a plot device than anything else, giving Slagar somewhere to take the kidnapped creatures to and providing him forces and resources that he wouldn't otherwise have.

Off topic, but I recently went through that book again (it had been multiple years), and was kind of shocked about how the killing of the sparrows by Ironbeak and his crows was just sort of glossed over, ending up as more of a side note than anything else.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

clunylooney

I know! I thought Warbeak and all the others were killed until I remembered that Warbeak was safe off south being killed by rats. We never see Warbeak's mother Dunwing after Redwall, so sadly that may mean she was killed by Ironbeak.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Cornflower MM

I feel like I remember hearing that Dunwing passed in between books, but I don't actually remember. XD It's a been a while.

But on topic, definitely Ironbeak. I feel like Nadaz and Malkariss are more add ons to Slagar, continuing and fleshing out his plot, while Ironbeak is his own thing and much more present in the overall plot itself.

The Skarzs

I agree with what Kade and Corn said.

Malkariss and Nadaz were part of the primary plot, where Mattimeo, Slagar, Matthias, and the others were all involved.
Ironbeak was part of the secondary plot, the plight at Redwall while the main plot was going on.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Sebias of Redwall

I agree that Ironbeak is more of a villain than Malkariss and Nadaz. Or at least, he was more of an antagonist.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

I'm not sure I'd say that. Malkariss was definitely evil enough to be a villain. Ironbeak was the secondary villain, but that doesn't make him more vile than Malkariss and his servants. If anything, I'd be inclined to say that Ironbeak was less evil.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!