News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Skarz's Sketches

Started by The Skarzs, September 29, 2014, 03:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Wait. . . Self portrait? I'm glad you like it, but I'm not sure which picture you mean, mate. :D
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

He probably means the one with the troll.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

MeadowR

Lots of detail and I like how much you've considered the perspective of things in the room!
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

The Skarzs

Thank you very much, Meadow. :) It means a lot to hear things from a fellow artist.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Izeroth

Do you have any advice about drawing? I'm trying to draw well, but I just can't get the hang of it.

The Skarzs

Sure, I can give you a couple pointers. :)
For drawing people (and I use this for Redwall characters as well) the body is 7-8 heads tall, for proportion. The legs are also always longer than the arms, though I have ignored that with my troll drawings.
When trying to give something the appearance of thickness, shading is an important part, as well as perspective: A point at which light comes from is also a great help. The side away from the light is the darkest, and the side nearest is lightest, often with a point on which the light shines most directly. Roundness in nature can be achieved by texture, like drawing curved lines along the edges to give something a round, ball-like shape. This texture and/or shading will become lighter as it moves away from the edges and into the object, disappearing more or less when it reaches the light source.
Shape is an crucial addition. There are three types: Geometrical, organic, and free-form. A circle is a geometric form, a leaf is an organic one, and free-form is like drawing a blob of mashed potatoes. All drawings come from basic shapes.
Using shapes, one can use them to begin sketches. I like using ovals or an outline to start with; I draw ovals for limb segments to get basic shapes upon which I can build upon. With these it is easier to create stances before getting too far into the drawing to fix it easily.
Colors. Colors are good to have, even if you're using just pencil. They give character to the drawing, and attract the eyes. With pencil different colors can be achieved by different mediums of color, yellow being the lightest and blue being the darkest.
Perspective is a necessity. Things get smaller as they get further away, as well as becoming less clear and lighter in color. When drawing a landscape, that which is directly in front of you is vivid and dark, whereas a mountain will be dim and pale.
Texture can be a great addition, making something look rough like bark with dark and light strokes of the side of the pencil, or soft like fur by making a bunch of little strokes.
Hopefully that helps!

Also, I found a tuxedo that finally fits me.

;D ;D ;D ;D
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Faiyloe

Call me weird but I like how you drew your toes.  ;D  :P
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

The Skarzs

LOL. :D It's natural to go barefoot, so I had to let the toes free for all to see them in their lovely roundness. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rusvul

It's also natural to be nomadic, uncivilized, barbaric, and nude or clothed in hide. It's also natural to hit things with a stick until they die as your main source of food.

However, I do think it would be dificult to find shoes to fit your feet. I thought I had wide feet...

The Skarzs

You should see my feet IRL. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Faiyloe

I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Rainshadow

...Now I kinda wanna see what all the fuss is about your feet...  :P
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

The Skarzs

I could take a picture of my feet and show you guys, but I'll save you the trouble. :P :P :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Søren

And you'll save our eyesight.
Hehehehe, just kidding ;D

I'm retired from the forum