Marvel (Comics, Movies, TV Shows)

Started by Søren, December 19, 2014, 03:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Skarzs

You don't sound excited.

@Jet Interesting. Can't say I'm as up to speed with it all, and as much as I don't want any characters to die, what you said made sense.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

Quote from: Delthion on April 23, 2018, 02:58:44 PM
I would personally rather not see it on opening day, I would also rather see it with all of my family. Those are the main reasons.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jukka the Sling

Hopefully you like it!  I really did, although I could have done without all the language and the irreverent reference to Jesus (someone asks "what master do you serve?" and the other character sarcastically responds with something like, "What am I supposed to say?  Jesus?"  I mean, I laughed at the time, but now I feel rather disgusted by that part).  (Also, two unmarried characters are staying in the same hotel room, as seen in the trailer.  Luckily, the scene set there is brief. :/)

By the way, there is an end-credits scene but no mid-credits one.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

So I decided to rank the MCU films I've seen because I have a pathological obsession with ranking things. Anyway, here's my ranking:

14. Iron Man 2
13. Thor
12. The Avengers
11. Ant-Man
10. Doctor Strange
9. Age of Ultron
8. Guardians of the Galaxy
7. Guardians 2
6. Civil War
5. Iron Man
4. Infinity War
3. Ragnarok
2. Spider-Man Homecoming
1. Black Panther

Still need to see The First Avenger, Winter Soldier, Dark World, Iron Man 3 and The Incredible Hulk.

I know, unpopular opinion with the Avengers and Guardians movies.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Cornflower MM

Jetthebinturong

Mon dieu. I'm becoming predictable.

Anyway so I realised I haven't made a comment on my predictions yet.
Quote from: Jetthebinturong on April 24, 2018, 05:18:33 PM
So I've been hearing some Infinity War news, so here is my prediction/wishful thinking for where the MCU could be going in the next few phases.

Also I've heard Spider-Man is going to be visiting London in his next movie and I only have one thing to say to that:

But for real I'm quite excited that this could be the gateway to bringing in MARVEL UK characters. I want to see how they handle Merlin and Captain Britain.

Anyway, here are my predictions. Be warned for massive spoilers for the comics Avengers Disassembled, House of M, Young Avengers (2005), Avengers: The Children's Crusade, Loki: Agent of Asgard, and Young Avengers (2013).

So a casting call for Infinity War went out for identical twin boys. There's only one pair of twin boys that matter to any of the characters in Infinity War: Thomas and William Maximoff, aka Tommy Shepherd and Billy Kaplan, aka Asgardian/Wiccan and Speed, the children of the Scarlet Witch and Vision.

So why is this important? Well it's put my mind on the Young Avengers path, and influenced who I think is going to die in Infinity War. Not much, but it's added one specific person to my list.

So why Young Avengers? Well we've already got Cassie Lang, albeit an eight year-old version, Tommy and Billy. Soon we'll have Captain Marvel, which is likely to introduce us to the Kree-Skrull war. Disney might soon have control of the Fox properties, including Kang the Conqueror. And there is literally no way that Captain America is leaving these last two Avengers films alive.

So my revised list for who's going to die is: Cap, Tony, Vision, Loki, and Hawkeye.

Why? Well, let's assume Young Avengers is the end goal here. What better way is there to kill off Hawkeye than in Infinity War? Then Kate Bishop can step up and take over the Hawkeye mantle in a future MCU film. As for Loki, this takes some explaining. So in the comics, Loki is killed and reincarnated as a kid version of himself. Kid Loki vows to become good, but adult Loki's spirit or something kills kid Loki's spirit and takes over his body. Since I already thought Loki was going to die, it would make perfect sense that they would go with this plotline.

Vision was always going to die, and with him out of the way, that sets up the original Young Avengers where the young Kang the Conqueror travels back in time to prevent himself from becoming a villain, happens across the Vision's back-up consciousness, and uses his failsafe program to form the Young Avengers.

So okay that gives us Wiccan, Speed, Kate Bishop, Iron Lad, the new Vision, kid Loki and Cassie Lang. What about Hulkling and Patriot?

Well for Hulkling, first we need to start with the understanding that he is the son of the kree Captain Marr-Vell and Princess Anelle of the skrull empire. But hang on a minute, if we're skipping Marr-Vell and going straight to Carol Danvers being Captain Marvel, then how can Hulkling possibly exist? Well imagine for a moment that the movie begins with the original kree Captain Marvel dying on Earth after (though we don't know it at the time) delivering his child to Mrs. Altman to keep him safe from the radical factions that merely wish to continue the kree-skrull war? Maybe Carol Danvers gets the powers later after witnessing the dead kree? Whatever, the exact details aren't important, all that matters is that Marr-Vell is there and Danvers gets the mantle of Captain Marvel from him.

That just leaves Patriot.

Well since it looks like Bucky is going to be the White Wolf, and not the next Captain America, then that means that Sam Wilson must be the one to take up the mantle. It would make perfect sense for him to go looking into the history of the mantle and find out about the original Captain America, Isaiah Bradley. For those not in the know about MARVEL lore, before the super soldier serum was perfected, they tested it on black soldiers. The only one who survived, and got the perfect serum, was Isaiah Bradley, who became the first Captain America. But after disobeying orders, Bradley was imprisoned. At some point he also suffered lasting brain damage. Enter Eli Bradley, Isaiah's incredibly bitter grandson. He resents Captain America for taking his grandfather's place, and he hates that no one believes the stories of the original black Captain America. This could be a game changer for Eli's story if the first Captain America he meets is not Steve Rogers, but Sam Wilson, another black Captain America.

But let's get back to the Wiccan and Speed situation. Obviously we can't do the whole "Scarlet Witch destroys the universe twice after failing to save her children from Hell" storyline this time around, as this Wanda is not on the same reality-warping level as comic Wanda. However, there is an easy way for Thomas and William Maximoff to become Tommy Shepherd and Billy Kaplan. A grief-stricken Wanda gives them up for adoption after Vision's death. Or they could get displaced into different bodies by the Soul Stone.

And let's just forget about America Chavez, Noh-Varr and Prodigy for the moment, they're not necessary to the formation of the team.

Obviously this can't happen in phase 4 because the characters would be waaaaaaay too young (again, Cassie's eight at the moment and her dad is still alive, she's not exactly Stature material). But if we have a bit of a time-skip between phase 4 and phase 5, this could easily set up a Young Avengers arc.

Is this mostly wishful thinking? Yes, but it's still plausible, especially because of that casting call for Billy and Tommy.

Any thoughts?
Infinity War spoilers. Also contains thoughts on Ant-Man and the Wasp

Kid Loki is a possibility. Clint Barton seems to have retired so there's room for Kate Bishop to take up the Hawkeye mantle there. It would be more impactful if he died though. Billy and Tommy didn't show up in this film, so that must be an Avengers 4 thing. Or it's fake news. The latter would SUCK. I'm just saying that the Time Stone, Reality Stone, Mind Stone and/or Soul Stone could contribute to their existence. Eli Bradley and Cassie Lang were never an issue. Apparently Captain Marvel is set in the nineties so there's adequate time for Teddy to grow up there. And Vision's out of the way so there's room for the Kang storyline there.

And if I'm wrong that's fine. I don't need these characters to be in the MCU. If MARVEL would just give me a cartoon series for the Young Avengers then that would be 100% fine with me. Although if it's a cartoon it might be expected to be "for kids" and then they might shy away from Billy and Teddy's relationship and that would literally destroy the Young Avengers. Wickling is the backbone of so many of their story arcs. Wiccan is basically the main character of the Young Avengers.

Also Ant-Man and the Wasp. Who else thinks it's going to end with two of the main characters (i.e. Scott, Hope and Hank) crumbling to dust? I'm putting my money on Hope surviving the gauntlet and the other two "dying." Although that would mean that Scott survived Avengers 4 and thus there's fewer stakes for Cassie Lang to take on her father's mantle. So... idk. They can really kill him off at any time, it just makes sense to do it in the next Avengers. It would be pretty cool if Hank crumbles to dust in front of Hope while Cassie crumbles to dust in front of Scott though. I doubt Disney would allow MARVEL to kill a kid even temporarily though.
[close]

Delthion

As I said I watched Infinity War this Thursday and I hated it...so there's that. ;D

Ashleg

Jetthebinturong

I'm not quite sure how one can hate one of the best written and most visually impressive film in the MCU which is the only one that has any real stakes thus far, but to each their own.

Delthion

Spoiler
I didn't dislike it that much after I saw it, I liked the first part up to when they actually charge in the Wakandan fight. But I don't like how they require yet another superhero to save them. I find myself rooting against him/her (Depending on which version they use) because the entire superhero universe that we have come to know from the Marvel movies was unable to stop them. It felt like it wasn't even a story because all of the characters got so few lines. The writing when Starlord attacks Thanos against all reason AND emotion in this case, since they're already trying to end Thanos, why does he feel the need to start punching him? Why does Doctor Strange not just reverse time a bit and fix what went wrong with the fight? Why does he announce that he has a team that alerts Thanos to Iron Man bringing down this colossal structure on his head which would have done some more damage had Thanos not destroyed it half a second before impact? Just a few gripes with the story and the fact that I feel no sympathy whatsoever with the new heroes coming in.
[close]

Anyone else think that Scarlet Johhanson (spelling?) looked hungover the entire movie?

Jukka the Sling

@Jetthebinturong

How could you not have seen the first two Cap movies and the second Thor? XD  This must be remedied forthwith.  (I know a lot of people complain about the Thor movies, and yeah, they're flawed, but I really enjoyed them.  And The Winter Soldier is a veritable masterpiece.)
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Delthion on April 29, 2018, 03:44:05 AM
Spoiler
I didn't dislike it that much after I saw it, I liked the first part up to when they actually charge in the Wakandan fight. But I don't like how they require yet another superhero to save them. I find myself rooting against him/her (Depending on which version they use) because the entire superhero universe that we have come to know from the Marvel movies was unable to stop them. It felt like it wasn't even a story because all of the characters got so few lines. The writing when Starlord attacks Thanos against all reason AND emotion in this case, since they're already trying to end Thanos, why does he feel the need to start punching him? Why does Doctor Strange not just reverse time a bit and fix what went wrong with the fight? Why does he announce that he has a team that alerts Thanos to Iron Man bringing down this colossal structure on his head which would have done some more damage had Thanos not destroyed it half a second before impact? Just a few gripes with the story and the fact that I feel no sympathy whatsoever with the new heroes coming in.
[close]

Anyone else think that Scarlet Johhanson (spelling?) looked hungover the entire movie?

My justification for the Quill thing is that he's an abductee raised under the constant fear of being eaten. He's not exactly the most emotionally stable or rational dude.

Spoiler

"But I don't like how they require yet another superhero to save them. I find myself rooting against him/her (Depending on which version they use) because the entire superhero universe that we have come to know from the Marvel movies was unable to stop them." I don't really understand what this means.

The characters got plenty of lines. Except for team Cap.

Reversing time damages the universe if done incorrectly. I feel like trying it on the guy who has other sources of ultimate power is doing it incorrectly. Infinity Stones are bad news, no matter what. And I think Thanos destroyed the moon before he threw it because he was unwilling to destroy what was left of Titan.

I suppose the main problem is you're treating this as a superhero movie. It's not, it's a supervillain movie. This is Thanos' story through and through. He is the only character in this movie with an arc, and he's the one that makes the tough choices. From his perspective he's the lone hero standing against these people who are trying to prevent him from saving the universe. If you pay attention you'll see that he doesn't even act like a villain most of the time. He only hurts or kills people when he absolutely has to (as in he literally only kills Heimdall, Loki and Vision when he could easily kill anyone else). He keeps his promises. Obviously he's still a horrible psychopath, but this story does a lot to humanise him. He's not the Mad Titan. He's just Thanos.
[close]

Lady Amber

So I got to see Infinity War yesterday! It was totally epic, and I loved it.

Spoiler
I already knew beforehand that Loki was gonna die, but that was the only death I knew about. I felt really bad for Thor being stuck there, forced to watch his brother die, but at least Loki died semi-heroically? I mean, he was trying to stab Thanos, so at least he didn't die betraying Thor or anything. Also the part where he said, "We have a Hulk" was awesome. XD

Gamora's death was pretty sad, too, even though I've never seen the GotG movies and wasn't that much attached to the characters.

Peter Parker's vanishing/death was the saddest one out of all of the others, though. The way he grabbed on to Tony and was so terrified. Ugh, I felt so bad for him!

But Tony calling that guy Squidward. XD

Also can we all agree that Thor's new hammer is awful?
[close]