News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Book Suggestions Topic

Started by Hickory, February 13, 2015, 11:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hickory

So this is where you state your favourite genre and someone can suggest a book for you! I am reading The Night Circus and have the first two books in the Wildwood series waiting for me. So I obviously need no recommendations.

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Skyblade

Great topic! 8) I like all types of books...my favorite is probably fantasy, though.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Banya

Historical fiction (or non-fiction) please!  Specifically European, African, and North American history.  Any recommendations?

Eulaliaaa!

Ooh, this is a good idea. Unfortunately I've never been too into historical fiction, so I can't make any recommendations. I'm really into science fiction (Maximum Ride) and am trying to find a good book about people with wings or something like that (if you can't tell, I'm obsessed with the idea). I don't read books with weird spiritual/magic stuff like witches, demons, wizards, and uselesss things like that... any ideas?
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

The Mask

Quote from: Banya on February 14, 2015, 01:25:57 AM
Historical fiction (or non-fiction) please!  Specifically European, African, and North American history.  Any recommendations?
Leviathan series. Basically a steampunkish WW1
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Banya

Thanks, Mask.  I've heard of those but I don't remember why I never picked them up.  I worked in a library for 5 years, so I'm pretty familiar with all sorts of books, yet I still find myself in that struggle to find a great book every now and then.

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on February 14, 2015, 01:39:22 AM
Ooh, this is a good idea. Unfortunately I've never been too into historical fiction, so I can't make any recommendations. I'm really into science fiction (Maximum Ride) and am trying to find a good book about people with wings or something like that (if you can't tell, I'm obsessed with the idea). I don't read books with weird spiritual/magic stuff like witches, demons, wizards, and uselesss things like that... any ideas?

Um, I might recommend The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken but that could qualify as having magic in it. How about Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds and Invisible City by M.G. Harris, both are the first books in series if you think they're good. Oh, I missed that part about people with wings, I'm afraid I don't know anything about that, not in sci-fi anyway.

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Lady Ashenwyte

I want a manga book without horror and fantasy. Traditional Japanese format too.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Eulaliaaa!

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on February 14, 2015, 02:00:15 PM
Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on February 14, 2015, 01:39:22 AM

Um, I might recommend The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken but that could qualify as having magic in it. How about Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds and Invisible City by M.G. Harris, both are the first books in series if you think they're good. Oh, I missed that part about people with wings, I'm afraid I don't know anything about that, not in sci-fi anyway.

Sounds interesting... what's it about (if you don't mind explaining...)
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Jetthebinturong

The Darkest Minds is about a disease which caused all children after it was eradicated to develop superpowers, the government, fearing these children locks them up in concentration camps.

Revelation Space is about an archaeologist attempting to discover the true reason an alien race disappeared.

Invisible City is about a young boy named Josh Garcia as he investigates the suspicious death of his father which leads him to discovering the ancient hidden city of Ek Naab, the main theme of the series is time travel but there's other stuff too.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Eulaliaaa!

Cool, I'll have to see if my library has any of them...

Cornflower MM

I'll read just about anything. . . . . . I am quite interested in Greek/Roman/Egyptian mythology, however. Anyone know anything good?

The Skarzs

Besides an actual book on the matter? No. :P

One series I really enjoy is called "Magic Kingdom of Landover". The author, Terry Brooks, has written several books in the series, the first being Magic Kingdom for Sale: Sold! If you like fantasy, it's a good one for that. Currently I am reading the second edition: The Black Unicorn.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

It used to be fantasy, but now it is probably historical non-fiction.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Mask

Quote from: Cornflower MM on February 14, 2015, 09:53:51 PM
I'll read just about anything. . . . . . I am quite interested in Greek/Roman/Egyptian mythology, however. Anyone know anything good?
I'm sure you've read all the Riordan books?
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock