News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Book Suggestions Topic

Started by Hickory, February 13, 2015, 11:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hickory

Quote from: Skyblade on February 14, 2015, 12:09:37 AM
Great topic! 8) I like all types of books...my favorite is probably fantasy, though.

Then The Night Circus Is for you. It has real magic in it, along with romance between two competitors... oh wait, I'll give the whole book away!
Quote from: The Mask on February 14, 2015, 01:52:48 AM
Quote from: Banya on February 14, 2015, 01:25:57 AM
Historical fiction (or non-fiction) please!  Specifically European, African, and North American history.  Any recommendations?
Leviathan series. Basically a steampunkish WW1
Leviathan books are good, it is very steampunkish.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Cornflower MM on February 14, 2015, 09:53:51 PM
I'll read just about anything. . . . . . I am quite interested in Greek/Roman/Egyptian mythology, however. Anyone know anything good?

Not specifically Greek, Roman and Egyptian but The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series has stuff from all or at least most mythologies including Egyptian and Roman (it's been a while since I've read it, can't remember if there was any Greek stuff) the first book is called The Alchemyst

I'm a fan of fantasy and sci-fi mostly, dystopians are good too sometimes. Fantasy books can be set in any time as can the others
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Jukka the Sling

@Jet and anyone else who likes sci-fi and dystopia: Have you read the Tripods series by John Christopher?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

(Also known as the Blue Mountains series.)

Terry Brooks' other works, the Shannarra series, is pretty well-done, though there are a couple that aren't very good, and his style can be a bit frivolous.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

If you've read LOTR, read Narnia.

Jetthebinturong

I've read both.

I've heard of the Tripods series, I might check it out
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Mhera

Historical fiction (or non-fiction) please!  Specifically European, African, and North American history.  Any recommendations?
Have you read Unbroken?

Banya

Quote from: Mhera on February 15, 2015, 03:46:58 AM
Have you read Unbroken?

I have not, but I plan to when I have the time!  Thanks for the recommendation.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: The Skarzs on February 14, 2015, 10:03:02 PM
Besides an actual book on the matter? No. :P

One series I really enjoy is called "Magic Kingdom of Landover". The author, Terry Brooks, has written several books in the series, the first being Magic Kingdom for Sale: Sold! If you like fantasy, it's a good one for that. Currently I am reading the second edition: The Black Unicorn.

Actual books on the matter are fine by me. Nice suggestion.

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on February 14, 2015, 10:41:11 PM
I'll read just about anything. . . . . . I am quite interested in Greek/Roman/Egyptian mythology, however. Anyone know anything good?

Not specifically Greek, Roman and Egyptian but The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series has stuff from all or at least most mythologies including Egyptian and Roman (it's been a while since I've read it, can't remember if there was any Greek stuff) the first book is called The Alchemyst

I'm a fan of fantasy and sci-fi mostly, dystopians are good too sometimes. Fantasy books can be set in any time as can the others

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Quote from: The Mask on February 14, 2015, 10:11:18 PM
I'm sure you've read all the Riordan books?

Except BoO and the short stories. . . . . Other than that, yup.

MatthiasMan

In any of you here are rowers, check out the book Boys In The Boat.

Great story and really inspiring.

Eulaliaaa!

I would suggest The Mistmantle Chronicals to anybody who's read Redwall. It's very similar...
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Hickory

Yes it is, but it's only squirrels, mice, and hedgehogs. Ans swans.

Eulaliaaa!

No, it's squirrels, moles, otters, hedgehogs, swans, and ravens (the ravens don't appear in all the books, though). And it's still good even though it only has a few species, I enjoyed it very much and even own the books. It's not as good as Redwall, but it's well written and the author (M. I. McAllister, I think) has a great way of sucking readers into the world she's created.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Hickory

Eulaliaaa!

Captain Padra, Tide, Fingal, Corr... those are just a few.