Pirates vs. Ninjas

Started by Matthias720, October 14, 2011, 03:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you prefer pirates or ninjas?

Pirates
Ninjas
Meh. I don't care

Coobreedan

I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Nightfire

Did I actually post that previous statement of mine?? I can't remember.

NINJAS!!!
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Coobreedan

There are no animes about pirates. THERE ARE BILLIONS OF ANIMES ABOUT NINJAS!
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Matthias720

Coobreedan

And Naruto is the best! Believe it!

eualaia

naruto eats pie therefore he is epic and a ninja
wolves will slay whoever they want to.....*growl* "AGHH''

Tiria Wildlough

Let me show you why ninjas will triumph:

And they use shurikens, like Nightfire said!! 8) 8)

Don't tell me that isn't cool. Seriously.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Coobreedan

eualaia

Bragoon

Buzzkill Bragoon is a buzzkill. 
The question I always ask is whether you mean the common conception about ninjas, or the real ninjas?

Ninja's were assassins and backstabbers, not enigmatic masters of myriad martial arts and weapons.  Nobody trusted them because they weren't to be trusted.  They'd just as soon stab you in the back as another person.  They might have known certain styles of martial arts and used unique weapons, but when people talk about ninjas running up walls and dashing across rooftops, they're wrong. 
Any samurai or solid fighter in a Japanese army would know just as much, if not more, about martial arts as a ninja (on average, surely there were some specialized people in each party), and they almost certainly would know more about fighting with traditional weapons as a ninja.  Ninjas weren't trusted because they resorted to subterfuge and deceit to kill, not their masterful fighting skills.

Pirates, on the other hand, were dreaded by many seafarers for thousands of years.  They fought, killed, and stole for a living, and if you weren't good enough at any of those things, you weren't going to be a pirate for very long, and I don't mean due to a career change.  They learned tricks to lure other ships into a sense of false security so that they could get close enough to do what they did best.  Granted, most pirates wouldn't challenge a ship carrying soldiers and cannon, but some would for sure. 
No ninja would challenge a samurai to a straight fight.  Pirates did it for a living.  I'm going with pirates, thanks. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

eualaia

hmph i have a collection of ninja weapons including 5 katanas and 4 kunais

Bragoon

Lovely, but remember that katanas were swords used by Japanese fighters in general, not only ninjas, and kunai were more commonly used as farming tools than weapons.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

eualaia

kunai are throwing knives of a type

katanas are awesome i have one from a movie

Bragoon

Perhaps, but only adapted ones.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunai

I fully agree, Katanas are awesome.  So are Gladius (the sword, not the Latin word), Kukri, and nearly any other type of sword.  :P 

eualaia