News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Pirates vs. Ninjas

Started by Matthias720, October 14, 2011, 03:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you prefer pirates or ninjas?

Pirates
Ninjas
Meh. I don't care

Tiria Wildlough

You may be right, Bragoon. Things are always better in stories than in real life. And nobody can run up a wall. :D
But pirates were just as bad. They did awful things which don't get put in the kids' books, and anyway, there are hardly any of them now. You might not like ninjas for what they actuallly did, but pirates stole, murdered, burned buildings, plundered, and ruined peoples' lives. How can you go with pirates?
That said, NINJAS!
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Nightfire

I like ninjas just because their whole world revolves around stealth and awesome swords and shurikens. ;D
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Bragoon

I agree, pirates were awful people too, but I'm still going to stick with them. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

eualaia

wolves will slay whoever they want to.....*growl* "AGHH''

Bragoon

A modern replica Katana.  Older is better. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

eualaia

Nightfire

My brother has a katana. The thing is so sharp it can slice a leaf in midair. ;D
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Redwall Musician

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on January 30, 2012, 12:46:01 PM
You may be right, Bragoon. Things are always better in stories than in real life. And nobody can run up a wall. :D
But pirates were just as bad. They did awful things which don't get put in the kids' books, and anyway, there are hardly any of them now. You might not like ninjas for what they actually did, but pirates stole, murdered, burned buildings, plundered, and ruined peoples' lives. How can you go with pirates?
That said, NINJAS!

You have to realize that pirates actually lived a pretty rough life. They usually had little to eat and went cold. Poor pirates.
At least pirates still had some honor about them. They didn't hide in the shadows and wait until your back was turned to murder you. Pirates at least could look in the face while fighting.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Nightfire

Redwall Musician, you just changed my sidein the war., Pity I can't change votes. I still prefer the ninja's weapons, but that said....PIRATES.

Redwall Musician

Quote from: Nightfire on January 31, 2012, 05:13:58 PM
Redwall Musician, you just changed my sidein the war., Pity I can't change votes. I still prefer the ninja's weapons, but that said....PIRATES.

*hugs Nightfire*
Hurray!
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Bragoon

*applause*  Yay, a new recruit! 

eualaia

i have a katana i can use it on watermelons with incredible speed, ninjas didnt always murder

Bragoon

It depends on your definition of murder.  I would say yes, they did (perhaps almost) always murder, since they rarely fought in wars because they were for or against a side, they fought as mercenaries for whoever would hire them.  They weren't protecting anything, they were only killing for money.

Pirates pretty much always murdered too, I'm just pointing out that neither side is justified in that course.

It all depends on what the weapon was made for.  A Katana is a weapon for swift strikes, whereas a Broadsword is built for heavy blows. 

eualaia

katana beat broadsword katana=precision

broadsword= unaccurate

trust me i know

Bragoon

I know too, since I've handled both.  Again, it depends on what you're going to use it for.  If I'm going to fight a man in plate and chain armor (as in 15th century European), I would much rather have a Broadsword, because a Katana isn't going to make it through the armor, despite all of it's famed sharpness.  If I'm going to fight a man in leather armor (as in Japanese man-at-arms armor), I would much rather have a Katana, because, like you said, a Broadsword can be unwieldy, and a Katana could cut through that.

It's really going to be the chain armor that stops the Katana.  Chain-mail was specifically designed to stop blades, and it did it very well, resulting in the style of battles that took place around the era it was worn - whoever could incapacitate more of the enemy's force won, not whoever could actually kill more of their men.  That's why weapons like maces were developed, because they were going to have a hard time making it through all the armor to cut anyways, so there was no reason not to just cut to the chase and be rid of the man.