"Why ‘Redwall’ Should Be the Next Huge Movie Series"

Started by DanielofRedwall, July 16, 2017, 07:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

The "innocence and glory" of the "original" fandom is all just nostalgia fer you old folks.
This might be considered the "glory" in the opinions of some of us.

And new fans would not bring more "innocence", again, if you have ever seen large fandoms.

I do like movie theatres, but not for Redwall.
A modern film or series would spoil it.

Jetthebinturong

No it wouldn't.

Like, yeah I don't really want a movie adaptation. But a bad adaptation won't take away from the appeal of the original work.

Just because The Mortal Instruments has two terrible adaptations doesn't mean I like it any less. The new Death Note film may not be good, but it's not ruining the original manga and anime; they're still available to read and watch. If the Skulduggery Pleasant movie (which will happen, I still have hope) is terrible, I'll still love the original books.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Sunflash the Mace

Quote from: Ashleg on August 26, 2017, 01:26:34 AM
The "innocence and glory" of the "original" fandom is all just nostalgia fer you old folks.
This might be considered the "glory" in the opinions of some of us.

The ROC used to be huge and diverse, with lots of people on lots of sites doing lots of RP, fan fiction, artwork, and discussion, and there were still Redwall books being published so we all had something to look forward to and discuss.  Sure, the internet as a whole is a lot more toxic now, but I still think more attention and more fans would do the Redwall community some good.

Hypothetically, what if it turned out to be a perfect adaptation? Are you just worried it'll be bad, or you against the whole idea in the first place?

Ashleg

I think "perfect" in my opinion is different from most peoples'.
And even if it was...mmmnnnngh...I'm still mostly against it.

If it was perfect, this may be hard to understand, but I am quite sure I would like the movie but hate that it exists.

LordTBT

Quote from: Ashleg on August 23, 2017, 10:49:34 PM
How about an unofficial fan-made series?

I fear ANY official adaptation would screw it up, but if it's unofficial it can be bad and no one will care.

This.isn't.legal.

http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:LordTBT/Essay:A_Primer_on_Copyright

QuoteI agree. The innocence and glory of the original Redwall Online Community is probably lost forever, but I think it would be fantastic to bring in new fans to the series and rejuvenate interest.

Agreed. There are many fans out there who have left the ROC as they got older, and I'm sure would return, as well as many Redwall fans and casual fans who have never been a part of the ROC who would join. Not to mention, a movie would inspire many to read the books. The TV show certainly did.

QuoteI do like movie theatres, but not for Redwall.
A modern film or series would spoil it.

Movie adaptations only "spoil" something if you let it. I didn't let that horrible Harry Potter 3 movie ruin the book for me. I shrugged it off - because I know the book is better.

I'm confident Redwall will be adapted to the big screen. Animated movies nowadays don't tell stories anything like Redwall, which makes it perfect for Hollywood.

Ashleg

So by your definition fan-art isn't legal? Then why do we have that section?
That Warriors thing was non-profit, and no doubt it would be if it was done with Redwall.

What makes you "confident" it will be? If it isn't clear, Redwall is not hugely popular. Movies nowadays aren't in it for plot and whatever, they're in it for money.
If it doesn't seem like it will earn a quick buck it won't get greenlit.
That's why we have a million "Land Before Time" sequels and cheaply made garbage like "The Emoji Movie" instead of anything with actually worthwhile stories.

Of course, anything Disney makes will be good (to an extent) and profitable. But Redwall isn't Disney material. It's too dark.

Andy

I don't know anything about the old online fandom, since I wasn't a part of it, but I know the current online community feels horribly exclusive, and is really good at making people who are different or newish feel really uncomfortable and misplaced. A bit of a wider audience would help alleviate this problem. And because Redwall isn't super popular, modern film adaptations would likely not bring enough of an influx to make the community or fandom "big."
Only actions can speak the truth.

Ashleg

LordTBT

Quote from: Ashleg on August 27, 2017, 01:40:07 AM
So by your definition fan-art isn't legal? Then why do we have that section?
That Warriors thing was non-profit, and no doubt it would be if it was done with Redwall.

What makes you "confident" it will be? If it isn't clear, Redwall is not hugely popular. Movies nowadays aren't in it for plot and whatever, they're in it for money.
If it doesn't seem like it will earn a quick buck it won't get greenlit.

1. Fan artwork and fan fiction fall into a legal gray area of sorts. Certainly, copyright holders could make demands here, most choose not too. And in regards to Redwall, the copyright holder is more than familiar with the fact that it's a part of the community, and is OK with it. In fact, one fan artist even became a Redwall illustrator - Mr. Rubin - which should tell you all you need to know.

2. What makes me confident? It's a great story? The many attempts to make it happen indicate to me that some day it will happen. It's also a franchise with many stories, which means it's possible to do sequels/prequels.

QuoteI don't know anything about the old online fandom, since I wasn't a part of it, but I know the current online community feels horribly exclusive, and is really good at making people who are different or newish feel really uncomfortable and misplaced. A bit of a wider audience would help alleviate this problem. And because Redwall isn't super popular, modern film adaptations would likely not bring enough of an influx to make the community or fandom "big."

You may find this helpful:
http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/Redwall_Online_Community

Can you explain more about feeling "really uncomfortable and misplaced"? What happened?

Redwall may not feel "super popular" - but that's because there aren't books being published. There's a ton of interest in The Warrior Reborn, which comes out next month. Something doesn't have to be a current pop culture phenom to be successful at the box office. If the right team is in place, movie magic happens.

How many of these books were you familiar with before they received film adaptations?
http://www.elle.com/culture/books/g29305/movies-based-on-books-2017/

Andy

Quote from: LordTBT on August 27, 2017, 10:53:45 PM
You may find this helpful:
http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/Redwall_Online_Community

So basically like every online fandom ever. The supposed "good old days" everyone who was active in a fandom in the early 2000s reminisce about.

QuoteCan you explain more about feeling "really uncomfortable and misplaced"? What happened?
Nothing happened. It's just the community is very small and extremely tight-knit. And from what I've observed, a lot of the people in the community don't seem too keen on that changing at all. People seem cold and distant towards those who aren't already a part of the fold, while seeming very warm and friendly to established members. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone I've seen, nor do I think it's deliberate or that it says anything bad about the people here, it just lacks the welcoming air that one would expect from a Redwall fandom. But maybe that's more because I make people uncomfortable than the community itself.

QuoteRedwall may not feel "super popular" - but that's because there aren't books being published. There's a ton of interest in The Warrior Reborn, which comes out next month. Something doesn't have to be a current pop culture phenom to be successful at the box office. If the right team is in place, movie magic happens.

How many of these books were you familiar with before they received film adaptations?
http://www.elle.com/culture/books/g29305/movies-based-on-books-2017/

Only about 4 of them. But that's not really the point, is it? I won't see most of them, and the ones I do, I most likely won't look for online fandoms to join. Those movies having any success won't necessarily make a large number of people join online communities for them.

I'm not saying Redwall definitely needs a film or whatever. Maybe The Warrior Reborn will help enough without the series having to get widespread attention.

Grond

@Andy

Speaking of the "good old days" of the ROC of the 90s and early 2000s- they really were. Its not nostalgia for a bygone better past- if you look at the basic stats/facts the ROC was far more active then. You had several large sites with a membership base of over 1000 active members as well as a multitude of smaller sites. Presently I only know of 2 active Redwall fandom sites- this one and the Redwall wiki. I am not sure how active the Redwall wiki is, as I rarely go there, but this forum is well "marginally active"- really only an outpost. So yeah the ROC really is only a shadow of its former self....

As for it not being welcoming- hmm the people on this site, as well as the whole site is the friendliest forum I've ever seen or been a member of. I'm not exactly sure how do you feel not welcomed? Has anyone been rude to you or ??

Andy

I'm not sure derailing this thread is the right place to talk about the unwelcoming feeling I've picked up on. The short answer is no, no one's been rude to me directly. If that's not good enough, we can talk about it in another thread or PMs I think.

I'll let this topic get back to its point.