News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Dibbuns' Names

Started by Ashleg, March 03, 2018, 04:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

Dumble. Dwopple. Wugger. Chugger. Gadgee. Toobles. Yooch. Trubble.

This is something that always bothered me, and I don't think anybeast has mentioned it before.

Dibbuns' names--especially in the later books. Oho.

These names, in my opinion, are horrible. They are fine for babes, but imagine when the character grows up and his friends are calling him "Trubble" or "Toobles."

TOOBLES? What's a TOOBLE?

Alas, it is no wonder why we never see any of these Dibbuns as adults. They just could not take the indignity and had to flee the Abbey, of course.

(No, but I am interested. Do you guys agree? Disagree?)

*As a side note, it can be proved that these are not merely nicknames as Rollo grew up to have the same name, despite his being arguably much better.

sunflashtheace

lol good point but seriously I LOVED DWOPPLE SO FUNNY AND NAUGHTY LOL
I definitely agree tho

Ashleg

There was one named NAUGHTY?

Gosh.

That...

Whew.

sunflashtheace

nonono I mean dwopple was naughty lol. They did have some erm interesting names

Ashleg

Ah. I interpreted that wrong.

Gonff the Mousethief

I saw why's Brian would give them cutsie names like that, but when they grew up, what Adult would want to be named Wugger? It seemed all the older Abbey members had mature names but the Dibbuns not at all. So why then when later books do older folk have better names if the little ones in books before sounded like a cartoon sound effect?
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Ashleg

Yeah, I could see why, for them as dibbuns.

I think Arven was a good example of having a normal name.

The Skarzs

Perhaps some of them were short for something, like Robert being called Bobby as a kid. (Of course, there is no evidence this is the case.) More than likely, they were intended to sound like they belonged to children.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

I guess "Dwopple" sounds sort of normal, but none of the other things seem like they could come from something.

MeadowR

Father Yooch. I think that works okay. ;D

The names can be pretty cute for Dibbuns, but agreed they aren't all so appropriate for later life. I suppose some names have been Dibbun-fied for them to pronounce better or something? Trubble could be... Trudy? Ermm. Wugger could really be William! etc.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ashleg

I thought Trubble was a guy.

MeadowR

Okay, maybe not Trudy, then. :D
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

The Skarzs

Trubbick? Just plain Trubb?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

I would agree with this is there was a scrap of evidence towards it.

(Though there was one hero with a very stupid name...he was a hedgehog and all around not memorable, a thief I think...)

Cornflower MM