News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Salamandastron!

Started by Trigoma, June 24, 2011, 05:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannflower Reguba

Actually I JUST read Taggerung AND own it. Russano was planning on paying his respects to Cregga and then leaving right away BUT, Mhera insisted that he stay (there was some urging by other beasts too... I think) so they stayed for awhile... And sustaining doesn't mean something has to be big either, there were usually a good number of patrolers out at one point or another.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

W0NWILL

Quote from: Nightfire on September 23, 2011, 11:15:16 PM
Seriously, though. I wonder why no other badger lord except Boar ever used it, or even mentioned it.

I'm pretty sure it's because no badger lord ever needed it. They had plenny of hares, Boar had the least ever recorded. He relied on the searat's superstition to keep them away from Mossflower.

Trigoma

Whew, I used to talk so grammar-less and horrifyingly :o Times change.

I just wish Brian had a chance to write a book about Salamandastron itself before he passed on to the great abbey in the sky.
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time...that is up to you."
—Happy Mask Salesman

phoenixfoden

Lord Gorath

I think Salamandastron was made into the great fortress it is today by great badgers from the south, more south than Castle Floret.

Gonff the Mousethief

why is there only fire in it in mossflower? ???
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

321tumbler

Wylder Treejumper

He means why is it only a "fire mountain" in the book Mossflower.
The answer is, in Mossflower is the oldest (in Redwall time) mention of Salamandastron.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Blazemane

I think it's because of the fact that the fire in the mountain in the book Mossflower is deliberately put there by Boar the fighter while he's trying to warn the pirates coming near the shores to stay back. He heats the forge room up and lets the flames show. Apparently none of the other badger lords were ever interested in trying this out.

But Salamandastron never erupts in the Redwall series, so even the "fire" in Mossflower is... literally just fire; never lava.

321tumbler

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on March 24, 2014, 07:44:53 PM
He means why is it only a "fire mountain" in the book Mossflower.
The answer is, in Mossflower is the oldest (in Redwall time) mention of Salamandastron.
Thanks.

Osu

Alrighty, here's a question: are all hares who live at Salamandastron required to serve in the military? If not, do "civilian" hares live under a different set of laws and expectations than the Long Patrol hares, or are they subject to a sort of martial law? In the case of martial law, do the Patrol hares have precedence -- that is, would the Patrollers be considered the "higher class?"

In TSQ Buckler's brother and father were evidently not warriors: I got the impression Buck's dad didn't serve in the traditional sense, but rather just acted as an advisor to Brang. Clerun, on the other hand, was specifically mentioned as being on Patrol at one point, and then later on he left the Patrol -- and the Mountain. I got the idea that he had to leave the Mountain in order to leave the Patrol. And later on in the story, Clarinna specifically keeps away from Salamandastron because she doesn't want her babes raised to be fighters: so it seems to me all hares must fight if called upon, period.

But if that's the case it means the commanding officers knowingly send out sub par (for lack of better word) warriors to fight, and that doesn't strike me as a very hare-ish thing to do... using Clerun as the example again: he didn't stand a chance when forced into a fight which killed him, but he was definitely in the Long Patrol. How does that figure, I wonder? Either he was a trained warrior capable of defending himself or he wasn't; of course it's entirely likely he would have been killed in the end regardless, but it's disturbing to think he was left relatively defenseless despite having been a former warrior, especially a warrior by Long Patrol standards. Pretty strange. What do you guys think?
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

The Skarzs

Salamandastron does seem like a bit of a dictatorship, come to think of it, but not one that every beast under it's influence might be miserable about. I think that all hares in the mountain have an obligation to be trained for fighting. But I also think that they are lenient enough to let a hare go if they so desire.
Also, hares are noble creatures in the book, and most would like nothing better than to serve their badger lord in the best way possible, even if they have never been to the mountain and only heard of it.
Now I come to the point of those taking care of the mountain, i.e. cooking, cleaning, apprenticeships for weapon making, infirmary keeping, etc. These are necessary, and the hares in charge of some of these might never see battle. But aren't these all part of a military? "An army walks on it's stomach", so it would be a crucial part of the military. They are a background part of the military, but a part nonetheless.
So to answer your question: Yes, I do think so.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

SilentSam

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on June 24, 2011, 09:47:39 AM
Forgive and correct me if I'm wrong, but lots of vermin believe that the hares and the badger lord is hiding treasure in Salamandastron.
Wow.
;D~~~~Silent~~~~Sam~~~~Squirrel~~~ ;D
HEHE!

I AM SAM ;D
Cicha sam jest najlepszym redwall znaków!

James Gryphon

Mod: Do not make single-word responses to previous posts. It adds nothing to the discussion.
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

It took me half an hour to type my last post; anyone want to comment on it? :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.