Should Redwall be adapted into a Netflix series?

Started by Rokukeshiba, October 04, 2019, 05:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rokukeshiba

I can see more advantages of Redwall being on Netflix and being able to get away with its more violent parts. 

Tungro

I am not sure, I wouldn't trust Netflix to handle it right

Jetthebinturong

Netflix do shows better than most big companies nowadays. And adaptations usually suck.

But they probably wouldn't do a cartoon, and I doubt they have that high a budget for CGI.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

One-Eye the wildcat

Yeah, some of their shows (especially Big Mouth and a couple others) did really well,so yeah. I think a netflix adaptation wouldn't go amiss
"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

Kade Rivok

Plus, a Netflix adaptation would mean Redwall would mean a ton of exposure, relatively speaking.  I think that'd be a good thing.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Sebias of Redwall

I'm pretty sure that at one point, the three Redwall seasons were all on Netflix, but then were taken off.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Jetthebinturong

Roku meant that Netflix should make an entirely new adaptation with a tone more similar to the books.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

One-Eye the wildcat

To be honest, I don't know how tey could screw it up worse than the tv show did...
"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: One-Eye the wildcat on October 10, 2019, 08:26:42 PM
To be honest, I don't know how tey could screw it up worse than the tv show did...
Well... I actually already have a pretty low opinion of Netflix so... *Shrugs*

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

DanielofRedwall

Originally, my answer would have been an emphatic 'YES'. After watching the Watership Down Netflix series, I am inclined to say 'no'. Not a fan of the uncanny valley-inducing animation. Of course, that doesn't mean a Redwall series would have the same issue, but I think it counts as an indication of the quality it would attract given both books are of comparative popularity.
Received mostly negative reviews.

a crumb

I want to say yes. Thing is, what I really want is an antidote. I'm tired of the grimdark themes and aesthetics of today. We need a proper lurch, because it has just gotten cartoonish at this point, and Netflix is the worst offender. Hearing 'Netflix original' is an instant ticket to irrelevance and avoidance for me. They may as well be parodies of a contemporary style that's more a handicap than anything. Give me an unabashedly white-black morality, adventure-loving, unapologetically hyper-Redwallian tv series.
Faithful to the books, but that embraces a tight narrative. Don't be afraid to sacrifice strict adherence to the letter, for investing in the underlying spirit. A sticking point in adaptations of Redwall is always about the difficulty of sustaining anything given the lack of close, interwovenness between books, and its constantly shifting cast of characters. I'd be happy to see a super inventive take that mixes plots and characters around. Appropriate plot points as necessary. Let Matthias be around and kicking through a third season that is the Pearls of Lutra. An old warrior still trying to follow Martin's strict standards and values. Who is more married to one-off characters than to the plots depicted? Some, of course. But who thinks Martin II is cooler than Ublaz Mad Eyes? But I want more Redwall content. It may as well be actual new content, while it's at it.
Just give me a pampered, plumed, perfumed Ublaz already. He needs more justice.

(also, hi. i might most more. if it's worth it.)

Sebias of Redwall

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

MeadowR

Somebody needs to have a crack at it and I'd rather Netflix than a Hollywood studio nowadays. However, I would still be very nervous about a Netflix version getting it right. For one, it bothers me when a series strays too far from the original material to the point it is ridiculous and/or simply lacks any spirit of the source, e.g. BBC's recent War of the Worlds and Netflix/BBC's Watership Down (as mentioned above). >_< They've got to keep the spirit of the books to make the series stand out! :) If you can't do it - don't do it!
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

clunylooney

"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me