News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Jan 18- Sopa Strike

Started by Taggerung_of_Redwall, January 15, 2012, 02:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Just so everyone knows, there's going to be a major blackout Anti-Sopa (Stop Online Piracy Act) strike on the internet on Jan 18. Sopa Strike.
Basically, the United States, in both houses of Congress, have been arguing over two bills, PIPA and SOPA, for months. International and national people in the millions have protested, petitioning, e-mailing, calling and peacefully gathering in this time, and it's done a ton of effect.
It's likely Wikipedia will be one of the blackout sites, as well.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

eualaia

thiz zite goin down? if zo how long?
wolves will slay whoever they want to.....*growl* "AGHH''

rakkety tam

rock'n'roll  will survive

25% nerd 25% redneck 25% rocker 25% Redwaller  100% me

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: rakkety tam on January 15, 2012, 04:49:10 AM
is it just for some sites
If you click on the link, it gives a list of the websites participating.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Matthias720

Thanks for posting that, ToR. I'll have to check that out when I get the chance.

Lutra

I think this issue is plenty dead as far as getting things passed is concerned.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Mad Maudie

can't get to the page is this site going down??
Cause you are the piece of me I wish I didn't need
Chasing relentlessly and I don't know why
If our love's tragedy why are you my remedy?
If our love's insanity why are you my clarity?
Why are you my clarity?

~Clarity~~Zedd~

Lily

This site isn't going down, as far as I know. Taggerung was just pointing out that a few of the more major sites on the internet are "going dark" to protest the internet censorship bill.

eualaia

oh, ok   

woot thiz zite isnt goin down
wolves will slay whoever they want to.....*growl* "AGHH''

Tiria Wildlough

What does 'going dark' mean?
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Lily

It means that participating sites will be taken down for 12 to 24 hours. Basically, no one will be able to access the content of the sites, it'll be like they've disappeared. They'll likely be replaced with something like this or this. Wikipedia has joined in, you can find out more about it here.

DanielofRedwall

There at some major sites going down or possibly going down. Wikipedia has been confirmed, as has Minecraft, Cheezburger and related sites and TwitPic. Even more major sites are possibly going down but haven't confirmed yet. These are Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Yahoo!, 4chan, Amazon, eBay and... Wait for it... Google. This will be huge. I don't know if it will effect Australia, though.

Alexis Ohanian (co-founder of Reddit) had this to say about SOPA: "It's the equivalent of being angry and trying to take action against Ford just because a Mustang was used in a bank robbery."
Someone on the internet (no-one famous) said "If people steal cars do you ban cars or prosecute offendors who do so?"
Those two quotes explain my position perfectly.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

The sites are going down completely, thus the internet will be affected globally.
Google has gone in somewhat, see here for their movements. Going down entirely...that'd be quite a 'wow'. And an even bigger day for the internet.
Twitter will not. See here.
Facebook is similar. I wouldn't expect any of those sites to go down.
But Wikipedia's 25 million views on their English pages a day will certainyl get the word out.
But as Jimmy Wales has said, the whole thing is pointless if people don't do something about it, mainly call their Representatives and Senators.

*edit:
The last blackout in internet, 1997: http://old.cdt.org/speech/cda/960203_48hrs_alert.html
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Melody

I don't get it..................
Why are they shutting down?

Bragoon

Melody, they're protesting a bill that's going through Congress in the U.S. right now.  My understanding is that it would restrict what can be posted and communicated on and through the internet.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16