News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Annoying things about the TV series

Started by W0NWILL, July 28, 2012, 06:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildDoogyPlumm

They totally messed up the plot of the original Redwall!  There's tons of scenes that aren't in the book, and they don't even introduce Sam until the second-to-last episode!
And Pallum's gender change.  That was really annoying.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Lutra

If I only read this thread, and never had seen the tv series, then I'd think it was downright terrible!  Surely there are good things about it.  I can't be the only one who had good things to say. :)

Post about the good stuff in this thread: http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=2477.0
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Tiria Wildlough

Seriously, I can't say that any parts were outstanding. I agree with most of the people in this thread.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Skalrag of Marshank

Quote from: xxmpxx on August 04, 2012, 08:00:37 PM
Okay did this make anyone else mad? in the first season especially when they would cut to the tapestry at the end and then again at the begining of the next episode. If you could already see the story why didnt they just look at the tapestry to see what they had to do. i know its a cartoon but there was one instance (cant remeber the episode) where they just walked right past it and you could see the stroyline.

I always thought that the tapestry was a kinda unique way of recapping the episode. I thought it was kind of cool. But that's just me.  :P
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Flandor

I think people are being a bit picky about what is essentially a public broadcast cartoon done on a budget.  Nelvana did a fine job with it, in my opinion.  They were responsible for other great children's programming such as Little Bear and Franklin, and I found they brought the same cozy feel to the Redwall series.  Sure, they kidded it up a bit, but it had to be to be shown on PBS in the afternoons along with shows like Arthur and Between the Lions.  I thought it was an excellent way to get younger viewers interested in a book series they might never pick up otherwise, and to entertain fans of the stories. 

They sure could've done a worse job.  It was relatively close to the stories, barring a few changed they had to make in order to get it put on TV, and didn't horribly misrepresent them.  That's all I would ask of a children's adaptation of anything.  I found it entertaining and own several DVDs.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Vilu Daskar

I don't like the whole I am that is thing.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Redwallfan7

"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

WildDoogyPlumm

Quote from: Lutra on August 05, 2012, 02:39:42 PM
If I only read this thread, and never had seen the tv series, then I'd think it was downright terrible!  Surely there are good things about it.  I can't be the only one who had good things to say. :)

Post about the good stuff in this thread: http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=2477.0
There are good things about it, but this is a topic to complain about everything bad about it.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Lutra

^ While true, everyone appears to be ignoring the other thread only a couple of posts down. ;)  So again, it appears there's very little good to say about the series.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Flandor

I know this is a topic for voicing complaints about the show, but I do feel like people are judging the show by the wrong standards.  As I said above, it is a children's program, which was aired in the afternoons along with other shows geared towards a younger audience.  Mr. Jacques even appeared on the show in between segments, so he must have agreed with how they did it in some regard at least. 

The animation, to me, didn't feel cheap at all compared to some of the horrifically done children's programming that is popular.  It was traditionally done, by Nelvana, who generally puts out quality work.  I mean, compare the Redwall show to something like the computer generated animation so popular now, and it's clear which one was done with more care.  Nelvana was responsible for a great many lovely programs, such as Franklin, Little Bear, Rupert, Magic School Bus, Babar, etc. 

Yes, they took a few liberties (Pallum's gender change, for example), but in the bigger picture it was done with quality animation, good voice acting, and was really quite close to the books.  I mean, was the Cluny's Clowns episode really so awful? It wasn't in the book, but it was an interesting concept that could have very well been in the novel.  I found it as entertaining as anything else in Redwall. 

I just think people are expecting from the program something that it's simply not.  It isn't a show geared towards grown people.  It's for a younger crowd, which I think was a really wonderful way to get children interested in Redwall when they might not otherwise pick up such a lengthy book.  At the same time, it wasn't so kidded up and dumbed down that it lost the magic of the source material, and as such I still find it enjoyable as an adult.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Tiria Wildlough

Oh, come on. Can't you let us have our little rant?

Okay, I'm kidding. But this is really a topic to say what we don't like about the TV series. If no one has anything good to say about it, maybe that says something about the series. :P
I'm not a hipster.

MatthiasMan

I hated in the show how when there was a volley of arrows or something it was all lined up perfectly.

Lutra

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on August 08, 2012, 10:59:39 PM
If no one has anything good to say about it, maybe that says something about the series. :P

Touché  Ms. Wildlough.

Apparently Mr. Jacques thought it was appropriate for his stories otherwise he would not have approved them.  Given when they were made, the technology really wasn't there to do anything else than animation.  Computer animation has come far since 1999, so some of the complaints about animation could be fixed (the lined up volley of arrows for example).
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Tiria Wildlough

One more annoying thing was that in the first season when the Abbeybeasts are fighting Cluny's army, you could see arrows sticking in the walls. I know sandstone is softer than other stones, but it's not so soft that arrows can stick in it!
I'm not a hipster.

Lutra

^ Guess I'll have to look more closely next time, but yeah, that's absurd.  Either that, or there's lots of levees and cracks in the wall we don't know about.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra