News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Favorite Quotes

Started by Rainshadow, September 14, 2012, 11:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LT Sandpaw

"There's only two things that we must fear, fear itself, and clowns." -My little brother.

"To fight a war three things are necessary, money, money, and yet more money." -Unknown

"In the event we lose I will personally give all the blame too you and hold you responsible for the bet I just made with the other team, just a little motivation to win." My airsoft team leader.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Jetthebinturong

"If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don't fight, you can't win!"
~Eren Jaeger

"If you think reality is just living comfortably and following your own whims, can you seriously dare to call yourself a soldier?"
~Eren Jaeger

"I don't have time to worry if it's right or wrong, you can't hope for a horror story with a happy ending! "
~Eren Jaeger

"What is the point if those with the means and power do not fight?"
~Eren Jaeger

"You're either incompetent or you're spineless cowards. How pathetic. You can just sit here and suck on your fingers. Yeah, do that."
~Mikasa Ackerman

"Only victors are allowed to live... this world is merciless like that."
~Mikasa Ackerman

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Rainshadow

Excerpt from Dragon Age: Asunder.  Mentions murder, but nothing that wouldn't be said in a Redwall book
  "Was that why you killed them?  You thought they would tell the templars?"
  "No.  They didn't see me until I went to them.  But I knew they would."  Cole chewed his lip, an expression that Rhys had seen before whenever the man was trying to put a difficult thought into words.  "Have you ever been underwater?" he finally asked.
  "Of course."
  "There's a pool in one of the lower halls.  I go there sometimes."  He seemed lost in thought.  "You can float when you're underwater.  If you close your eyes, it's like you're floating in nothing.  You're surrounded by darkness, and all you can hear is yourself.  Everything else is far away."
  "I don't understand."
  Cole sighed in frustration.  "Sometimes I feel like I'm underwater, and I won't ever get out again.  I just keep sinking and sinking, and there's no bottom.  The darkness is going to swallow me up."  He stared at the floor, embarrassed.  "I'm falling into the cracks between what's real and what's not real, and if I don't stop myself I'll be lost there forever.  The only way I can stay is to..."
  Rhys backed away.  Just a step.  He didn't mean to do it, but Cole noticed nonetheless.  The grief that twisted on his face at that realization was difficult to watch.  Rhys found himself torn between fear and concern.  He liked Cole, and always had, but it was too difficult to reconcile the harmless young man he knew and a murderer who had stabbed six helpless mages in the heart.  "The only way you can stay," he said, his voice small and strained, "is to kill someone?"
  "I know they'll see me," Cole whispered.  "I don't know why, but I do.  So I go to them.  The moment they die, they look at me.  They know I'm the one that's killed them, and that makes me the most important thing in the world."  His face became wracked with grief again.  "I've never been that important to anyone."  The words came out as a hoarse croak.
  "And... being important makes you real?"
  Cole looked up at him with wide, uncomprehending eyes.  "Doesn't it do that for you?"
[close]

This book has a cruel way of making one feel sad for a murderer only seventy pages in.  Ugh.  I hate it, and yet I love it.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Jetthebinturong

Daughter of Smoke and Bone quotes

"Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love.
It did not end well."

"Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic."

"Have you ever asked yourself, do monsters make war, or does war make monsters?"

"Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic."

"It's not like there's a law against flying."
"Yes there is. The law of gravity."

"It is a condition of monsters that they do not perceive themselves as such. The dragon, you know, hunkered in the village devouring maidens, heard the townsfolk cry 'Monster!' and looked behind him."

"Once upon a time, an angel lay dying in the mist.
And a devil knelt over him and smiled."

"Hey! My body may be small, but my soul is large. It's why I wear platforms. So I can reach the top of my soul."

"I know it's not easy for you, living this life, but try to remember, always try to remember, you're not the only one with troubles."

"Once upon a time, a little girl was raised by monsters.
But angels burned the doorways to their world, and she was all alone."

"Like mould on books, grow myths on history."

"She had been innocent once, a little girl playing with feathers on the floor of a devil's lair. She wasn't innocent now, but she didn't know what to do about it. This was her life: magic and shame and secrets and teeth and a deep, nagging hollow at the center of herself where something was most certainly missing."

"So violent. You want to mug and tase everybody these days."
"I do," Zuzana agreed. "I swear I hate more poeple every day. Everyone annoys me. If I'm like this now, what am I going to be like when I'm old?"
"You'll be the mean old biddy who fires a BB gun at kids from her balcony."
"Nah. BBs just rile 'em up. More like a crossbow. Or a bazooka."

"Yearning for love made her feel like a cat that was always twining around ankles, meowing Pet me, pet me, look at me, love me. Better to be the cat gazing coolly down from a high wall, its expression inscrutable. The cat that shunned petting, that needed no one. Why couldn't she be that cat?"

"Have you ever asked yourself, do monsters make war, or does war make monsters? I've seen things, angel. There are guerrilla armies that make little boys kill thier own families. Such acts rip out the soul and make space for beasts to grow inside. Armies need beasts, don't they? Pet beasts, to do their terrible work! And the worst part is, it's almost impossible to retrieve a soul that has been ripped away. Almost." He gave Akiva a keen look."But it can be done, if ever... if ever you decide to go looking for yours."

"I don't know your customs, but here, if you don't want to frighten someone, you don't go looming over their sleeping body with knives."

"I've always imagined that one day the path of your life would unroll at your feet and carry you away from us. As it should, as it must. But I am glad that day is not today."

"She knocked and waited, because when the door was opened from within, it had the potential to lead someplace quite different."

"It wasn't like in the storybooks. No witches lurked at crossroads disguised as crones, waiting to reward travelers who shared their bread. Genies didn't burst from lamps, and talking fish didn't bargain for their lives. In all the world, there was only one place humans could get wishes: Brimstone's shop. And there was only one currency he accepted. It wasn't gold, or riddles, or kindness, or any other fairy-tale nonsense, and no, it wasn't souls, either. It was weirder than any of that. It was teeth."

"Once upon a time, before chimaera and seraphim, there was the sun and the moons. The sun was betrothed to Nitid, the bright sister, but it was demure Ellai, always hiding behind her bold sister, who stirred his lust. He contrived upon her bathing in the sea and he took her. She struggled, but he was the sun, and he thought he should have what he wanted. Ellai stabbed him and escaped, and the blood of the sun flew like sparks to earth, where it became seraphim- misbegotten children of fire. And like their father, they believed it their due to want, and take, and have.

As for Ellai, she told her sister what had passed, and Nitid wept, and her tears fell to earth and became chimeara, children of regret.

When the sun came again to the sisters, neither would have him. Nitid put Ellai behind her and protected her, though the sun, still bleeding sparks, knew Ellai was not as defenseless as she seemed. He plead with Nitid to forgive him but she refused, and to this day he follows the sisters across the sky, wanting and wanting and never having, and that will be his punishment, forever."

"Beauty,' Brimstone had scoffed once. 'Humans are fools for it. As helpless as moths who hurl themselves at fire."

"That's your evidence? Flimsy. Maybe he secretly fights crime and he's texting infuriating riddles to his nemesis," suggested Karou.
"Yes, I'm sure that's it. Thank you."

[close]
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Skyblade

Two other quotes I like,

"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." - Nora Roberts

"We forgive mistakes - that's what makes us the family we are." - Toklo (Seekers book series)

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Eulaliaaa!

"Look around you, absorb and remember. Use what you know well and adapt it to your work, and above all: Paint the picture with words." -Brian Jacques
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Maudie

Quote from: Michael Vey: Prisoner of Cell 25"Mr. Vey, you cannot be stuffed into a locker without your consent." Dallstrom said, which may be the dumbest thing ever said in a school. "You should have resisted." That's like blaming someone who was struck by lightning for getting in the way.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Hickory

"Handsome is as handsome does, wot!"
-Major Blanedale

"May the odds be ever in your favor!"
-Effie Trinket
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Mhera

"I often lose motivation, but it's something I accept as normal." -Bill Rodgers

"I learned, one, that you shouldn't ever quit. And I learned, two, you'll never be able to explain it to anybody." -Jim Ryun

Rainshadow

Dragon Age: Inquisition party banter (Cole)
Cole:  How do you get the hair on your face?
Blackwall:  Look, ask Varric.  He seems to have adopted you.
Cole:  He doesn't have hair on his face.  Is it a mask?
Blackwall:  No it's a beard.  Look, if you were any other lad your age I'd tell that one day you'll probably grow one too, except I don't know if spirits that become boys get beards.
Cole:  I could try.
Blackwall:  Right.  You go do that then.  Good luck.  Have fun.

Blackwall:  Hey, Cole.  Say something interesting.
Cole:  "Something interesting"?
Blackwall:  Yes, I deserved that one.

Cole:  Do you ever take off your armor and talk to it?
Cassandra:  No.
Cole:  It might say something nice.

Cassandra:  Cole, I found a locket on my pillow earlier...
Cole:  It was Anthony's.
Cassandra:  It was my grandmother's, actually, but it had Anthony's portrait inside.  I thought I'd lost it.
Cole:  You did lose it.  I had to fight a rat for it.
Cassandra:  Oh?  Thank you.
Cole:  He wasn't a very big rat.

Dorian:  Did you enjoy the Winter Palace, Cole?
Cole:  There were so many wonderful hats!
Dorian:  Did you try dancing?  Or did you skulk around invisibly?
Cole:  Dancing is hard.  You have to listen with your feet as well as your heart.
Dorian:  And not poke around in the heads of the other dancers.
Cole:  There's a lot to do all at once.

Dorian:  Cole, you should be careful dancing around with those daggers when I'm throwing fire.
Cole:  It won't hurt me.  It's friendly fire.
Dorian:  That doesn't always mean what you think it means.

Cole:  Dorian, am I handsome?
Dorian:  Are you what?
Cole:  You say you're handsome all the time.  Am I?  I can't tell.
Dorian:  You're all right.  Might want to rethink the hats.
Cole:  But I like my hats.

Iron Bull:  So Cole, you're a spirit...demon...thing?
Cole:  Yes.  And you're The Iron Bull, afraid of demons.
Iron Bull:  Not fond of 'em, no.  But you and I are fine as long as you don't do any weird bad stuff.
Cole:  Lying awake, sheets soaked in sweat, afraid to call the Tamassrans.  Shadows make shapes in the dark.  If it gets in my head, how do I cut it out?  Itching, shaking, tears slide cold down my cheeks.  "Tama, I'm scared."
Iron Bull:  Yeah, weird bad stuff like that?  Pretty much what I meant.

Cole:  The Iron Bull, in one fight, you let someone hit you so they wouldn't hit me.
Iron Bull:  Yes?
Cole:  But you hate demons.
Iron Bull:  Listen, Cole.  You might be a weird, squirrelly kid, but you're my weird, squirrelly kid.
Cole:  Oh.  Thank you.
Iron Bull:  Just don't make it weird.  No full hugs.  Maybe a one-armed slap on the back... at most.
Cole:  Alright.

Cole:  Sera.  My tongue wants to whistle on the start.  Sera.  But it has to stay still or the r is a d.  Sera.  Seda.  Seda.  De da de da.  If you try, you can say it without moving your mouth, see?  Serrra.  Say it enough and it stops being a word.  Sera, Sera, Sera, Sera, Sera, Sera, Serraa.
Sera:  Leave me alone.

Cole:  You like to dance, but can't.  You hate to sing, but can.  You should not paint.  It would be very bad if you did.
Sera:  Shut it up!

Cole:  They were staring at me.
Varric:  Who's "they," Kid?
Cole:  In Skyhold.  The servants in the courtyard.  They were looking at me and whispering.
Varric:  It's the hat.  Kind of hard to miss.  Don't worry about it.
Cole:  What's wrong with my hat?
Varric:  That's going to take a while.  I'll explain "clothes" when we get back.

Cole:  Should I change my hat?
Varric:  Nah, if they're busy staring at your hat, they're ignoring all your other flaws.
Cole:  A silk shirt with three buttons left undone.
Varric:  Exactly!  If you can't be flawless--and no one can--be flashy.  Nobody will know the difference.

Varric:  How are you holding up, Kid?  You've been quiet for a while.
Cole:  My shoelaces keep coming untied.
Varric:  You're doing fine.
Cole:  Can you talk to them?  They don't listen to me.
Varric:  Maybe not so fine...  Don't talk to them, Kid.  Just tie them in knots.

Cole:  Do they ever stop talking to you?
Varric:  Nouns, Kid.  Does who ever stop talking to me?
Cole:  The people in your head.  They aren't real, but they have voices and thoughts and sometimes you see through their eyes.
Varric:  If they stopped I wouldn't have to write so much.

Cole:  I think I have it.  Let me try again.
Varric:  Alright, Kid, let's see what you've got.
Cole:  Knock, knock.
Varric:  Who's there?
Cole:  Cole.
Varric:  Cole who?
Cole:  It's me, Cole.  That is my name.
Varric:  No, no.  You're still not getting it.  Sorry, Kid.

Varric:  Okay, I'll bite.  Who's there?
Cole:  The Inquisition.
Varric:  The Inquisition who?
Cole:  That's who we are, Varric.
Varric:  Er... yeah.  That's not working either.  You didn't get that one from Sera, did you?

Varric:  Okay, try it again, you'll get it.
Varric:  Who's there?
Cole:  Me.
Varric:  (Sighs.)  Me who?
Cole:  Me, and I'm telling a knock knock joke.
Varric: Uh... that was... closer keep trying.

Cole:  Grass doesn't mind anything.  People walk on it, horses eat it, it's always content.
Vivienne:  It's probably thankful it doesn't have ears, and can't listen to you.

Cole:  Wind is always going someplace.  What happens when it gets there?
Vivienne:  Apparently, it dons a hat and prattles endlessly.
[close]
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Unimaginative

"I have a shrine to his beard and the Flying Spaghetti Monster in my room."-Me, about my engineering teacher and his sentient beard.
"Once built a steamboat in a meadow
Cos I'd forgotten how to sail" - The Gardener , The Tallest Man on Earth

Eulaliaaa!

"Those aren't mountains..." -Interstellar
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Rusvul

Rain, you're an inquisitor, no? Are you Spanish? Do people ever expect you?

Rainshadow

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on January 31, 2015, 06:31:08 AM
Rain, you're an inquisitor, no? Are you Spanish? Do people ever expect you?

"Nobody expects the Orlesian Inquisition!"

~ Kelgrid

(I've been waiting for forever to use this.  Thank you, Kelgrid, for creating this awesome picture!  ;D)

Søren

My cousin Benny got hit by a bus one day, real bad. Granted, he did just knock off a newsstand, but it was still sudden.
-Angie, Agent Carter

I'm retired from the forum