Is Orlando counted as a Badger Lord?

Started by Alessandro Reinares, July 06, 2011, 09:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwallfan7

"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Dannflower Reguba

He never ruled at Salamandastron, He was lord of the west, then Redwall's resident male badger.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

MatthiasMan

But didn't it say at the end of a book that he traveled to Salamandastron?

Dannflower Reguba

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Skipper

Quote from: MatthiasMan on May 02, 2012, 01:22:26 AM
But didn't it say at the end of a book that he traveled to Salamandastron?
I belive it did say that but i'm not certain

Flandor

According to Tim Churchmouse's recording at the end of Mattimeo, Orlando remained at Redwall.  It says he was a firm friend of Constance and his battle axe hangs in the Abbey.  He remained Lord of the Western plain and only had to look over the Abbey threshold to survey his land.  I'm not sure whether anything to the contrary was said in Pearls of Lutra but as of Mattimeo those are the facts.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Flandor on May 02, 2012, 07:53:04 AM
According to Tim Churchmouse's recording at the end of Mattimeo, Orlando remained at Redwall.  It says he was a firm friend of Constance and his battle axe hangs in the Abbey.  He remained Lord of the Western plain and only had to look over the Abbey threshold to survey his land.  I'm not sure whether anything to the contrary was said in Pearls of Lutra but as of Mattimeo those are the facts.
Yes! That's what it was! I remember that part!

Osu

QuoteOrlando is Constance's firm friend and they are seldom apart. His axe hangs in Great Hall. As Lord of the Western Plains he only has to stand on the west battlements to survey his lands.

QuoteThey deserve a little rest and peace after bringing us up, though Matthias still joins Basil and Orlando to train the defenders.

Copy-pasted directly from the epilogue of Mattimeo; these are the last two times Orlando is mentioned. It seems he is indeed a badger lord, but not of Salamandastron. However! The following quote is from chapter three of Pearls of Lutra and solves our mystery once and for all:

QuoteOrlando the Axe, our great badger Lord, roamed off long ago, as male badgers will, to end his seasons at Salamandastron, mountain stronghold of great badger warriors. I do not know if he still lives. Auma, his daughter, is now the Abbey Mother; badgers are indeed noble creatures, with a lifespan which nobeast can equal.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Dannflower Reguba

It was just to end his years at, never to rule over.

MatthiasMan

But even if he made it, he is still a badger lord there. It doesn't matter if he was there for season. He could have been there for a week ruling. He still becomes a badger lord then. Plus, it says the recorder doesn't know if he survived, and that means he either could couldn't have made it. Mr. Jacques sure is good at giving his readers ambiguity.

AbbotAlf0805

That is big mistake on Slagar's part. Never take a badger lord away from his daughter..
I will lead Redwall Abbey to a golden age of peace through the power of Jesus Christ.

Redwallfan7

Quote from: AbbotAlf0805 on July 04, 2012, 09:24:34 PM
That is big mistake on Slagar's part. Never take a badger lord away from his daughter..
true, very true.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Tam and Martin

When he was in the book Mattimeo he was not a badger lord but in Pearls of Lutra it said he went away to Salamandastron and became a badger lord.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.