News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Homeschoolers?

Started by Gonff, July 07, 2011, 01:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do/Have you homeschooled?

I have forever!
never
I did, then school, then homeschooled
School, Homeschool,School
School, then Homeschooled from then on
Homeschooled, then school from then on

Verdauga

My school year is about to end this week, so that's something...
(To keep the moderators off our backs, let's not post less than two lines,)
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

shisteer of nothing much

That's cool. I've always grown up with the concept of never stopping homeschooling because, even when we are having a break from paperwork, we still learn. Homeshooling has always been a way of living, rather than just a way of getting educated.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Verdauga

...That, frankly, is an inspiring thing to think of it as. So, I suppose I should say 'My formal homeschool year is ending'.

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Grond

I don't know if this is wholly on topic or not, but it is one thing that I have often wondered about homeschooling. How do you get your credentials recognized? For example if you where homeschooled all your life how do you get a high school diploma or how do you apply to community college/college/university? Is it viewed as an equivalent to having gone through high school or not?? 

Tungro

Quote from: Grond on October 01, 2019, 05:45:02 PM
How do you get your credentials recognized? For example if you where homeschooled all your life how do you get a high school diploma or how do you apply to community college/college/university? Is it viewed as an equivalent to having gone through high school or not?? 
So I reserve the right to be wrong, but this is how I have figured it works (in FL anyway)

How do you get your credentials recognized?
Your parents have to take a special test to prove that they are capable of teaching you all you need to know. At the end of each grade term, you have to take state standardized tests to prove you are actually learning and not lazing around all day.

how do you get a high school diploma
When you graduate you take one final state test to prove you are qualified, then they send you one. (not positive about this one, but we have always gotten official ones)

how do you apply to community college/college/university?
Same as anyone else I think. All you need is a qualifying GPA, SAT/ACT test scores and a few other things. Usually being a homeschooler carries some extra weight, most exceed the state average in almost all academic areas.

Is it viewed as an equivalent to having gone through high school or not?? 
Not sure I get your question, but homeschooling in highschool has the same weight (if not more) as regular school.

Grond

Awright that makes sense. So they use standardized tests at the end of each term to track your progress and to create an official transcript of sorts...

Tungro

Verdauga

For the most part, I agree with Tungro. But I should add, Abeka is an actual school, and its homeschool program is fully accredited.
On that note, my parents didn't have to take any tests.

shisteer of nothing much

Yeah, ACE is the same. Apparently, it's actually easier to get into university if you've done ACE because it has such a good reputation. (this might only be in New Zealand, I'm not sure)

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Russa Nodrey

I've used ACE too. I totally understand what you're saying about the little things that are annoying. What bugged me most was the weird writing and Becky's hair, though. ;D
Freddy

Verdauga

*Fells sorry for Becky without even having known her.*
I would ask but meh...

shisteer of nothing much

Don't feel sorry for Becky. It was her own fault that her hair is terrible.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Jukka the Sling

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Verdauga

Viewing that, and looking at your profile picture, is absolutely hilarious.
But after looking at that, I think her hair might be the least of her worries.

shisteer of nothing much

True. One of the annoying things is that bunches never sit like that. If they did, the person would have a really bad headache.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!