Verdauga Greeneyes, Lord of Kotir

Started by James Gryphon, July 10, 2011, 07:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

Just like I have with Argulor, I've had a fondness for this great wildcat ruler for quite some time, and figured that now is as good a time as any to make a topic about him.

While Ungatt Trunn may have derided his younger brother as a "wanderer", the fact is that Verdauga's career is much more successful on the whole. All Trunn ever had was an inept blue-furred horde that lost to a handful of hares and squirrels... whereas the Thousand Eye Army never knew defeat (that we hear of) under Verdauga, ruled over Mossflower for very many seasons, and resided comfortably and safely in Kotir during their lord's reign.

Verdauga, while possessing the competence and ruthlessness to be a great military commander, is also fair and served as an effective ruler over Mossflower, negotiating a just judgement over Martin, and keeping his realm relatively safe and secure during his time in power. It's entirely possible it would have continued to be so for some time, had Tsarmina not risen to succeed him. It almost makes me wonder what Redwall history would have looked like if Tsarmina never tried to poison her father (or if he grew wise to her plan).

Verdauga is also extremely tough (something which seems to run in most of his family). Even in old age, it took an extraordinary amount of poison to bring him down. Fortunata herself was shocked by his endurance and said that the massive doses she'd been giving him would have been enough to bring the entire barracks down, yet Lord Greeneyes was still alive (if not particularly well), in his right mind, and able to issue orders and preside over his fortress. That takes some serious stamina.

If you have anything to say about this erstwhile archvillain, this topic's the place; feel free to have at it.
« Subject to editing »

Tiria Wildlough

Verdauga was certainly not as cruel as Tsarmina. The book Mossflower just would not have happened if he had lived.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Captain Tammo

I guess you could even venture to say Redwall itself would never have been founded
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Coobreedan

I've not read all of Mossflower but I know Verdauga is a good character. He would actually of made a good ruler if he lived. He was bad in means of capturing everone who enters his territory.
He's also like those people in cartoons who have an angel on one of their shoulders and a devil on the other. Gingivere always has the right opinion, yet Tsarmina is always "KILL HIM! LEAVE HIM IN JAIL TO ROT!". Too bad she became ruler.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Log-a-Log

Ungatt Trunn did have to fight more warlike beasts than Verdauga though and is the only one to have captured Salamandastron
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Lutra

Had Verdauga survived longer, I think you wouldn't have Redwall.  The wildcat was tough, but one of reason, within reason.  :P  If he was in better spirits, he probably would have seen through that Tsarmina somehow did not gain the throne.  He always said it was Gingivere's to have and wanted his son to succeed him.  Interesting thought James. :)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Coobreedan

Quote from: Captain Tammo on July 10, 2011, 06:24:15 PM
I guess you could even venture to say Redwall itself would never have been founded

I guess you are sorta right. If he hadn't died Martin never would of become famous.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Luke_the_Warrior

I think that Verdauga Greeneyes was a great leader, though not as scary as Ungatt Trunn. Except for his brutal army and high taxes, I don't see much wrong with him.
"A coward dies a thousand times, but a warrior dies only once."

White One6193

Has anybody thought what growing in the same house with Ungatt Trunn would be like? No wonder old Greeneyes founded his own kingdom. Though i daresay Verdauga was pretty nasty and tough in his earlier years. He did slay Sunflash's father single-pawed y'know.
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Rizzan

I LOVE Verdagua he is my favourite villain ever! Though I use 'villain' lightly cause he wasn't really an evil character but more of a gray area type imho.

Coobreedan

Log-a-Log

Although Verdauga wasn't as bad as Tsarmina, he still demanded a high tax and forced most of the woodlanders into poverty
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Redwall Musician

..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Log-a-Log

I was just thinking about the Gingivere line, and it would be scary for Gingivere to have Ungatt Trunn as an uncle

Plugg Firetail

QuoteHe was bad in means of capturing everone who enters his territory

No,people were aloud to enter his territory.Just without a weapon.