News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

What if Romsca had lived?

Started by Romsca, January 07, 2013, 10:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romsca

Thanks, danflorrguba! There's nothing that really says she actually died (it just mentions a "dead corsair") so I like to think that she lived. There were probably islands everywhere, so it doesn't matter where they were on their voyage

Tiria Wildlough

Dann, calm down. Other people may have been ramming your creativity down your throat, but I tried not to. I wish you wouldn't overreact just because someone doesn't agree with you.
@Romsca: She may have survived if she'd had proper medical treatment. That would make a good fanfic! 8)
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Lutra

Dan, my post swings both ways.  I look at what we are given, and what could happen if she did survive....I'm not much for creativity but I can guess she would've been somewhere in Mossflower.  No reason to get all huffy and puffy if people do not think Romsca lived. 

On the topic, "IF" she had lived would probably make more sense in a fanfic as Tiria already mentioned.  Not many vermin live in Redwall, so cut some people some slack if they can't come up with an IF to the question.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Dannflower Reguba

Why does everyone misinterpret what I say/type? I'm not overreacting, I'm coming to someones defense as they are having some trouble. I don't want the same thing to happen to Romsca that happened to me when I tried giving a diffrent option.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Swiftstream

If she survived she would have the gratitude of the Abbot Durral, it is posable she may have lived in mossflower somewhere as an ally-type-person. Under the Abbots and therefore Redwall Abbeys protection.

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

321tumbler

Quote from: Swiftstream on January 09, 2013, 07:37:33 PM
If she survived she would have the gratitude of the Abbot Durral, it is posable she may have lived in mossflower somewhere as an ally-type-person. Under the Abbots and therefore Redwall Abbeys protection.
That's likely and she also might have (if she healed enough) become a "vermin changer" where she joined vermin gangs as evil, but helped some better ones escape and have a change of heart. (I now that's a crazy idea, but I like it.)

Redwaller

I'll refrain from posting in these topics, to avoid any quarrel.

Romsca

Whatever Redwaller I like Swiftstream and 321tumbler's ideas

321tumbler

Thanks, but I also think that people shouldn't fight so much about something that didn't really happened. (I mean it would be great if it was real, but it isn't.) 

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: 321tumbler on January 18, 2013, 01:45:00 AM
Thanks, but I also think that people shouldn't fight so much about something that didn't really happened. (I mean it would be great if it was real, but it isn't.) 

That point is arguable on most cases. There are ways to pull of miracles in almost any situation, this isn't as easy as some, but it is still explainable.

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

WoodenSpoon

I would like to say that Brian Jaques is not known for his ambiguity. He usually says things like they are. Still, does it really matter? This thread is called "What if Romsca had lived?"  What happened in the book seems a bit irrelevant, whether you accept she died or find ways around it. If I am wrong, please, say so. I don't want to seem like a know-it-all...

Oh boy! I do love analyzing how a story would change because of one character, but I think I got a little long-winded... Sorry about that. Hey, just be glad I didn't start bringing up  different degrees of injuries. That would've taken all night.

Assuming she was severely, but not fatally, injured, the question becomes what would Abbot Durral do. Obviously, he would try and treat her. However, what would he treat her with? It's not like the infirmary was handy... I think a searat mentioned in Salmandastron that corsairs use seawater for treating wounds. If Romsca could give instructions, perhaps she would recommend that. Then, he'd probably use some sailcloth or something as bandages.

One thing the book mentions is that Durral was weak from lack of food. Was there nothing in the larders, or was simply because he couldn't find the food? If it was the former, Romsca's future looks grim. She would need to keep up her strength. If it was the latter, Durral would be better off. Romsca could tell him where the food was. The Abbot also wouldn't suffer from loneliness, as he did in the book. I think he'd probably be in his right mind when they reached Sampetra.

I think Romsca would choose to go to Sampetra rather then back to Mossflower. She did have friends there, and she would probably try to get their help before attempting to take the Abbot home. After all, a chewed up ferret and an old land lubber of a mouse aren't exactly a top notch crew, are they?

So, when they get back to the island, I think Romsca would anchor the ship out of sight. She wouldn't swagger up to Ublaz and announce that she didn't get his pearls, oh, and his monitors are dead. By the by, don't hurt the mouse, he's a friend. She's smarter then that. Perhaps she would send Durral ashore to scout the land... He could find some old friend of hers, and bring them to the ship.

Umm... that's as far as my imagination is going right now. I think I might need to reread the last part of Pearls of Lutra.

Comments? Questions? Criticisms? A piece of pumpkin pie? I am accepting all four! Particularly that last one...

MarielGullwhacker

I think it would've been really great if Romsca had lived...imagine all the possibilities! I found myself appreciating her character more and more as I read Pearls of Lutra. And what a tender conversation there with Abbot Durrel on the deck; wow. I think she would've eventually become an amazing allie to the Redwallers. :)

Dannflower Reguba

First off, welcome the both of you to our Forum!  :) Second off, thanks for staying ON topic, that is greatly appreciated, third off..... It's AllY, not AllIE.... Sorry, total Grammar and spelling Nazi here.  ::)

321tumbler

I think you misundrstood me I meant that the world of Redwall wasn't real. Sorry if you misunderstood me.