News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Sports you play

Started by Mariel, July 20, 2013, 05:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lily

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on July 21, 2013, 06:33:06 AM
Quote from: Rainshadow on July 21, 2013, 05:41:46 AM
Just curious, what's kendo?

It's a bit like a party pinata ... only no confectionary comes out of the things you hit with the stick.  :)
That gives me a good idea for a game. ;)

Rain, kendo is a Japanese martial art based on sword fighting. It's full-contact, so we obviously don't use real swords; we use bamboo swords instead. It's hard work but it can be a lot of fun.

Rainshadow

Quote from: Lily on July 21, 2013, 07:04:08 AM

It's a bit like a party pinata ... only no confectionary comes out of the things you hit with the stick.  :)

Rain, kendo is a Japanese martial art based on sword fighting. It's full-contact, so we obviously don't use real swords; we use bamboo swords instead. It's hard work but it can be a lot of fun.

Sounds painful, yet fun!  (Haha, I did something sorta like that when I was younger, only it was me and some friends hitting each other with sticks as we tried to do a sort of Inheritance Cycle roleplay.  Thing.)
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Lily on July 21, 2013, 07:04:08 AM

That sounds alot like fencing.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

MeadowR

Never been sporty! Some look not all bad to play but I'm afraid a few reasons meant I was awful at physical games. (P.E. and Games at school were hell on Earth. :()

Still, now I'd feel a bit more confident to try some sportier things. I need more activity to lose some weight, anyway!

Recently I tried my very first archery, and was very pleased when I hit the main flag target on the pretend top of a castle without even particularly aiming for it! Archery felt so free; I'd love to try it some more. :D
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

The Shade

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on July 21, 2013, 01:11:23 AM
Poo! Yuck! Sports! *spits on ground*

Er, whats wrong with being fit and healthy??
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

rachel25

I ride and play with my little brothers which should be a Olympic sport its so tiring  :P  :-[  :-X 

Maudie

Quote from: rachel25 on July 25, 2013, 05:21:05 PM
I ride and play with my little brothers which should be a Olympic sport its so tiring  :P  :-[  :-X 

Yeah, younger siblings have even more energy than us twelve-year-olds.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Rainshadow

Quote from: Mask on July 25, 2013, 05:27:07 PM

Or older.  Twelve-year-olds have more energy than me!  Trust me, I know one.  ;)
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

MeadowR

Quote from: The Shade on July 25, 2013, 04:47:11 PM

You can be those without doing sport. ;) If you go to the gym using the machines there I wouldn't count that as sport, for example.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Mask on July 25, 2013, 05:27:07 PM

I know what you mean. I have five younger siblings wh o are FULL of energy!

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: The Shade on July 25, 2013, 04:47:11 PM

It wears your body out quicker.  ;)

In fact, there have been studies that "prove" too much exercise is bad for you. Marathon and triathlon participants are apparently more prone to heart and joint problems later in life, for example.

As I said, I personally hate sport - playing it , watching it, having it distribute normal programming schedules, etc. For those who do like sport, that's great for them, but I don't see why it has to be forced on everyone - like anything else, some people simply don't like it.

New Zeland is supposedly a sports-mad country and they often bump regular shows for some sports event or other ... if it was actually that popular, then a special sports channel would make tons of money, and yet nobody actually provides one (at least not a free-to-air one, there are various Sky TV sports channels for subscribers).

There's apparently a new system planned for schools in New Zealand to force every child to take part in an out-of-school sport to combat the supposed "obesity epidemic".  ::)

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on July 25, 2013, 10:25:45 PM
There's apparently a new system planned for schools in New Zealand to force every child to take part in an out-of-school sport to combat the supposed "obesity epidemic".  ::)

Vhich zeemz tae appear more in America zen in anyvhere elze.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

MeadowR

More and more focus on sports again in England, too. Sport is often given priority over other television programmes... Also the whole 'We need to uphold the Olympics legacy and ensure children are doing more sport at school', blah blah. I'm all for keeping healthy, but I would NOT have been happy if I were still at school and more horrible Games lessons were forced upon me. As Bumble says, not everyone likes it and those who struggle it can be very cruel where team games are involved. I say allow more for the option of doing some jogging or going on some exercise machines (if the school has them) or some other kind of activity that isn't necessarily a sport where a few pupils have to work together. Later on in secondary school life we got a bit more choice in the matter and I would be glad to opt for the exercise machines over team games.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Rusvul

I like the idea of sports a lot. But the trouble is finding a fun, active, non-miserable, sport for someone who can't run, catch, or throw very well. Also, for some reason, stretching is absolute agony for me.
Coach type person: "Do you feel that nice stretching on x joint?"
Me: "I feel awful pain, if that's what you mean. My arm doesn't bend that way."

Maudie

@MeadowRabbit: I would rather play sports than exercise on a stupid exercise machine. I hate jogging, running stairs, or anything that has no fun or game plan in it. I don't like things that seem like they are designed to make me healthy. I'd prefer something that is fun and makes me sweat. That's why I like tag nd basketball and frisbee and riding bikes. I didn't mean any offense by that. People who don't like sports would probably prefer exercise machines. But I don't. ;)
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3