Announcements Response Topic

Started by Matthias720, November 11, 2013, 05:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

Congrats, Banya!  I actually guessed that you'd be the Season Namer.  You're definitely worthy of it. :)
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Delthion

Congratulations Wylder! A very nice name!

I was wondering, based on the announcement wording, do you just select randomly based on who you think can come up with a name or is it a sort of tournament via PM? Not sure how to make that not sounds bitter...but I'm just curious! :)
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Skarzs

Personally I have no idea. I think the staff are just like "Who would make a good season namer?" and then start naming off names until they get to someone they agree on.

Congratulations, Wylder!
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

James Gryphon

Since I've been back, what typically happens is that one of the more active staff members posts up a list of some of the candidates they think had the most positive impact on the forum over the past three months, and the other staff vote their preference, from those recommendations. Quality and quantity of contributions, and lack of controversial interactions with other members are both considered, with preference given to the latter.

Finally, it is worth noting that staff members' memories aren't perfect, and the earlier somebody's accomplishments are, the more easily they'll be forgotten. If somebody is a difference-maker in, say, June, but is less active in July and August, I suspect they're less likely to get picked for Autumn Season Namer than somebody who was less active the first two months, and heated up in August. We don't intentionally try to weight it that way, but all the same, your odds of being picked are probably better if you peak right before Season Nameday.
« Subject to editing »

Skyblade

I bet it is difficult to choose, considering how many qualified forum members there are!

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Jukka the Sling

Congratulations, Wylder!  You totally deserve it!  Awesome name, too! :)
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Lady Amber

An awesome name from a deserving member! Congrats, Wylder! :)

Delthion

Quote from: James Gryphon on September 03, 2015, 04:14:05 PM
Since I've been back, what typically happens is that one of the more active staff members posts up a list of some of the candidates they think had the most positive impact on the forum over the past three months, and the other staff vote their preference, from those recommendations. Quality and quantity of contributions, and lack of controversial interactions with other members are both considered, with preference given to the latter.

Finally, it is worth noting that staff members' memories aren't perfect, and the earlier somebody's accomplishments are, the more easily they'll be forgotten. If somebody is a difference-maker in, say, June, but is less active in July and August, I suspect they're less likely to get picked for Autumn Season Namer than somebody who was less active the first two months, and heated up in August. We don't intentionally try to weight it that way, but all the same, your odds of being picked are probably better if you peak right before Season Nameday.

One question, have I ever been in a poll? ;D ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Wylder Treejumper

Thanks, everyone! I'm glad I was able to come up with a good name for you all.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Delthion

Yes, a better name than most I've seen! ;D ;D

Hickory

So I take it that the last two ranks are to be told once someone reaches them?
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Matthias720

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on October 04, 2015, 05:48:18 PM
So I take it that the last two ranks are to be told once someone reaches them?
That would be telling. ;)

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Skyblade

Nice to have these updated ~

Congrats, Rain and Leatho!

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Jukka the Sling