News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Most Glutinous Hare

Started by GeminyaTome, July 30, 2011, 04:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeminyaTome

So, I just finished reading Triss and I think that Sacarum is the most glutinous hare I have ever read about! I always knew that hares were gluttons, but being punished in almost every chapter he was in might be a bit too far! HEHE
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Psalm 90:2,4

Tiria Wildlough

I knowwww. He made me so mad! I definitely agree that Scarum is the worst of them all.  :D
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Folgrimeo

Scarum may be the most glutinous, but I also found him to be one of my favorites for being such an unusual hare. The others can't really put up with him, he's disgraceful... which somehow made him more interesting and likable than the others.

There was one point I remembered fondly. He goes and scoffs all the food in a village. I was in shock and suddenly hated him more than anyone else. The others are talking about whether to leave him behind. I considered this. I was torn, because on one hand what he did was unforgivable and I knew he probably wouldn't change his ways, on the other he was very entertaining. I thought about this for 15 minutes, agonizing over it, deciding what I wanted to happen, and concluded I wanted him to stay with the team.
...and on a re-read all that drama flew out the window when I saw a wink was exchanged, indicating it was all planned and they had no intention of leaving him. Darn you Brian. Still, it was an effective scene that helped make Scarum memorable.

Osu

Folgrimeo, your post just made my morning there. :D

I'll go with the flow and nominate Scarum - a truly impressive appetite. Or lack of self control. Probably both. He is also one of my favorite hares, for the record. ;D

Not many candidates as far as getting punished for one's appetite, huh? Might just be the hour of the day, but I can't seem to come up with anybeast else.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Nightfire

Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Osu on July 30, 2011, 01:51:00 PM
Folgrimeo, your post just made my morning there. :D

I'll go with the flow and nominate Scarum - a truly impressive appetite. Or lack of self control. Probably both. He is also one of my favorite hares, for the record. ;D

Not many candidates as far as getting punished for one's appetite, huh? Might just be the hour of the day, but I can't seem to come up with anybeast else.

Aye, me neither.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Matthias720

Aye, Scarum is probably the worst glutton in the entire series, but he also had a lot to go through to learn his lesson about being greedy. Let's see: he got his teeth embedded in a wood seat, splinters in his mouth, almost left behind to serve seasons of servitude, relegated to a lettuse and water diet, and nearly decapitated by Princess Kurda.

Yeah, he pretty much brought it on himself. >.>

Folgrimeo

I had to put the book down for a moment since I was laughing so hard at Scarum's teeth getting stuck in the wood. I also have a tendency to imagine the book being performed as a play, so I had the other characters break character and go into laughing fits, while Scarum's getting more and more indignant. You see, he's entertaining.

Because each hare tends to blend into eachother after a while, I can't recall the specific hare who asked for everything at a Redwall feast, or the hare who kept complaining about being hungry while a team was marching. And although I can't remember the book, there was one great moment where a Redwall cook had to be coaxed into swinging across a chasm. He was told something like "just imagine there are 20 hungry hares, and run." The cook then swings across with gusto, yelling "Get your own dinnerrrrrr!!"

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Log-a-Log

Quote from: Folgrimeo on July 30, 2011, 07:45:14 PM
I had to put the book down for a moment since I was laughing so hard at Scarum's teeth getting stuck in the wood. I also have a tendency to imagine the book being performed as a play, so I had the other characters break character and go into laughing fits, while Scarum's getting more and more indignant. You see, he's entertaining.

Because each hare tends to blend into eachother after a while, I can't recall the specific hare who asked for everything at a Redwall feast, or the hare who kept complaining about being hungry while a team was marching. And although I can't remember the book, there was one great moment where a Redwall cook had to be coaxed into swinging across a chasm. He was told something like "just imagine there are 20 hungry hares, and run." The cook then swings across with gusto, yelling "Get your own dinnerrrrrr!!"
That was in the Long Patrol where Friar Butty has to swing across the toad and mudfish underground swamp. That's a funny part
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Osu

Quote from: Captain Tammo on July 30, 2011, 08:07:30 PM
Beau :)
And I do believe we have the first nomination for a hare other than Scarum! :D Do elaborate, please, or the poor chap might take over the thread! XD
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Osu on July 31, 2011, 05:17:27 AM
Quote from: Captain Tammo on July 30, 2011, 08:07:30 PM
Beau :)
And I do believe we have the first nomination for a hare other than Scarum! :D Do elaborate, please, or the poor chap might take over the thread! XD

Ok I'll keep it short:
He was a cook so obviously loved food, and loved it enough to steal some from the biggest ship of vermin on the seas, getting the Gorleech's crew in as much trouble along the way as possible. He even made up a monster named werragoola to protect his food stash on his island. If that's not gluttony, i don't know what is!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Skalrag of Marshank

I just finished reading Triss, and Scarum was pretty bad.
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Wot Wot!

Wow, I am definitely looking forward to Triss now...I haven't met Scarum yet... how does he compare with Boorab from Taggerung?
All you cowards of the land and flotsam of the sea
Who murder, pillage, loot whene'er  you please
There's a Long Patrol a waitin', we'll greet you cheerfully,
You'll hear us cry 'Eulalia' on the breeze.

Skalrag of Marshank

Hmm...they're both really bad, but, without giving too much away, if I had a Glutton-o-Meter, with 10 being the lowest and 1 being the highest, I would give Boorab a 2, and Scarum a 1. ;D
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy