The Horse

Started by Luke_the_Warrior, August 12, 2011, 08:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke_the_Warrior

What happened to the horse that appeared at the beginning of Redwall? Does anybody know, or is it all speculation?
"A coward dies a thousand times, but a warrior dies only once."

Taggerung_of_Redwall

The horse is never mentioned again after it leaves behind Cluny's horde, so yeah, it's all speculation.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Captain Tammo

I'm curious where it came from. Especially since it had reins
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Lutra

^ Never thought of where it came from, but yeah, the reins implied it has been used as a work animal.  None of the Redwall prequels mention horses either.  Could be another "solitary beaver" moment of Redwall....never heard from again and that's just the way it was.  :P
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Skalrag of Marshank

When Jacques wrote the first book, he wasn't planning on it becoming a series. He just put the horse in to give the rats some transportation. So, you're right, Lutra, the horse, the piglets, and the barnhouse are all just "solitary beaver" moments.
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Folgrimeo

Well it's a better introduction than Gandalf in "The Hobbit" who just appears out of nowhere one day.

Maybe it's that I've barely read any animal books in the grand scheme of things, but it might be interesting if small animals interacted with big animals more, given a big animal's theoretical ability to quickly intervene and take out bad guys. It happens a few times by virtue of Constance or some other badgermum. It happened in "Martin the Warrior" when the Warden swooped in to help. The book "Watership Down" had Kehaar the gull and a dog. It changes thing up a bit when one side has a powerhouse like that.

And any which way I think about it, I imagine if the scales were remotely realistic, Matthias seeing Cluny on top of a horse would have to be like craning your head to see the top of a tall tree. A horse might as well be a walking house. Which makes me question how Cluny got on top of the horse in the first place, but... anyway, yeah, convenient transportation.

Redwall Musician

I think he used a horse just to show how strong Cluny was. If Cluny could use the horse as a slave, he could easily kill and defeat other creatures.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Skalrag of Marshank

~ Larry Boy

Folgrimeo

Imagine how villain conversations at the watercooler would go.

Slagar: "I enslave Dibbuns and give them a whack with my mace if they fall outta line!"
Ublaz: "Well I once hypnotized one of my lackeys to jump out a window. You should have heard the splat!"
Gulo: "Pah, that's nothing! I EAT anyone I don't like!"
Cluny: "Have any of you fools ridden a horse?"
Slagar: "No."
Ublaz: "Er, no."
Gulo: "What's a horse?"
Cluny: "I see. Bow before your new master."

Lutra

Quote from: Folgrimeo on August 17, 2011, 07:19:35 AM

Slagar: "I enslave Dibbuns and give them a whack with my mace if they fall outta line!"
Ublaz: "Well I once hypnotized one of my lackeys to jump out a window. You should have heard the splat!"

I almost spit my coffee all over the computer because of this.  :D :D
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Skalrag of Marshank

~ Larry Boy

Taggerung_of_Redwall

That's the thing about a horse. The massive size difference would alienate their presence in Mossflower.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Redwall Musician

Quote from: Skalrag of Marshank on August 16, 2011, 05:50:26 PM
That makes sense.
Quote from: Folgrimeo on August 17, 2011, 07:19:35 AM

Wow! That was funny!
I can't believe I said something that actually made sense! Hurray! (I usually don't make that much sense)
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Skalrag of Marshank

I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about your comment:

Quote from: Redwall Musician on August 15, 2011, 03:40:24 PM
I think he used a horse just to show how strong Cluny was. If Cluny could use the horse as a slave, he could easily kill and defeat other creatures.
  ~ Larry Boy

daskar666

Some of the villains srsly need horses as monster "henchmen".
I'm thinking of doing a fanfic with that.