News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Redwall VS Warriors

Started by Iamthatis, May 07, 2014, 08:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iamthatis

I finished all the Redwall books and next week I start the Warriors book series. So I thought I would ask all of you which do you like better. Redwall or Warriors. Let me know thank you.
IAMTHATIS MY SWORD SHALL WEILD FOR ME
RIP BRIAN JACQUES

BlueRose

Redwall. The writing is better and the story arcs don't drag on and on and on and on.
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Bitterly jittery, and not very glittery.

Rusvul

Yeah. I'd say the same for the same reasons.

MeadowR

Perhaps unfairly, I've only read two of the Warrior books over virtually all of the Redwall read. However, that was about as much as I needed from them. I didn't think the writing style was very good, it was written in such a way that I can't quite explain, but it was rather dull. There wasn't anything particularly new within the stories, either. So a clan of cats, right... nothing too much different to other books seems to happen. In my opinion, the books are certainly for older children to young teenagers, whereas the Redwall novels hold a wider age appeal. So for me, Redwall is a winner!
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Rainshadow

I did enjoy the Warriors series, but after the first series, the story sort of got old.  Redwall, however, was the book series I grew up with, and I've read the books several times.  They'll never get old.  So, yeah, Redwall wins, although Warriors is still pretty good.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Dawnwing

I'm probably a bigger fan of Warriors, 'cause I actually discovered it years before Redwall and have grown up with the series.  Bigger nostalgia for me and all that.

As far as which is better-written, that goes, hands-down, to Redwall.  
Warriors starts with a fairly basic writing style early on; while the prose improves drastically as the series goes on, the plot suffers instead: it's poorly planned because, basically, they have to obey the publisher's orders to write more.  While the authors genuinely love writing Warriors, the reason the series was ever made was because HarperCollins told them "write us a YA cat book" (the Clans and world and plot were, however, created by Vicky Holmes), it was initially conceived as an opportunity for money, and it shows. There's a demand on the Erins to get books out on a strict schedule, so while they sketch out a storyline for a six-book arc, they practically make up the series as they go along (i.e. they were halfway through the third series when they decided to change a major plot point about one of the protagonists simply 'cause they couldn't come up with the ideas they needed to stick to the original plan, and this ended up dragging the plot of the 3rd series into a 4th.)  

I definitely agree with MeadowRabbit in that Redwall has a much bigger age appeal, while Warriors fans tend to fall into a strict age range apart from those like me who've been around since early on.  I don't think I'd enjoy it, at least not nearly as much, if I would have discovered the series now (at 21).

The Mask

I Love Warriors. It is simple and basically follows the same formula and I like that. Although many say that about Redwall...
Anyway, writing and story wise Redwall is better. But I still enjoy them both pretty equally.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

The Skarzs

I tried to read a Warriors book, being told I would love the series, and I couldn't get through the first chapter. So. . . Redwall wins for me.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Iamthatis

I just got the first three Warriors Series Box Sets today. Can't wait to start reading them.
IAMTHATIS MY SWORD SHALL WEILD FOR ME
RIP BRIAN JACQUES

BadgerLordFiredrake

Redwall for many reasons; some of which are already stated.

And then the huge Warriors fandom online :P
baby turtle forever

Faiyloe

Quote from: The Skarzs on May 09, 2014, 01:07:07 AM
I tried to read a Warriors book, being told I would love the series, and I couldn't get through the first chapter. So. . . Redwall wins for me.

Wow that's harsh. You are even worse than me I stopped after the... let me think 4th to 6th chapter... It wasn't bad just it was evident that it was written for a younger age range and after reading Redwall and Lord of The Rings my books standers are set kind of high.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

The Skarzs

Harsh or not, I didn't like it.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Faiyloe

You can't just give up on a book halfway threw the first chapter. A lot  of the books I have read don't get good till after  the first chapter and one didn't till after about three very long chapters (They were the most boring chapters of my life) But then it got really good and it was so worth it. I would advise roughing it out at least three chapters possibly more before dumping it.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

The Skarzs

I get the feeling you are beginning to be annoyed with me.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.