News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Most iconic character/weapon combo

Started by Søren, November 17, 2014, 05:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your opinion?

Martin/Martin's Sword (Complete)
11 (73.3%)
Martin/Broken Luke's Sword
2 (13.3%)
Matthias/Martin's Sword
3 (20%)
Mariel/Gullwacker
1 (6.7%)
Sunflash/Mace
5 (33.3%)
Russano/Hardwood Stick
4 (26.7%)
Ungatt Trunn/Trident
0 (0%)
Lady Amber/Bow-Arrow
1 (6.7%)
Rakkety Tam/Martin's Sword
3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Søren

Additional options are open to suggestions.

I'm retired from the forum

Izeroth

I would say Martin/Martin's sword, because everyone knows who Martin is. (He appears in almost every single book!)

James Gryphon

I initially voted for two options, but after further consideration, I narrowed it down to just Martin with his sword. Both of them are legendary in the Redwall world, and what's more is that the Sword is necessarily associated with Martin himself, simply by its name -- "The Sword of Martin". Countless other warriors have used it, but no matter what they accomplished with it, it's remembered as being one specific mouse's weapon. Also, Martin and his Sword are, with the sole exception of the Abbey itself, the biggest, most iconic things in the franchise -- either one or both of them appear in just about every book. This is far and away the number #1 most iconic combo in the series, and it's by so much that I feel voting for one of the other combinations diminishes just how big that gap is.

Matthias probably has the best connection to Martin's Sword after Martin himself, but even when he was using it it was never "Matthias's sword" (except when referred to by someone who wasn't acquainted with Martin) -- it was always Martin's sword, that Martin had given to Matthias. Abbot Mortimer attempted to give it a name, which if used certainly would have bound it more closely to Matthias and his feats, but (notwithstanding the fact that the name was kinda mediocre anyway) the association with Martin was so strong that it didn't stick, not even during Matthias' lifetime.
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

Of course I had to vote for Martin and his sword: How could one not? However, I also voted for Sunflash, because in the span of a few seasons, his name had become a well-known one: Sunflash the Mace! It's obvious to see that his weapon was something that was famous to him, and was well-known at the time.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LT Sandpaw

Probably Martins sword it's in every book.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Albrithr

I contend that, while the combination of Martin and his sword is indeed iconic and important to the series, the MOST iconic combination is that of Matthias and Martin's sword.  Though the sword never became known as "The Sword of Matthias the Warrior" as it had taken it's name for generations until it found its way into Martin's hands (err... paws), I have two reasons to say this.  The first is that, if the books are read in the published order, this is how the sword is introduced.  The first and third book depict Matthias' days as swordbearer, so in my mind, the two have always been inextricably linked in my mind.  The second reason I say this is that Matthias best exemplifies one of the predominant themes of the books- a young individual coming of age and saving those he loves from a great evil.  In fact, I would argue that he was the single best example of this, since he was the original. 
That was my reasoning, anyway. 

Delthion

Could you add Rakkety Tam/Martin's sword?
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Søren

I'm retired from the forum

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

SilentSam

;D~~~~Silent~~~~Sam~~~~Squirrel~~~ ;D
HEHE!

I AM SAM ;D
Cicha sam jest najlepszym redwall znaków!