Woodlanders that we wish had lived (SPOILER ALERT)

Started by Ashleg, July 08, 2015, 04:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

If she died from exhaustion that's pretty lackluster.

Vilu Deskar

She was killed by a vermin defending baby Russano. (I think, anyways)

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Vilu Deskar

Read Long Patrol 2 weeks ago, that's how I know. (amazing book btw)

Sanddunes

Quote from: Ashleg on October 08, 2018, 08:00:39 PM
Why would you say that? Badrang could just as easily have killed her, no matter when the story took place.
And Martin the Warrior does take place before Mossflower.

If Brian wrote that book before Mossflower, it doesn't mean anything about the survival of Rose. He could and probably would still have killed her off. I don't follow.

I never said he wouldn't have kill her off I said she would have had a higher chance of surviving.

Had he written Martin the Warrior before Mossflower it be one less reason to kill her off

I went back and reread the part where Martin and Gnoff were in a cell and it just seems like Martin's backstory changed.

Sanddunes

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 08, 2018, 10:53:52 PM
In my opinion, I don't think Rose would have lived if Brian had written Martin the Warrior before Mossflower. However, what I think is more likely is that Rose may not have even existed, and we would have seen a different story. If anything would have changed, it would be Martin's story that he tells in Mosslfower about his past.

Four things that could have happened
1. Rose still dies
2. Rose survives and goes with Martin(most likely Martin would have stayed)
3. Rose survives stays home and Martin leaves
4. Rose never existed

Grond

Quote from: Sanddunes on October 10, 2018, 09:59:55 AM
Four things that could have happened
1. Rose still dies
2. Rose survives and goes with Martin(most likely Martin would have stayed)
3. Rose survives stays home and Martin leaves
4. Rose never existed

To add to number 2- I guess its possible they would have stayed in Noonvale for a while and then after that Rose and Martin decide to wander or go off on a quest together and make it to Mossflower. But I think the problem with Rose surviving is that Brian Jacques didn't want Martin to have kids or descendants...

I think though that if BJ wrote MTW before Mossflower Rose would have still existed and died. She and her death served an important function to the rest of the series. First of all, the death of Martin's love interest makes Martin into somewhat of a tragic hero, I realize this isn't an exact fit but I use it in the sense that he had suffered a lot. Secondly it also provides a catalyst for Martin to leave the northlands and head south to Mossflower. Absent her death what else could have motivated Martin enough to leave his friends from the Siege of Marshank and subsequent slave rebellion behind ?

P.S. this is off-topic but one thing that left me wondering was why after the end of MTW didn't Martin visit the shores where his tribe lived ? Especially since that would seem like a much more logical place to go to than just going south- an area/direction he knew nothing about...

The Skarzs

Well, not only that, but his personality may not have been what it needed to be in order for Mossflower to turn out the way it did. Because of his loss, I feel that Martin changed in a way that helped him find the determination to fight Tsarmina.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Sanddunes

Quote from: Grond on October 10, 2018, 05:39:05 PM
To add to number 2- I guess its possible they would have stayed in Noonvale for a while and then after that Rose and Martin decide to wander or go off on a quest together and make it to Mossflower. But I think the problem with Rose surviving is that Brian Jacques didn't want Martin to have kids or descendants...

I think though that if BJ wrote MTW before Mossflower Rose would have still existed and died. She and her death served an important function to the rest of the series. First of all, the death of Martin's love interest makes Martin into somewhat of a tragic hero, I realize this isn't an exact fit but I use it in the sense that he had suffered a lot. Secondly it also provides a catalyst for Martin to leave the northlands and head south to Mossflower. Absent her death what else could have motivated Martin enough to leave his friends from the Siege of Marshank and subsequent slave rebellion behind ?

P.S. this is off-topic but one thing that left me wondering was why after the end of MTW didn't Martin visit the shores where his tribe lived ? Especially since that would seem like a much more logical place to go to than just going south- an area/direction he knew nothing about...

Rose would have had to die for the event of Mossflower to happen but Rose didn't  exist when Mossflower was written.

The Skarzs

Piknim, from Pearls of Lutra. Her and Craklyn were great partners and friends, and she had a great personality. Not only that, her death was over something so useless as a pearl.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Granitfur

Skor Axhound's younger son. Also, the pearls weren't supposed to be useless. They were supposed to be used to save the abbot and Viola, even though they ended up not being needed.

The Skarzs

Oh, I know. It didn't make me feel much better about it, though. Trading one life for another isn't something Redwallers always hold in high regard unless it is a knowing sacrifice.
And when we found out they didn't end up needing them, it just made it kinda worse.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: The Skarzs on November 27, 2018, 05:31:53 AM
Oh, I know. It didn't make me feel much better about it, though. Trading one life for another isn't something Redwallers always hold in high regard unless it is a knowing sacrifice.
And when we found out they didn't end up needing them, it just made it kinda worse.
Yeah, that did kind of suck.

Another death I thought shouldn't have happened is Bragoon and Saro. Those two were like the only reason why I would read Loamhedge and they both died.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

The Witessss

that was bad.

I didn't like when Rose died. I also didn't like the pigmy shrews that died because of whats-his-name from Taggerung.. that was sad.
the wwwiiiiiitttttttteeeeessssssss!

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: The Witessss on March 02, 2019, 01:17:15 AM
I also didn't like the pigmy shrews that died because of whats-his-name from Taggerung.. that was sad.
Oh yeah, that was the eel Yo Karr, right? I remember that was rather pathetic of the shrews. I mean, feed you kin to a monster so he doesn't eat anyone! that doesn't sound like a great plan to me. I guess they probably thought of as putting the needs of the many above the needs of the few, but still.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!