News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Dark Forest

Started by Galedeep, July 02, 2011, 11:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plugg Firetail

Lutra

Quote from: Taggerung The Otter on November 18, 2011, 08:01:16 PM
so martin the warrior went to hell :'(

You make it sound like I said that.  :P  I said I never gathered any sort of immaculate afterlife for any of the animals.  Mr. Jacques never gave Redwall a religion, so therefore, nothing to look forward to beyond your present earthly life.  The animals always called it the Dark Forest, so to me, that means a place for the dead and nothing more.  Does it sound splendid to really any of us when you hear that's your destiny on your deathbed?  So yeah, good or bad...seems like everyone goes to one place in the Redwall universe when they die.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Taggerung The Otter

For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

Oh yeah...buitiful verse... :D

Skipper

i disagree but i partly agree with you because you will often hear the warriors shouting that they will send the vermin to the dark forest and some good guys go there like in eulalia gorath sees boar and stuff there but if you read loamhedge saro and bragoon say to each other just before they die, ill see you in the sunny slopes and the quiet streams (or something like that)

Lutra

Guess I'll have to reread Loamhedge again and see for myself. :)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Lily

I always thought it was just a euphemism for dying. Just like we would usually say, "So-and-so passed away," instead of, "So-and-so died," because it seems a little more sensitive.

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Lily on November 22, 2011, 10:10:06 AM
I always thought it was just a euphemism for dying. Just like we would usually say, "So-and-so passed away," instead of, "So-and-so died," because it seems a little more sensitive.
That is a really good theory, actually, but the way they mention it makes it seem to me like they mean it as an actual place after death.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Mad Maudie

Well i kinda thought
Sunny slopes = Heaven
Dark forest = kinda like an afterlife but darker
Hellgates =hell
Cause you are the piece of me I wish I didn't need
Chasing relentlessly and I don't know why
If our love's tragedy why are you my remedy?
If our love's insanity why are you my clarity?
Why are you my clarity?

~Clarity~~Zedd~

Skipper

i agree with maudie but i think Dark forest is for walike goodguys like all the badger lords and stuff

Mad Maudie

well yeah for good guys it would not be nice if cluny was there duh!
Why are you my clarity?

~Clarity~~Zedd~

White One6193

I'm enthused by the idea of Dark Forest being a purgatory. It means that nobeast in Redwall is irredeemable. Definitely fits with Brian's Catholic background. 
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Mad Maudie

well actually he was not catholic, he was Anglican, but that is very close to catholic.
Why are you my clarity?

~Clarity~~Zedd~

Lily

I thought he referred to himself as a "working-class Catholic".

DanielofRedwall

Yes, Brian Jacques was Catholic, as he said in one of his interviews. And Maudie, I'm Anglican and I can name hundreds of differences between Anglican and Catholic! I'd say it's closer to Baptist.

Anyway, I think I like the idea Lily said here:
Quote from: Lily on November 22, 2011, 10:10:06 AM
Received mostly negative reviews.

Bragoon

I agree with Lily's theory.  I would also add that his Catholic beliefs may have played a part in how he invented those euphemisms, but as has been pointed out, he tried pretty hard to keep religion out his story.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16