News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Chess

Started by Taggerung The Otter, November 15, 2011, 01:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

what is Your favoritw chess peice

Knight
Queen
Pawn
Bishop
King
Rook

Cornflower MM

I'm not either, but the site shows you all the available moves and everything.

shisteer of nothing much

Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the game?
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

If it was a chess engine, yes. But I think it just shows you where you can move if you click on a certain piece, it doesn't tell you how good the move is.
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

shisteer of nothing much

Ooooh, okay. That makes a bit more sense.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

I made an account two years ago (on Chess.com) and probably only used it once or twice. Went back on today, changed my username (it is now NotTheOnlyBookworm, which is also my username on a couple of other things), and sent a friend request to anybody who's put their username on here. Anyone want a game?

Cornflower MM

Accepted! I'm terrible at chess but next time we're both online I wouldn't mind playing a game, I haven't played in a while. (I'm really bad, though.)

Booklover

New ECF grades are out! My standard went up but my rapid went down.

shisteer of nothing much

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

There are different time controls, when you play with chess clocks. Often there's a number of minutes plus an increment (generally an increment is 30 seconds or less). For working out how long you have altogether, it's based on the assumption that a game will last 60 moves (though I think some organisations use 50 moves as the estimate?), so the number of minutes plus the increment times 60.

Rapid is more than ten minutes but less than one hour (I've played a tournament when they made the time control 59 + 10 just to keep it rapid) each.

Standard is anything longer than one hour each. The longest I've ever had is three hours (including the thirty second increment, so could go on even longer) each, which could go on for as long as six hours. Usually games will get adjudicated if they go on for much longer when people are running on the increment.

Blitz is ten minutes or less and bullet is three minutes or less (but based on 40 move).

I prefer long rapid or short standard, anything less than half an hour is too short, for me, although online I generally play blitz. I usually don't write down if it's less than 25 minutes, because then I just get really low on time.

shisteer of nothing much

Oh. Honestly, I've never played chess with a timer. I just set the pieces up, find an opponent and play for as long as I need to before I win. (or lose, but I prefer to look at the bright side)

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

shisteer of nothing much

That too. Generally, if we have to leave halfway through, we see who's got the best/most pieces and decide from that. I don't think we've ever had the same pieces so it normally clears things up.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!