News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Questions

Started by Redwall Musician, June 16, 2011, 08:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwall Musician

I have one question about the whole Redwall series. What happened to Martin's shield and armor? After the time of Matthias, the both seemed to have vanished. Did I miss something about this? I always question this. I personally think Matthias re-hid them. Anyone has some thoughts about this?
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

martins#1fan

I've puzzled over that too, but I'm not sure.
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

The Lady Shael

@martins#1fan: Slow down on the posting for a bit! This isn't a game to get your name on the end of every topic in the forum. :) Quality over quantity.
~The Lady Shael Varonne of Mossflower Country
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/

Mariel

I think they are probably used by all the characters who use Martin's sword, but they aren''t mentioned.

martins#1fan

@ladyshale I can do what I want to do, It's a free country!

martins#1fan

Quote from: Mariel on June 16, 2011, 11:26:05 PM
I think they are probably used by all the characters who use Martin's sword, but they aren''t mentioned.
Really? do you think so?

Redwall Musician

I'm not sure about that Mariel. Like in Rackety Tam, Tam used Martin's sword but his own shield. But you never know...
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

The Lady Shael

Quote from: martins#1fan on June 17, 2011, 03:35:01 PM
@ladyshale I can do what I want to do, It's a free country!

The internet isn't a country, but fine, do what you want.
~The Lady Shael Varonne of Mossflower Country
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/

Matthias720

Quote from: Redwall Musician on June 16, 2011, 08:51:31 PM
I have one question about the whole Redwall series. What happened to Martin's shield and armor? After the time of Matthias, the both seemed to have vanished. Did I miss something about this? I always question this. I personally think Matthias re-hid them. Anyone has some thoughts about this?
I never really gave it much thought. In the TV show, Cornflower and Silent Sam found the armor in attic somewhere, but the books don't really specify where Matthias's armor came from. Maybe the shrews lent it to him, or Captain Snow gave it as a parting gift. Wherever it came from though, we never hear about it again.

Oh great, now I can't stop thinking about it. >< :D

Tiria Wildlough

I think that it  makes sense that Matthias would re-hide them. I certainly can't think of anything else.
Or maybe they were just kept for those who needed them.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Osu

They might have been destroyed or rusted away or something like that... they weren't made special like the sword was, so...
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Redwall Musician

I don't think it would rust away. If it were to rust, why didn't it before Matthias found it?

sabretache5611

Quote from: Osu on July 04, 2011, 04:15:57 PM
They might have been destroyed or rusted away or something like that... they weren't made special like the sword was, so...

look im purely speculating, but it seems that jacques eventually took the redwall series away from it being centred on weapons + armour of martin, and more focused on spirit and legacy of martin.  At Pearls of Lutra, only sword mentioned and stories were quite focused on abbey warriors (Look at Triss, rakkety tam, loamhedge, taggerung, Marlfox.  the long patrol is an exception as Arven got only minor role) until High Rhulain in which the focus on the abbey warrior and martin's sword immediately diminished.  In doomwyte, eulalia and Sable Quean, martin's sword is mentioned, but not really focused on an abbey warrior wielding martin's sword, (Laird Bowlaynee is given the sword, but the plot focus isn't really on him).  In the time prior to Matthias and after Mossflower, only the sword was mentioned, these books were published after Mattimeo.  The books in this period also had great focus on martin's sword, (Mariel, Salamandastrom).

Basically all the books that mention martin's sword, shield and armour were published early on, but later the focus on the shield and armour disappeared and by high rhulain, the focus on Martin's sword had waned.  Its as if Jacques decided in the later books that the sword wasn't so important as Martin's legacy and spirit, which never did disappear. (or at least in all the books i've read, which excludes only The Rogue Crew)

am i making any sense???
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

Osu

You're making perfect sense and I agree. While I was reading Sable Quean I actually wondered about that - it seemed like the sword played hardly any part at all. Same for the Rogue Crew. I was a little disappointed because it seems like such an important part of the series.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Icefire

Yeah, that makes sense. I do miss the sword though...
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!